Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy have I been missing T-Net and artifacts. Watching everyone posting and not having time to go was killing me. We have been flooded all winter but the water dropped and it was 32 degrees when I hitched the boat this morning.Just perfect. There are hundreds of trees down and washing out from the floods. I saw one boat all day and got a picture of his catch. For me it was a great day. I have not even attempted typology on all of these other than being stoked on getting the little Hamilton triangular. I hunted over a 10 mile stretch of friends muddy fields. Please feel free to give opinions on the one particular hornstone point from the insitu. Thanks everyone. Its good to be back !
TnMountains
000_0144.JPG
000_0145.JPG
What we call a turtle back scrapper
000_0147.JPG
000_0149.JPG
000_0153.JPG
Opinions please....
000_0146.JPG
000_0155.JPG
The high water on the banks of the fields.
000_0157.JPG
000_0158.JPG
Insitu and point.
000_0156.JPG
I kept seeing this guy checking his trot line. Stopped and talked to him he had a boat load of catfish.
100_2530.JPG
Total for the day some cool tools.
100_2533.JPG
My best find. Maybe?
HH
TnMountains

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
creek astronaut said:
Neanderthal said:
Dunno if that's Clovis, but those are some great looking points. Congrats on a good hunt, and fish to boot!
If you found it what type of point would you call it???

That's the thing, I don't have it in my hand am having to judge from a picture. From the image provided, I can't for sure say that it's a Clovis over another type, like Dalton, or later. In other words, I'm too ig-no-rant (censored my word) to make the call, lol. I'm not saying that it's not Clovis, it definitely could be.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal said:
Dunno if that's Clovis, but those are some great looking points. Congrats on a good hunt, and fish to boot!

Thank you Matt for the compliments. Never having found one I was scared to say anything so here I am before my peers. I have had some local collectors with much more knowledge and major collections than I look at it.They have all had work published and been involved with major local excavations. We tried trans paleo wheeler and others but their opinions were Clovis unfluted.(it actually has a semi flute drove from the base on one side possibly unintentional) I have also contacted a Archaeologist and the University of Tennessee for their expert opinions as well. The South East and this area that produced this point has produced more Clovis than anywhere else in the United States. The area I was in is documented with Clovis.Yet they are still a rare find for the surface hunter. From this county alone I have since seen similar examples (flaking size similar material).The source of the material is a local chert what they called Chickamauga black. I think its more blueish to me and I called it horn stone.
To me it was a good hunt and fun finds. I do not hunt for name recognition or accolades just the chance to share and learn.To be honest I was so happy to find that little triangular I could have popped anything else was icing on the cake : )
Here is another similar. Its close.

Attachments

• 000_0153.JPG
    000_0153.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,876
  • 000_0153.JPG
    000_0153.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,870
  • clovis3681.jpg
    clovis3681.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,932

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Those type of days don't come along too often TNM, and it seems like it's been forever for me. I can see the thinning on the base in your last photo. For me, Wheeler doesn't appear very likely. Wheeler seem to always have very steep basal retouch, thinning being done early in the reduction process.
(Ramble on)
It's funny how basal retouch and finishing itself can be so vastly different between many of the points, and is usually an identifying trait. For Clovis Culture, the fluting is usually the last thing employed. "Folsomoid" (notice I didn't say Folsom) is completely the opposite. Folsomoid fluting is done earlier and then a secondary hafting area retouch is done after the flute (s) are detached. In other words, Cumberland actually employs folsomoid fluting/haft treatment techniques.
There are several that mingle in this mix that are identifiable by unique hafting and basal treatments. Take Debert for instance. Most people just recognize them as an old paleo point with a very deep basal concavity, but few people seem to understand why they're like that. Debert are actually fluted twice on each side. One flute is driven off and then another fluting nipple is prepared and another is driven off, this happens on both sides. If you study a true Debert closely, you'll usually see two flute channel terminations per face.
Did you know that many points besides Clovis, or even paleo points are fluted? Pedernales are often "fluted", as are Daltons, and there are many others. Perino actually named a variant "fluted Pedernales", but you don't see the reference pop up too often. I think it was Dr. Gramley who done an article on the fluted Dalton points at the Olive Branch site. You would think the fluted points would be the earlier ones. However, to the contrary, the fluted ones seem to appear much later in some of the point styles. Call it a reinvention of the flute.

(ramble off)

Sorry, got carried away!

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostlake88 said:
Awesome man. They are still out there buddy boy!

Thank Blue bird !

Lostlake they are they just seem to be many years apart. If life continues at this rate my next post of one will be when I am 97? :icon_scratch:

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
man thats so awesome Tn Mtn.... Im so glad for u finding that.
man that is a real beauty tooooo!!
here is a pic. of what ive been told is my heavily resharpened wheeler....
Ive never saw a clovis up close, now Ill have to come meet you for a hunt or dig just to see it. :)
David

Attachments

• SNB12631.JPG
    SNB12631.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 2,847
  • SNB12631.JPG
    SNB12631.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 2,841
  • SNB12633.JPG
    SNB12633.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 2,838
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tree
I guess if we do not make it before turkey season it will have to be right after. I have some places(shelters) off 111. Will not be to far from you. Either that or we can do a water hunt. I am not sure when they will start discing out the fields due to the weather. I called them and they said not yet. Lets plan on something. Nice looking wheeler you have there. Thank you for taking the time to take a picture and post it.
HH,
TnMtns

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats that is a great looking clovis. I am still looking for one of those. im sure it was the best
feeling ever when you found it.awesome find

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
choo said:
Congrats that is a great looking clovis. I am still looking for one of those. im sure it was the best
feeling ever when you found it.awesome find

Choo
It scared me,lol. I mean I was scared to pick it up. One of things like could it be... did not want to be disapponted if ya know what I mean. :icon_sunny:

binman

Greenie
Feb 18, 2010
hey tnmountains...congrats on finds...i'm new guy...check my post on 2/21/10..."nc finds"...compare my top middle with your bottom right in pics below...maybe made by the same guy??...hehe...

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,548
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,516
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,540
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,509
  • tn mtns.JPG
    tn mtns.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,520

SouthernGirl

Nov 6, 2008
alabama
VERY nice!! Congrats on the banner. I am like you here in northeast Alabama the water has stayed up so much couldn't really hunt. Plus this cold weather we have had.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to artifacts Binman The items look a lot alike :icon_scratch:
Hey Southerngirl Its been flooded forever here. I need to hurry and hunt some more. I may hit North Ala this weekend Take care and thank you.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some VERY pretty points my friend :icon_thumleft: :wink: I always use to hunt for arrowheads as a kid down in my home state of Georgia and every year I go back to visit I still find myself looking around the edges of the creeks and lakes for more. The part of Georgia I'm from was home to the Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, and Creek so we had a tremendous amount of points when I was growing up. Great finds now go get some more!!! :thumbsup: :wink: :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sentitinel. I always enjoy reading your post. You need to stop by sometime and show us your finds. The creek sure had land a lot longer that the Cherokee but the Cherokee were more inteligent than most whites including Andrew Jackson. They created an alphabet for their language then translated the book of Genisis from Greek to Cherokee.
Very multilingual and it was their downfall. Late and I am rambling.Thanks for the compliments sir
TnMtns

looking down

Dec 17, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White DFX
Happy for You! beautiful Clovis and I love the insutu.
The catfish make me want to go fishing too, they have been catching them on the Arkansas here too.

looking down

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking down said:
Happy for You! beautiful Clovis and I love the insutu.
The catfish make me want to go fishing too, they have been catching them on the Arkansas here too.

looking down

Thank you "looking down" the weather has turned bad here again : (. I might try it tomorrow doubtful though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread