Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy have I been missing T-Net and artifacts. Watching everyone posting and not having time to go was killing me. We have been flooded all winter but the water dropped and it was 32 degrees when I hitched the boat this morning.Just perfect. There are hundreds of trees down and washing out from the floods. I saw one boat all day and got a picture of his catch. For me it was a great day. I have not even attempted typology on all of these other than being stoked on getting the little Hamilton triangular. I hunted over a 10 mile stretch of friends muddy fields. Please feel free to give opinions on the one particular hornstone point from the insitu. Thanks everyone. Its good to be back !
TnMountains
000_0144.JPG
000_0145.JPG
What we call a turtle back scrapper
000_0147.JPG
000_0149.JPG
000_0153.JPG
Opinions please....
000_0146.JPG
000_0155.JPG
The high water on the banks of the fields.
000_0157.JPG
000_0158.JPG
Insitu and point.
000_0156.JPG
I kept seeing this guy checking his trot line. Stopped and talked to him he had a boat load of catfish.
100_2530.JPG
Total for the day some cool tools.
100_2533.JPG
My best find. Maybe?
HH
TnMountains

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
That is a great Clovis.

Did you see any other materials in the spot where you found the Clovis point? Do you think there is a contemporary activity area in that spot, or do you think the Clovis is an isolated find from hunting activities or from river action?

If you did find any flakes, cores, etc., I would love to see some pictures.

That Clovis stuff is pretty special. I have spent more time than you would believe walking the American West. Encounters with the Clovis people are very rare.
Plehbah
Thank you. The state is wanting to add its location to the the southeast's fluted point survey database. I contacted many of your peers in the Archaeological community for typology and opinions.I had a expert in paleoindians in this area give his opinion. The concensus was from "the pictures" a heavily resharpened fluted Clovis.
The site is a very high bank with all materials traveling out of the bank and a very short distance to water.I normally do not stop there because nothing ever sticks or stays there long and is swept quickly to deep water by wave action.
I feel there is contemporary activity in this area but had felt this was an isolated incident. I might be able to obtain permission to test dig the area above on the high ground from where it came it being private property. The area is documented from paleo to de -soto to the trail of tears. I found a broke Dalton several hundred yards away as well as a recent 500 year old Hamilton.
These broken river cobble cores and a chert core and a knapped "what is it "where in this spot . In the second picture is the total right after the hunt un cleaned. I chunked the slate uni type piece but looking at the pictures now notice edge work.
Hopefully I will at some point find a true paleo spot without all the debris of other cultures mixed in. That's what I am trying to learn to recognise.
This forum has helped me a lot.
TnMtns

Attachments

• 100_2589.JPG
    100_2589.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 000_0159.JPG
    000_0159.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 300

seaguy

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2010
Orange Beach,AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax and a Tiger Shark
Congrats there TnMtns ! I don't think there is any question about that clovice. I know I'd proudly call it that even if the Smithsonian wouldn't pay a 100 for it. I have seen a great many of them in shows over the years even back when they were mostly genuine. There was a great variance in them which one should expect since they weren't all made by the same guy. I used to hunt in the Limestone creek area and I saw several made of that type flint even though the local stone was tan.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seaguy said:
Congrats there TnMtns ! I don't think there is any question about that clovice. I know I'd proudly call it that even if the Smithsonian wouldn't pay a 100 for it. I have seen a great many of them in shows over the years even back when they were mostly genuine. There was a great variance in them which one should expect since they weren't all made by the same guy. I used to hunt in the Limestone creek area and I saw several made of that type flint even though the local stone was tan.

Welcome to T-Net Sea guy !!

I appreciate your knowledge. Had a lot of Archaeologist look at it and Tennessee's expert in paleoindian in Tennessee. They concur. The value will never be an issue for me as this is just a hobby with never ending knowledge and lots of friends with plenty of miles in between. I also trust the knowledge by the many collectors on this board.
Welcome and have fun.
TnMtns

cowboykelly

Dec 10, 2007
Lubbock
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Wow, great day of arrowhead huntin! Awesome post! Just remember, keep looking down on the world!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow/well done,i mised alot i see.happy or ya, jamey

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds....congrats ! :hello:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMtn, Congrats on your finds and I too think ya broke into the "Paleo" era, I gotta get back into the rocks, I've had no luck since I moved to Dalton, But then Again I had no Civil War relics until I moved to Dalton. LOL...........Congrats amd .......HH:hello2:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured I would bring this back to the top seeing I had never seen this thread. What a great find!

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rock. The very next weekend I found a Beaver lake and now nothing older than kirks or daltons. Maybe some tools but without context they are just tools. That elusive site is out there but it is like a treasure legend you could spend you life looking for. I have seen many finer specimens found. My area is known for copying styles and they used to say we had pockets of paleo stuck here in the S.E. but I am not sure of that.Thanks for bringing this old post back up but the cool thing is if you look back and use the advanced search you can find many and better hunts than this one. Thanks for your kind words.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone this is a pretty old post. I think a lot of people have some really cool old post buried in this place. I still have all those pieces.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea how I mised this post.... huge congrats!!!!! you beat me to the club. beautiful Clovis :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread