VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all, Tennessee lost a legendary relic hunter this week who was a good friend of tenn. digger (Donnie). Mr. Doug Drake from Nashville passed away this week. He began relic hunting in the late 1950s and nobody will ever have the knowledge of historic sites that he did. He was very nice to me when I began relic hunting and I sought his counsel on several occasions. In my opinion, the measure of a relic hunter is not what he/she has found but the willingness to share their knowledge with others. I could not think of a better way to celebrate the life of Mr. Drake today than to do what he dearly loved to do-go relic hunting.
We (Tenn. Trio) are still pulling relics from the Williams Cleaner camp despite the weather. I made a trip for 3 hours last Sat. and dug the 7 cleaned up bullets and 1940 Wheatie probably from WW2 maneuvers in the pic. Doug & I went hunting for 4 hours on Tuesday and found bullets from a field that we scouted about half a mile from the main camp. This field turned up a fired .69 cal. 3 ringer, fired .58s, pistol balls, and 2 dropped .69 cal. balls. The .69s are not found in the camp proper and the Smith Carbine bullets that we dug during a previous trip near that field are not dug in the camp either indicating another possible regimental camp. The Sharps, Williams Cleaner bullets, iron buckles, and Doug’s tent grommet came from the camp proper. Doug just had to dig the brass décor piece in the center-LOL. It actually looked like a spur in the 8 in. hole he dug when I looked down at it.
Josh wanted to go a couple of hours early this morning and our finds are shown on the blue towel. I moved all my Williams Cleaner related relics to a new box as shown. I already have 7 more to add to that box from recent hunts. American Digger Magazine has already accepted my article on the Trio hunting the Williams Cleaner camp and it should be in print this fall. HH from the trio, Q.
To date, the Trio has dug 361 CW relics from the site since Dec. 6.

Attachments

• Q 1-11-14.JPG
    Q 1-11-14.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Doug & Q 1-14.JPG
    Doug & Q 1-14.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 194
  • DSCN0985.JPG
    DSCN0985.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 198
  • wc 8.JPG
    wc 8.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 12

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of the passing of Mr. Doug. Sounds like the kind of person we should aspire to emulate. But good finds and thanks for sharing. I'm sure he is smiling down at your success.
SAFE & Happy Detecting!!!!
Dave

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very sorry to hear about your friend's passing, Sir. I can tell by your post he was very respected by you. A willingness to help and direct us new people in this hobby is something not taken lightly by me.
Congrats again for outstanding finds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still tearin' up Quindy!! Great save's for the Trio as usual.Sorry to hear about Mr. Drake

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He would have been intrigued with the WC Site for sure. Glad that we have guys like you all who keep passing it on and are willing to take the time to share and help others. One generation falls another rises.Keep digging.
HH
TnMtns

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't wait to read the piece in AD Quindy - good work!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Good commits about my old friend Doug Drake (he never did tell me where that big Confederate camp was Quindy :laughing9:) Doug found more that we could ever even dream of. I know he dug well over 60,000 minie balls alone....I know it's hard to believe but it's true. Looks like you guys have done great in that old camp...which some of the old-timers said was cleaned out. You are going to have to buy some more display cases!!! Talk to you soon.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sorry for your loss guys,mr.Drake sounds like a legend in his own time. Great finds Tennessee Trio.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good commits about my old friend Doug Drake (he never did tell me where that big Confederate camp was Quindy :laughing9:) Doug found more that we could ever even dream of. I know he dug well over 60,000 minie balls alone....I know it's hard to believe but it's true. Looks like you guys have done great in that old camp...which some of the old-timers said was cleaned out. You are going to have to buy some more display cases!!! Talk to you soon.

Thanks Donnie. For those who may have seen Mr. Drake and didn't know his name, here's a pic I made of Doug Drake, you, & Mike Mctaggart at the 2012 CW show. Doug was one of a kind and he wouldn't do anything but laugh when you asked him where that camp was at the show-LOL. See you Monday. Q.

Attachments

• DSCN0178.JPG
    DSCN0178.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Old Doug always wore those overalls. He was quite a character. Thanks for posting that picture!

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for putting up the pic, Mr. Q. Mr Drake looks like many country gentlemen: a caring and honest individual who would probably stop whatever he was doing to help a stranger in need. You can tell he spent many hours in his lifetime outside and his smile looks genuine and easy to come. The world loses much when someone like this passes. Your tribute to him speaks volumes about yourself. I am sure he had a true friend in you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I met Mr Doug Drake at a Historical society meeting in Lafayette a few years ago. He will be greatly missed.
D

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Q, I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Drake. I'm sure his friends and family appreciate your tribute to him.

Way to go on scoring more great finds; I'm sure there are MORE! Also, congrats on the upcoming article in AMERICAN DIGGER MAGAZINE. Did the article ever run about the carved bullets?

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Q, I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Drake. I'm sure his friends and family appreciate your tribute to him.

Way to go on scoring more great finds; I'm sure there are MORE! Also, congrats on the upcoming article in AMERICAN DIGGER MAGAZINE. Did the article ever run about the carved bullets?

:)
Breezie
Thanks Breezie. Ironically, Mr. Drake and I talked about hunting together but never got to do it. The carved bullet article (actually about Western Theater Confederates needing to improvise) will run in North South Trader's Civil War Magazine. I'll give you a heads up when I get the draft for approval. HH, Q.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy, Very sorry to hear of the loss of Mr. Drake...wish I could have met him, I am guessing he had some incredible stories to tell of the early years of relic hunting. It also looks like the Trio is off to an incredible 2014 start. Bill

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy,
Very sorry to hear about the loss of Donnie's and your friend Doug Drake. He sounds like quite the character. You have been a great help to me over the years on CW questions, like Mr. Drake was with you. Very much appreciated.

I drool every time I see those relics on that red background. Simply amazing! One h3ll of a spot you have there. :thumbsup: Congrats to the Trio. And here I thought we were going to lose Dman to golf. :tongue3:

Looking forward to reading your article in AD. :occasion14:
-NC Doug-

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Sorry to hear of the Loss of such a Legend to relic hunting and a good friend to you guys. It's Amazing to see the relics that have been saved and documented by our experienced mentors and friends , But the sharing of stories, knowledge and fellowship is something that will never be forgotton in our memory.

I hope this will be a record Year for you all and glad We have the opportunity to see it through here on Tnet. Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread