Tesoro has taken down there website

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Even if Tesoro scaled back to just a couple models, they may have enough demand to stay in business. I imagine that both Vaquero and Tejon could be popular enough, and it looks as though Mojave was doing OK.. Donā€™t know about their water models, but I like my SandShark and imagine others like theirs..
Maybe if they just offered their 5 best sellers?
Still wondering why they didnā€™t want to stay competitive when they once had such a good name.

i honestly believe it would have been successful too!
keep the "mojave" vaquero,and tejon,maybe the sand shark too.
let all the others slide,and test the market!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II Ī¼MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i honestly believe it would have been successful too!
keep the "mojave" vaquero,and tejon,maybe the sand shark too.
let all the others slide,and test the market!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I think theyā€™d do OK with just a handful of their best sellers - even if they had to bump prices a little. I think thereā€™s still a market for their most popular detectors.
So, if they dropped (all good but some redundant):

Cibola (sorry but Mojave too similar)
Compadre (again, Mojave replaced you too)
Silver (another one Mojave replaced)
TigerShark (good but others are more capable and modern, though much more costly -Excalibur?)
DeLeon (maybe good but not modern or competitive..)
Cortes (again, good but not modern)
and finally - Outlaw (good detector but a bit quirky and too similar to Vaquero and Mojave - they should have brought back Bandido)

I believe that leaves:

Lobo ST (is it somewhat popular?)
SandShark (a good PI for the $)
Mojave
Vaquero
Tejon
..and just bring back the Bandido II Ī¼MAX in place of the Outlaw.. ^_^

I really wonder if maybe the owner just wanted to retire and nobody was willing to step up and buy the company..?

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Pinenut's ideas about which machines Tesoro should keep... much as I enjoy using my DeLeon.

The Lobo ST still seems popular with nugget hunters, and is apparently good at finding jewelry. The Sand Shark does seem reasonably-priced compared to most other PI machines. Despite Tesoro's woes, I'm still tempted to pick one up.

For the general-purpose machines: Mojave as entry-level, a reintroduced Bandido II Umax as md-level and the Vaq or Tejon at the high-end. I actually don't know if there's enough room for both the Vaq and the Tejon; I prefer the Tejon but realize that many folks like the Vaq better.

Of course, this is all idle speculation, kind of like building a fantasy football league :-). We may never find out what has led Tesoro to do what they're doing now.

-Ken

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been some time since I been back to Treasurenet. Thought I add my thoughts.

Keep 3 Vaq, Mojave, Sand Shark, and produce a new machine, get rid of the others.

Vaq bundle with 11.5 with 5.75 Concentric. Get rid of Outlaw and Cibola to close and the Vaq can do it all even close for what the Tejon can do for Relic machine get rid of Tejon, as the T2 is your competitor Relic machine, and others I won't mention.
Mohave get rid of Silver and Compadre
Sand Shark no need for the Tiger Shark
Lobo get rid of because it close to what Fisher Gold Bug or Gold Bug 2 Pro can offer , and the Vaq is a good enough gold unit in my mind with the right coil hunting in areas other then streams finding fine gold even..vs to what you can even compete with the big boys.
Deleon and Cortes no need for these.
Bring back a new detector Bandido II with Golden uMax notch width...right!

My .02

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would that stop my from buying a used Tesoro? Never, I would buy every single one I could get my hands on for the right price. You can never own enough Tesoros'

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been some time since I been back to Treasurenet. Thought I add my thoughts.

Keep 3 Vaq, Mojave, Sand Shark, and produce a new machine, get rid of the others.

Vaq bundle with 11.5 with 5.75 Concentric. Get rid of Outlaw and Cibola to close and the Vaq can do it all even close for what the Tejon can do for Relic machine get rid of Tejon, as the T2 is your competitor Relic machine, and others I won't mention.
Mohave get rid of Silver and Compadre
Sand Shark no need for the Tiger Shark
Lobo get rid of because it close to what Fisher Gold Bug or Gold Bug 2 Pro can offer , and the Vaq is a good enough gold unit in my mind with the right coil hunting in areas other then streams finding fine gold even..vs to what you can even compete with the big boys.
Deleon and Cortes no need for these.
Bring back a new detector Bandido II with Golden uMax notch width...right!

My .02

Notification ; KEEP Lobo Super Traq, it's way better then Fisher Goldbug Pro. I had both, i know what i'm telling about.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I think theyā€™d do OK with just a handful of their best sellers - even if they had to bump prices a little. I think thereā€™s still a market for their most popular detectors.
So, if they dropped (all good but some redundant):

Cibola (sorry but Mojave too similar)
Compadre (again, Mojave replaced you too)
Silver (another one Mojave replaced)
TigerShark (good but others are more capable and modern, though much more costly -Excalibur?)
DeLeon (maybe good but not modern or competitive..)
Cortes (again, good but not modern)
and finally - Outlaw (good detector but a bit quirky and too similar to Vaquero and Mojave - they should have brought back Bandido)

I believe that leaves:

Lobo ST (is it somewhat popular?)
SandShark (a good PI for the $)
Mojave
Vaquero
Tejon
..and just bring back the Bandido II Ī¼MAX in place of the Outlaw.. ^_^

I really wonder if maybe the owner just wanted to retire and nobody was willing to step up and buy the company..?

I do believe the Outlaw is an updated Bandido. There does need to be an Epsilon coiled machine in the mix and that would be it.
Others would be the Vaquero and a cheapo beat around detector, the Mojave would be that.
All 9v.
Would go from there while I was removing my head from my arse and hiring an engineer team to develop a wizbang digital detector... or if that was not possible, I would make a deal to put my name on European technology as it appears that's where it's at!
One last thing.. I would not check and tune detectors for under $50. Warranty is not for a ā€œtune upā€. So many took advantage of Tesoro it's no wonder they're down the drain.

Geo

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
And one last thing... The FIRST thing I would do to get the train back on the tracks would be to call Rusty Henry!

g

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I agree with Pinenut's ideas about which machines Tesoro should keep... much as I enjoy using my DeLeon.

The Lobo ST still seems popular with nugget hunters, and is apparently good at finding jewelry. The Sand Shark does seem reasonably-priced compared to most other PI machines. Despite Tesoro's woes, I'm still tempted to pick one up.

For the general-purpose machines: Mojave as entry-level, a reintroduced Bandido II Umax as md-level and the Vaq or Tejon at the high-end. I actually don't know if there's enough room for both the Vaq and the Tejon; I prefer the Tejon but realize that many folks like the Vaq better.

Of course, this is all idle speculation, kind of like building a fantasy football league :-). We may never find out what has led Tesoro to do what they're doing now.

-Ken

yes! mojave,vaquero,tejon,and sand shark.
i don't include bandido,because the vaquero
is the better substitute,and that leaves the tejon at the
top end.all of these detectors were /are strong sellers
across the line,and can eliminate the others.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
And one last thing... The FIRST thing I would do to get the train back on the tracks would be to call Rusty Henry!

g

i agree! "mr tesoro'' himself! an outrageous
ambassador for the company! nice,guy,knowledgeable,
cared,and nice guy! did i say that? responsible for ''tons"
of sales over the years! ..very personable gentleman,and
"knew" the product very well!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say if Tesoro was going to come back we would already have heard, it has been 5 months now. Not seeing any company stepping up to buy or invest.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe the Outlaw is an updated Bandido. There does need to be an Epsilon coiled machine in the mix and that would be it...

Geo

Youā€™re right and thatā€™s exactly what the Outlaw was supposed to be.. But it fell a bit short of the mark set by the Bandido. Outlaw came out ā€˜cause Bandido users squaked when Tesoro dropped the model from their lineup. Outlaw was similar - but in my opinion, just wasnā€™t quite as nice to use. Iā€™ve had a really nice Outlaw and liked using it, but they have some funky quirks that the Bandido didnā€™t. Disc capability was excellent on ā€˜em though; very close to the Bandidoā€™s.
I sold my Outlaw - but have three Bandido II Ī¼MAXā€™s here, ready to go. Tesoro would have done better to just give the Bandido a ā€œfaceliftā€ so it looked like the newer machines, but not mess with such a good detector. I prefer the Bandidos to every other Tesoro model Iā€™ve used, for the places I like to hunt.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes! mojave,vaquero,tejon,and sand shark.
i don't include bandido,because the vaquero
is the better substitute,and that leaves the tejon at the
top end.all of these detectors were /are strong sellers
across the line,and can eliminate the others.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I respectfully disagree about Vaquero being ā€œbetterā€. Deeper, yes. Discrimination is not as good as Bandidoā€™s for me - and Iā€™ve owned two Vaqueros; still have the one I bought new and sold an excellent used one. Bandido is one of the few Tesoros thatā€™ll disc out steel bottle caps and still get nickels at that setting.
Iā€™m easy to please - as long as I have my Bandidos to use. ^_^

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I respectfully disagree about Vaquero being ā€œbetterā€. Deeper, yes. Discrimination is not as good as Bandidoā€™s for me - and Iā€™ve owned two Vaqueros; still have the one I bought new and sold an excellent used one. Bandido is one of the few Tesoros thatā€™ll disc out steel bottle caps and still get nickels at that setting.
Iā€™m easy to please - as long as I have my Bandidos to use. ^_^

i should have been more "specific" when i stated vaquero
was the better choice.,,i meant " deeper" and thought it slotted
nicely in the lineup,because of the "price point" too.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can still access their web site but there are no tabs to products etc other than the Mojave and Tesoro address & Ph Number.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread