Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Teller: "if I did that I could lose my job"

Hit a Comerica bank for loose halves yesterday. Head teller says, "If you're looking for silver you won't find any, as we have to refuse customer deposits of coins 1964 and earlier." (Silver content).
Wow. Thats a new one on me. I bought the $27.50 (2 rolls and loose) that she had, and left. No keepers.
Anyone else ever run into that?
Anywho, I'm suspicious.

Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Teller: "if I did that I could lose my job"

If I this teller is also a coin roll hunter I guess it would make sense. This teller does not want anyone else looking in his or her territory.

If this rule applies to all 1964 and older coins go and assemble a roll of 1964 nickels - should be pretty easy to do, then write 1964 and older on the paper roll and have a friend go and see if they can trade their old doll of nickels for two one dollar bills. Have your friend mention that they were in with some estate items or something. Heh I bet that this teller will snatch them up quicker then anything.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Scott (Mich) said:
If I this teller is also a coin roll hunter I guess it would make sense. This teller does not want anyone else looking in his or her territory.

If this rule applies to all 1964 and older coins go and assemble a roll of 1964 nickels - should be pretty easy to do, then write 1964 and older on the paper roll and have a friend go and see if they can trade their old doll of nickels for two one dollar bills. Have your friend mention that they were in with some estate items or something. Heh I bet that this teller will snatch them up quicker then anything.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

Why assemble anything or say anything. Just have your friend take a couple of rolls of your dumps and mark 1964, 1965 or SILVER on the wrapper and see what happens.

CRH Mojo

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil

I think that this teller is trying to hoodwink you... this person is either a Crher or doenst want to deal with us CRHs ..I would ask the manager about this because it makes no bloody sense and if there is problems with getting any "good rolls " from them ... use them as a dump bank :thumbsup: let that teller pick through lots of crap clad ....

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Even if it is 1964 or older its still legal tender and I believe the bank is required to take it by law.

I have never heard of a bank refusing to take older coins.

I did have one bank say that they weren't allowed to sell older coins to customers. I suspect that the manager/owner of the bank/branch was keeping them for themself and just using the tellers to do the sorting.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of my local bank tellers told me their bank requires them to tell a customer if they bring in something that may be worth more than face value.

XX

Jan 11, 2008

GMan00001 said:
Even if it is 1964 or older its still legal tender and I believe the bank is required to take it by law.

There is no such law. A bank is a business and they are there to make a profit. They can even dump you as a customer if they wanted to. (ING Direct has been dumping unprofitable customers for quite some time).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions