Tesoro new detector what should stay and what should go?

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every season a Detector Company comes out with something new, and when it does sometimes it requires them, but not always to get rid of one or so of their current lines. I hope I am being fair by posting this, but there has been talk about the Cazador being released soon, and if it does what would you see that needs to go with Tesoro current line up to replace some of the new models they currently have. Or just keep and add to what they have. I see there are is a manufacture that has currently almost 30 models. To me too many is too confusing rather then giving to many options hence why I like Tesoro's KISS philosophy.

I know most are going to say with the Mojave why would you keep 2 or 3 of their current lines but I think perhaps only one or two stands out here and would need to go in my mind reason is I think that that one out of the two detector will be replaced with something new in the future as it always has. The other you don't need as you already have the Vaquero. The Compadre is a beginer entry level it can stay for another 10 years. But what would you like to see out of a 7-10 KHz detector in it's beginner entry level?

Thanks for listening.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cabin fever..?

I think we just need to get out and do some digging. I got another 4" of snow last night, but supposed to have lots more tonight... I could just drive down the hill, but roads get pretty icy and it's still cold. Even with gloves, my hands were numb. I tried detecting a couple days ago when it was 26 out. Didn't work.

This thread reminds me of the "which detector would you keep" threads.. Best answer of course, is the one that you most like using.

If I had to cut back to only one... it's probably the Bandido II μMAX. I like switching detectors around and can find things with any of them. Of greatest importance, is finding that good detecting location.

The new Mojave is fun and has already found me some nice silver. Not enough hours to feel comfortable with it yet. Something about the way it sounds is a bit abrasive.

I enjoy using any of my Tesoros when I'm out, but the Bandido really is my best buddy.. Today. Tomorrow..who knows..?? :tongue3:

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I guess getting muddy and dirty is the only way I am going to find myself finding more, but where I am with below zero conditions and the snow it is not that is hard to get out but what is is my soil it is ultra hard to dig as I have very heavy dark grey gleysolic soil very hard to dig as it holds frozen moisture like rock. I think I will take my chances in spring, as I will end up getting angry and rather enjoy myself instead of cussing.:laughing7: But other then the older models what in there currently line up would be a choice if they were to remove one, I realize most respect all the Tesoro lines and my not add to this if so I respect but this is an open forum it is ok to express your opinions but to those who rather not I am ok with that and will end my discussion with that and not discuss it further.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in the current line...

The Outlaw would be my "keeper".

It can do anything that I want a land detector to do. It has audio that I like, good depth, great discrimination, and the features I find most useful.
Only hazy area is the red button having more than one function, takes some getting used to...and you need to manually reset it after using. Not at all dificult, but it seems odd after using the red button on Vaquero and Cibola, which is a simple all-metal VCO pinpoint.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had purchased the new Tesoro detector and should receive it by Saturday. Good hunting and good luck.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the silver Micromax being kind of pointless since the Mojave release. Unless there's a reason you'd like the 10khz rather than the 12 of the Mojave...
Silver has ed120 and all metal in drop down disc which bypasses the circuit. Mojave has ed180 so minimum disc is essentially all metal. Add in the sensitivity knob and now the ground switch, I can't see them continuing with the silver but who knows.

I know there's some merit and styles of hunting where 10khz can be better than 12 though. So I don't know.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the silver Micromax being kind of pointless since the Mojave release. Unless there's a reason you'd like the 10khz rather than the 12 of the Mojave...
Silver has ed120 and all metal in drop down disc which bypasses the circuit. Mojave has ed180 so minimum disc is essentially all metal. Add in the sensitivity knob and now the ground switch, I can't see them continuing with the silver but who knows.

I know there's some merit and styles of hunting where 10khz can be better than 12 though. So I don't know.

I can't find it again, but those Euro guys have some mods on their Tesoro/Lasers. I read one where the 3 way frequency switch is for 10khz-14khz-18khz. I know Pentechnic will do a mod moving one to 18khz.

I agree, no need for the Silver uMax with the Mojave. But get rid of the urgghhh battery check! And put me a coil connector on the Compadre.

I'm looking for a Tesoro Soloman Outlaw right now.....:occasion14:

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
"I'm looking for a Tesoro Soloman Outlaw right now"

... you mean one that is deeper than a Vaquero?

Terry's comments have me rethinking another Outlaw instead of a Vaquero :dontknow:

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my soil the outlaw is not deeper than the Vaquero, not even close. I have tested every Tesoro detector from the Tejon down to the Compadre and several older ones with targets marked by the CTX and Tom tuned CZ 6A and none of them except the Vaquero and Tejon will see an 8in dime or deeper in my soil. The outlaw will see an 8in dime with the 12 x 10 widescan but the Vaq will s3e it loud and clear with the 8in donut.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I'm looking for a Tesoro Soloman Outlaw right now"

... you mean one that is deeper than a Vaquero?

Terry's comments have me rethinking another Outlaw instead of a Vaquero :dontknow:

Give Rusty a call and get his opinion then buy either one from him. Win-win

If I ever get an Outlaw, I am prepared to be disappointed * if * I find it isn't as deep as my Vaquero. Both of my Vaqueros are deeper in discriminate mode identifying a silver quarter than my F70 and F75. When I ground balance my Vaquero, turn on discrimination, set threshold at 2 o'clock, sensitivity maxed to just where it's quiet, and then take the ground balance knob and turn it negative a half a turn, nothing I have in my arsenal will touch it.

But the no motion metal and higher tone of the Outlaw is something I want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions