Tesoro Deleon

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey Cheezinoot:

Michigan badger has a DeLeon and absolutely swears by it. I'm sure if he catches your post he'll fill you in. He's big into iron and relics, as well as coins.

Check his past posts; they should help, too.

DFIU

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I had one for a couple years. Good machine if your looking for coins and Tesoro is the best company you can find for support....second to none. Relics, you really want to find a machine designed for that. I found a lot of good things with my DeLeon, including a US Belt Plate, my share of silver, and some rings. Depth is decent, but with all digital detectors the signal gets squirrely on deeper coins and can make you second guess whether to dig. I like my relics, so I got a Tesoro Vaquero and Tejon as my new machines. Antyhing Tesoro you can't go wrong.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Gribnitz said:
Relics, you really want to find a machine designed for that. I found a lot of good things with my DeLeon, including a US Belt Plate, my share of silver, and some rings. Depth is decent, but with all digital detectors the signal gets squirrely on deeper coins and can make you second guess whether to dig. I like my relics, so I got a Tesoro Vaquero and Tejon as my new machines. Antyhing Tesoro you can't go wrong.

Sorry for the thread hijack! :D

I've wondered about the detectors with display screens maybe confusing things sometimes. I'm planning to get a detector in the next few months, but can't decide between the Lobo supertrac, and the Tejon.

It's tough to have such problems, LOL!!!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Rowdy said:
I've wondered about the detectors with display screens maybe confusing things sometimes. I'm planning to get a detector in the next few months, but can't decide between the Lobo supertrac, and the Tejon.

The Lobo is a gold machine. I never used one, but would think that machine would be of more use to someone that lives where nuggets can be found. The Tejon operates at 17.6 Khz, so it will find gold well too. Think the Lobo operates a bit higher, maybe 18 Khz.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Gribnitz said:
Rowdy said:

The Lobo is a gold machine. I never used one, but would think that machine would be of more use to someone that lives where nuggets can be found. The Tejon operates at 17.6 Khz, so it will find gold well too. Think the Lobo operates a bit higher, maybe 18 Khz.

That's what I though to, until I came across this field test. http://www.tesoro.com/Lobo_Field_Test.html Granted it is on tesoro's web site, so it's probably a bit biased, but it sure sounds interesting!

I particularly like the auromatic ground balance.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Just noticed this thread.

Like stated above, the DeLeon is an excellent machine. The more you learn it, the better it gets.

Actually, for a TID machine, some claim it's a better machine than the Cortes.

If you ever buy a DeLeon, you'll find more silver coins and gold jewelry than you will with most deeper non-TID machines. Down to about 7-8 inches it's like a coin magnet. It's fast, stable, deep, and easy to learn.

I ran mine with very low discrimination because I got so good with the TID I usually had a very good idea of what the target was before digging.

I recently sold my DeLeon only because I'm now working a field site and I think the coins may be beyond the depth range of the DeLeon. That's the only reason I sold it.

I'm now using the Nautilus IIB because it gets about 2 to 4 times more depth (on coin sized targets).

We'll see if this finds more coins.

Badger

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'm trying to read and learn more about the DeLeon as I just found out this morning that I won one in a club raffle ;D but haven't picked it up yet.

Is it my understanding that all coins register as 95 on the display? Does that include zincs and IH's or do they register a bit lower? I didn't know if the graph works in conjunction and registers the coin as well.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe copper dimes and up read 95 - end of story. Tesoro feels that you are going to dig such signals regardless, because of how close dimes and Cu cents are in conductivity. Similar to how some pulltabs are so close to nickels that you are bound to dig both.

I suppose IH's and screwcaps will come in somewhat lower and from what Ive read, thats the case.

Tesoro indicates that they wanted to expand the midrange on the conductivity scale with these detectors. See, silver coins are easy and so iron. But the vast midrange area is a real no-mans land - and just too many things can be there worth keeping. So they lump iron at one end and silver at the other and expand the midrange.

This helps in the nickel-tab region, or so they say, as there is more room for the nickel VDI to be registered. Nickels come in like 24-26 and tabs at 29 on up (numbers for reference ONLY - dont call me to tell me Im off by a few points!). Without the expansion in the middle this would be harder to accomplish. Agaion, thats what Tesoro says about it.

Confession: I dont have a Cortez, I have a Golden, which only has tone ID. As far as I know, however, they share the same circuitry in the front end and dont let anyone blow smoke at you - the uMax platform can give you depth. I routinely dig deep coins that surpise me. The last one was a quarter from 8-10". This was measured, by the way and not arbitrary. It signaled clearly that there was something good down there, BTW, in DISC mode...none of that All Metal only crap.
In fairness, let me say I also have mild soil mineralization. Since the Cortez/DeLeon models have fixed ground balance in the DISC mode, this is a factor.

Is it deeper than say, detector "X," "Y" or "Z"? All things being equal, maybe not. For the vast majority of casual and hobby use, though, I suspect it'll do.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
stoney56 said:
I'm trying to read and learn more about the DeLeon as I just found out this morning that I won one in a club raffle ;D but haven't picked it up yet.

Is it my understanding that all coins register as 95 on the display? Does that include zincs and IH's or do they register a bit lower? I didn't know if the graph works in conjunction and registers the coin as well.

Stoney,

congrat.

have a good un............

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
stoney56 said:

Dang, that is one nice raffle prize there ! Congrats, thats a $400+ machine and a lifetime warranty. It does lump all coins into the 95 range, but that isn't a bad thing. Mark where pulltabs and twist off caps register and you got a good nickel machine too. The DeLeon was my first "real" machine and it found me quite a bit of goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread