VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Hartsville battlefield/U.S. camp is the hardest hunted Civil War site in middle Tennessee. Our late friend Mr. Taylor let everyone who asked permission hunt for relics there since the mid-1960s. That small site has been searched by literally hundreds of relic hunters.
Sometimes, you just need to return to where it all started. In 1995, I dug my first bullet there and even though I knew that little was left to recover, yesterday I went back to the spot again with the F75 in hand this time not expecting to find much. The remaining relics were deep. I was surprised to dig a small civilian iron spur probably used by Col. John Hunt Morgan’s Confederate Cavalry forces. This is meaningful to me because I had two ancestors who rode with the 9[SUP]th[/SUP] TN C.S.A. Cavalry who fought in that battle with Morgan. See the first pic to see my 9-23 finds. The conical bullet is a .54 Burnside carbine.
I returned this morning (9-24) and Tenn. Josh came directly from work and joined me for about an hour and a half. This was Josh’s first opportunity to hunt that historic site. He found many pieces of deep campfire lead, a fired Enfield bullet, fired pistol ball, and a nice carved nipple protector. I dug 2 dropped .58 cal. bullets, fired pistol ball, and a few iron relics. Josh took his relics with him so only my relics are shown in the last pic.
Not our best day but not bad as the relics there in that historic site are few and far between anymore. HH from Josh & Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN1231.JPG
    DSCN1231.JPG
    478.2 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN1235.JPG
    DSCN1235.JPG
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 6

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Q, congrats on the hunt, but especially on finding the partial spur from the TN 9th CSA cavalry. I know how excited I was the first time I found an item from my g-granddaddy's camp from the NC 7th Infantry CSA. It really takes you back to hold something in your hand that could have belonged to your ancestors.

With the cooler weather coming our way, I'm sure you'll have more finds and great videos!

Way to go :thumbsup:

Breezie

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As always, good stuff Q!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't watch here but subbed for later :)

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on finds with a history, and from what you say about that field, it's the kind that tests skill, not luck:thumbsup:

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great finds! it's cooling down here in Va. so hope to be out this weekend. Good luck to you!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Q, you guys could squeeze CW relics out of a cow patty! Nice job guys. :occasion14:
You said Dman was "MIA". Was that Moustache Inspection & Adjustment?
Nice recoveries from the Tenn Duo.
-DUHg-

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Good to see you and Josh get a few more relics out of that place. When I first started relic hunting (early 1970's) guys told me that Hartsville was a waste of time, cleaned out! It is amazing that you are still digging a few relics up there.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Breezie. Larry Hicklen of Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics in Murfreesboro told me today that the spur was exactly what Morgan's Cavalry had to use. We will try to keep you entertained this fall. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang Q, you guys could squeeze CW relics out of a cow patty! Nice job guys. :occasion14:
You said Dman was "MIA". Was that Moustache Inspection & Adjustment?
Nice recoveries from the Tenn Duo.
-DUHg-
I finally talked to him today. He planned to meet us this am but had other things that ran over. He'll rejoin us next week-mustache & all-LOL. As you said one time "That place had been hunted more than Willie Nelson's tour bus"-LOL. Take care, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see you and Josh get a few more relics out of that place. When I first started relic hunting (early 1970's) guys told me that Hartsville was a waste of time, cleaned out! It is amazing that you are still digging a few relics up there.

Thanks Donnie & I wish you & Julia could have joined us this am. We'll get together soon. It was 47 deg. when I got there at 7 am & 80 deg. when I left at 11 am. HH, Q.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I was golfing today. I needed to win some money so I can relic hunt this fall. LOL

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you men are finding something over there in middle tennessee. Not much left here in Chattanooga to find. Its about all gone. But what fond memories we have ! There was a farm in Decherd .....oh well ....wont tell that story here.....

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Quindy , enjoyed your old stomping grounds hunt . Goes to show time and time again , seek and ye shall find ,, " Never hunted out " .

:icon_scratch: That's right ..... I heard you , everyone has to be aware of those meanass rattler snakes out there 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions