Drilling holes into coins

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
In your humble opinion,what is the most common drill size used for this practice ? Are we talking American Standard or Metric ? Does anyone have a complete set of drilled coins ? How about a complete set of coins with all the drill sizes represented ?
Cheers, JP

Attachments

• il_fullxfull_215431570.jpg
    il_fullxfull_215431570.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 727
Upvote 0

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody calls them "holed" coins, but I think the numismatic term is "pierced".

I was thinking of building a type set of holed coins, but some of the modern issues would be hard. I did find a holed 1964 nickel just the other day.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I am sure you know that some of the older coins were holed to be sewn into clothing so they wouldn't be lost.

Oh, I would be willing to supply you with New holed coin for a slight premium. :tongue3: :laughing7:

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen some 1970s Halves that had a hole in them. I hear people put the hole there and tied a string through it to try to pull it out of a vending machine after it took the coin.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Historically, old 1800 coins were sometimes holed by Confederate soldiers and given to their
wives or girlfriends to wear as a good luck charm when they went off to fight in the civil war.
If they were initialed they are sometimes called "love tokens". A lot of history in them.
rileyboy

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I stick em with my lesser quality coins when i trade em in. Note that i stay away from the dealers who weigh coins when im selling tho they are good for when im buying.

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
My Original Post Was a Joke,Sorry For the Confusion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions