VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all, Tennessee lost a legendary relic hunter this week who was a good friend of tenn. digger (Donnie). Mr. Doug Drake from Nashville passed away this week. He began relic hunting in the late 1950s and nobody will ever have the knowledge of historic sites that he did. He was very nice to me when I began relic hunting and I sought his counsel on several occasions. In my opinion, the measure of a relic hunter is not what he/she has found but the willingness to share their knowledge with others. I could not think of a better way to celebrate the life of Mr. Drake today than to do what he dearly loved to do-go relic hunting.
We (Tenn. Trio) are still pulling relics from the Williams Cleaner camp despite the weather. I made a trip for 3 hours last Sat. and dug the 7 cleaned up bullets and 1940 Wheatie probably from WW2 maneuvers in the pic. Doug & I went hunting for 4 hours on Tuesday and found bullets from a field that we scouted about half a mile from the main camp. This field turned up a fired .69 cal. 3 ringer, fired .58s, pistol balls, and 2 dropped .69 cal. balls. The .69s are not found in the camp proper and the Smith Carbine bullets that we dug during a previous trip near that field are not dug in the camp either indicating another possible regimental camp. The Sharps, Williams Cleaner bullets, iron buckles, and Doug’s tent grommet came from the camp proper. Doug just had to dig the brass décor piece in the center-LOL. It actually looked like a spur in the 8 in. hole he dug when I looked down at it.
Josh wanted to go a couple of hours early this morning and our finds are shown on the blue towel. I moved all my Williams Cleaner related relics to a new box as shown. I already have 7 more to add to that box from recent hunts. American Digger Magazine has already accepted my article on the Trio hunting the Williams Cleaner camp and it should be in print this fall. HH from the trio, Q.
To date, the Trio has dug 361 CW relics from the site since Dec. 6.

Attachments

• Q 1-11-14.JPG
    Q 1-11-14.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Doug & Q 1-14.JPG
    Doug & Q 1-14.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0985.JPG
    DSCN0985.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • wc 8.JPG
    wc 8.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 12
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Dave, Jpro, OD, Civilman (I was wondering where have you been), Richard (Tnmountains), Richard (Old Stonewall), Cgirl, Casper 2, Nick, Bill (Sekypaleo), & Bill in KY (Nova Treasure).
MM, Dman doesn't play golf in cold weather. He says his toes get cold-LOL.
Breezie, thanks for the id. of Dman's "decor" find.
Thanks to everyone who looked, Q.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Donnie. For those who may have seen Mr. Drake and didn't know his name, here's a pic I made of Doug Drake, you, & Mike Mctaggart at the 2012 CW show. Doug was one of a kind andd he wouldn't do anything but laugh when you asked him where that camp was at the show-LOL. See you Monday. Q.

Quindy, sorry to here this. One of the guys I hunt with was looking for him at the show in Franklin and I was looking foreword to meeting him. But that was not to be. That was my loss would like to have meet him, if not for just a short time. I know that he was a good man and we all lost someone with more knowledge than we will ever have. HH Mr. Drake. Bill.

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008
thanks for posting that about Doug.i got to hunt with him in Gallatin.we dug in a bottle dump.it was great then he said lets hunt over where guns were made during the Civil War in Gallatin.we found several relics .I remember him finding a 1837 big penny.he seem to able to smell relics. I remember Roger was hunting with him and just driving down the road....he told Roger it looked good,, they got permission and Roger found sevel CS plates there.he will be missed for sure .I hope the trio has a good year.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
RIP Mr Doug Drake...

Quindy that camp has to have had a specific purpose..

Nice digs

Blaze

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quindy, sorry to here this. One of the guys I hunt with was looking for him at the show in Franklin and I was looking foreword to meeting him. But that was not to be. That was my loss would like to have meet him, if not for just a short time. I know that he was a good man and we all lost someone with more knowledge than we will ever have. HH Mr. Drake. Bill.

got2dig, Mr. Drake had a table purchased for the show but was too sick to attend last December. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for posting that about Doug.i got to hunt with him in Gallatin.we dug in a bottle dump.it was great then he said lets hunt over where guns were made during the Civil War in Gallatin.we found several relics .I remember him finding a 1837 big penny.he seem to able to smell relics. I remember Roger was hunting with him and just driving down the road....he told Roger it looked good,, they got permission and Roger found sevel CS plates there.he will be missed for sure .I hope the trio has a good year.
I know you hunted with him several times Don. He was a true digging legend. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RIP Mr Doug Drake...

Quindy that camp has to have had a specific purpose..

Nice digs

Blaze
We are beginning to think it was a supply camp and cavalry apparently camped there as well JB. The large amount of camp lead that we dig each trip indicates many fires. However, we have not recovered the knapsack hooks, carved bullets, brass, and buttons in the quantities that we have dug in other camps. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This Texas boy always enjoys seeing what you guys dig up. Keep it coming Q.

Texas and Tennessee are forever interwined TAH. A few of our greatest Tennessee citizens never returned homr from a little church in San Antonio in the effort to help out Texas. We enjoy your finds as well. HH, q.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry Q to hear about Mr. Drake. Sounds like he was a wonderful man.
Congrats on the finds. :)
Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread