Tesoro Golden uMax, The Outlaw, Vaquero.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, for what it is worth I will state that I owned both the Golden and the Outlaw, but have never tried the Vaq. (I am considering it though). This fall I needed some cash and had to sell one and there was no debate... I sold the Outlaw. I like the Golden that much! I will never sell it. It is not very deep but it is a lot of fun and it's notching ability is quite unique. Of course, knowing that I could turn around and buy another Outlaw also helped, whereas the Golden is hard to find at a reasonable price. Happily, I got mine new just 3 years ago (some left over stock from a dealer), so mine has the lifetime warranty.

The Outlaw has a great discriminator on it, it separates well at the higher end of the conductive range of targets, whereas it seems that most of the other Tesoro's, including the Vaquero, separate better at the lower range of the conductive scale, but is only based on what I have read. Hoping to try either the Vaq or Tejon this spring, so we shall see.

Last edited:

Pablo1961

Greenie
Mar 22, 2017
New Baden
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism
Whites V3i
Tesoro Outlaw
Corteś
LST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outlaw for the three coil deal, disc., and sound.
The Tejon for depth.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mojave
Vaquero
Tejon

Lol.....

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread has been resurrected whhooooaaaahhh, had a funny feeling someone was going to do this, Thanks Pablo you the first, also for Weglund you da first man posting on the Mojave... Nice.:occasion14:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The outlaws ability to disc out dimes and even copper but still hit quarters and silver makes it a winner for me :-)

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to use whatever is working well for you. I've probably found as much with my Vaquero as I have with my Eldorado and my ED120 Tesoros. I just like the ED120 toys best in heavy trash. Tesoros are all relatively inexpensive detectors and I like trying different ones. Some you need to stick with a little longer to learn their nuances, and some just make you grin right from the start... Still haven't used a Tesoro that I just didn't like, except for a couple bought used that just weren't working right - those went back whence they came.

Yup. I know I should have stuck with my Outlaw longer before selling it to ya! But circumstances were such that it had to go. And you are right, they are relatively inexpensive enough that you can try different ones. I will probably restore the Outlaw to my arsenal and give it more time. The detuning/retuning features are something to consider I think, as well as the expanded disc range at the higher end of the scale.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outlaw has its quirks, but that's OK..

Yup. I know I should have stuck with my Outlaw longer before selling it to ya! But circumstances were such that it had to go. And you are right, they are relatively inexpensive enough that you can try different ones. I will probably restore the Outlaw to my arsenal and give it more time. The detuning/retuning features are something to consider I think, as well as the expanded disc range at the higher end of the scale.

You know, the Outlaw is still one of my favorites in Tesoro's current line. I do enjoy using it more than the Vaquero, but honestly, Vaquero is a good detector too. I have to say though, that out of the Tesoros I've used... My all time favorite is the Bandido II μmax, and it's a tie for second between a couple others.
I'm sure that everyone here has their personal favorite though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions