Tellers Who Search the Halves for You...

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my first modern half dollar coin roll hunting experience. I discovered this forum in April while on spring break w/ the fam in Sedona AZ (Gilmore's stomping grounds? Spiritual Enlightenment Counselor by day and CRHer by night?) Anyway, I went to a credit union up the street from my house to try my luck. It went a little something like this...

Teller: Hi! Can I help you?
Me: Hello. I am looking for half dollars. Have any rolls?
Teller: No rolls but I have a bagful in the back that someone brought in.
Me: Great. About how many?
Teller: Probably $300. Are you looking for the silver ones?
Me: Uh... Silver?
Teller: Ya. People buy them & search them for silver. The silver ones are worth a lot of money.
Me: (speechless)... Ya. I do that. (What the hell am I supposed to say???) I'll take them.
Teller: We aren't busy.. Have a seat over there & we will look through them & get all the silver for you.
Me: Uh... Okay! (I'll just be right here in this chair reading the posts on Treasurnet while you go in the back and find me some silver.)
(About 15 minutes later...)
Teller: Okay.. Only found 2. Sorry. That'll be $1.00.
Me: Thanks. Sorry u had to do all that work for 2 silvers (better than buying $300 in clad for 2 silvers then having to dump it!) Have a good day! Thanks again.

And that's my first (modern) success story w/ half hunting! (Both 40%ers by the way... 67 & 69d)
Too bad all tellers aren't like that!

HH

Baddbluff
Teller:

Upvote 0

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I remember seeing that episode of Twilight Zone!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
that's what I call damn good customer service - unless of course the tellers kept some silver for themselves. :)

HH

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a teller who is the exact opposite and buys any Ikes and looks through halves as soon as someone brings them in, to show my respect for her, I give her about 6k dollars in halves to lug to the vault every week. :laughing9:

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet, lol i know what others might say so Im going to say it first,

The teller probably took 28 of the silvers and gave u 2 so you wont feel so bad. lol. seriously, get them all next time by yourself and search, might find more that way.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
ahsq said:
welcome to Tnet, lol i know what others might say so Im going to say it first,

The teller probably took 28 of the silvers and gave u 2 so you wont feel so bad. lol. seriously, get them all next time by yourself and search, might find more that way.

I for one disagree 100% with this comment- If she was a silver fiend like everyone here on Tnet, no way she would have done that for him. even if she found 100 silvers, she wouldnt have given him 2 of them. I do not understand why it is so hard for most people on here to believe that there are a few tellers out there who just like to do nice things for people,-they have zero interest in silver for themselves, and enjoy seeing the look on our faces when they hand us silver for face value...

Tell me Tnet'ers, would any of you hand over even 1 or 2- 40%'ers to a stranger, just because you found so many more than that you can spare a couple??? just for kicks? I say not a chance in hell!

I have several tellers who will do things like this for me, i.e. saving silvers for when they see me in the bank, "here chris look what i have for you today-I found it a week ago, but you havent been in...".... or hand over a few foreigns that they would normally just throw away (often times silver). I would not pass up an offer like that, "yeah sure sweetheart, if you would do that for me, (do all the work by finding all the silvers, and just sell me those..) It would mean some major goodies for you and your "friends" here next time I am around the area. I cant imagine a more perfect scenario, have tellers do what takes me the most time and energy, while I get to reap the cold, hard, precious rewards.

I see no problem with it badbluff, and congrats on your score. If you havent already though, you really need to take here a good treat, (not a cheapo one), and make sure she knows how awesome you think she is, and let her know that it will be "treats-for everyone" anytime she wanted to call you to inform you that she has more of the hard white stuff waiting for you......I truly believe that this is one of the most effective tools in this game in todays extremely competetive environment. The part that takes the time though, is finding those silver trained tellers, (without being the one who trains them), who are willing to make you smile by handing it over, and then building the type of relationship with them that will motivate them to make you their exclusive "old coin collecting customer"..... If anyone gets that figured out let me know...

Chris.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sedona is a VERY unique place indeed. I really wanted to post some pictures on here that I took while flying over it on final approach, but I cant find my thumb drive, wife has it. I flew up there alot when I was in flight school, freakin beautiful, and very immortal-like. ha

Anyways.

She couldve taken the 90%'s for herself, but who knows. I think RockDoc is right...if she was a culler, she wouldnt have even brought the bag up. I would milk that silvertrain dry. Ask her how often you should come in...and dont miss an appointment.

Non-cullers do exist. I have ONE bank, that the tellers dont care about silver at all. Dude says, here I got a silver dime for you. I slap myself in the face, wondering if Im in another city in my dream....in fact, it's the same bank where I got my 1921 Morgan and a bunch of 90%s and 40%'s out of their drawers. I do believe it's the only bank in Phoenix that KNOWS about silver but DOESNT care. :icon_profileleft:

Good luck on that honey hole, sounds fun. I believe Sedona might hold 100's of ounces of junk silver. Never tried it out yet. Only 1:30 away from me too.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one bank like this too. One teller would search the rolls for me in front of me. She even gave me the first wild quarter she found when I wasn't there. I always stop this bank every two weeks and always find something.

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
They shouldn't be allowed to do that. They are obviously up to something. I'd be like oh thats ok I like to look myself. If they refused then involve a manager.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thats like the freindy store clerk who will scracth off the the lotto tickets for you , so you do not have to-- either their very very freindly or a crook --gues which one is more likely normally ?

if she was indeed that "freindly" and she is single and you are too ask her out -- a woman that will bend over backwards to do stuff for you is rare indeed these days.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
That's awesome, not many tellers around who would still go out of their way for a customer. Sound like I might have to take the drive up to Sedona, lol.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old "one for you two for me" except it was more like "one for you ten for me" lol should just insist on buying the whole bag next time.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
if she was indeed that "freindly" and she is single and you are too ask her out -- a woman that will bend over backwards to do stuff for you is rare indeed these days.

Yes, rare indeed. Just imagine what else she will bend over backwards for? Anything you want.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I would ask myself three questions:

"Does she REALLY know what I know about searching silver?"

and

"Does she do what she says she is doing in giving me all the silver she finds".

and

"Why isn't she letting me do this for myself?"

Take the silver if that's the only way to get it there, but I would greatly prefer keeping her hands out of it.

Keep on Rollin' !

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this story is just like my other post but your teller went though alot more effort! congrats on gettin an "IN" with the bank. I'm sure you'll be visiting there again 8)

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Some tellers do know about the silver coins and want to hoard them. A friend of mine worked in a B of A. He was a teller and also a coin collector. He would get anything he could out of his drawer, apparently he could ask the manager and she would let him buy it from the drawer. He told me several times he told people if I were you I'd hold onto this and they would just respond back nah just give me the $.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
mws_1984 said:
Some tellers do know about the silver coins and want to hoard them. A friend of mine worked in a B of A. He was a teller and also a coin collector. He would get anything he could out of his drawer, apparently he could ask the manager and she would let him buy it from the drawer. He told me several times he told people if I were you I'd hold onto this and they would just respond back nah just give me the $.

I have heard the exact same thing from more than one tellers at banks.... people are crazy.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I dont think that she was lying and keeping some silver coins for herself, but I would recommend in future buying the whole bag for yourself. She or other tellers might not know which coins have silver and which do not. What you consider a keeper may be different than her defination. Consider

NIFCs
Clad Proofs
Silver 1976 S
Silver Proofs (1992-Present)
Foreign Coins
US Large Cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread