Tesoro Outlaw maiden voyage

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil package and clean sweep
I got home from out of town yesterday afternoon to find a big brown box on my doorstep that had my new 3 coil Outlaw within as well as the clean sweep coil I have always wanted to try out. I had about an hour's worth of daylight left so I slapped on the clean sweep then headed to a sports field to give it a go. Targets were few and far between so I only ran my discrimination a tad below foil. 30 mins into my hunt I got a great sounding target that only started to break up about where dimes go out. Knowing it was shallow I cut a flap and pulled out this little James Avery mens silver bracelet; talk about being well pleased with my new Outlaw! It was a broken bracelet, although you cant tell it from the pic but I rescanned and was still getting something in that flap so I investigated and found the "weakest link" that put the bracelet there in the first place. Now I have the whole thing and if I'm able I'll see about getting it refurbished as I always kinda fancied this particular piece at the James Avery store. The Outlaw definitely has it's own language that seems to sound off a little stronger on good targets but weaker and more broken on trash. Just a matter of spending the time to learn that language myself; it's talking to me I just don't know what all it's saying. Found a little bit of clad before a local city cop pulled up. I thought, "oh boy, here we go" but he was just curious about the detector and if I was finding anything. Super nice guy and we talked a good 20 minutes before he took off. I made one more pass across the field then called it a night. He said he'd see me around next time I was out there.

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    226 KB · Views: 103

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! Silver on your first hunt, cool and a braclet to boot. Keep us posted.
Good luck and Happy Hunting.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big super congrats on scoring a super nice find on your first outing with the Outlaw. :icon_thumright:

I've used the Outlaw quite a bit and when I'm detecting sports fields, especially on the sparse targeted ones, I don't waste my time 'thumbing' the discrimination dial. I set the discrimination to its minimum and start digging, because if a target discriminates out at foil, nickel, pull tab, screw cap, it could be either a gold or silver chain, a small gold ring, a medium gold ring, a small silver ring, a silver bracelet or a huge gold class ring.

I've read where people say they can tell if it's a good target or not by thumbing past the discrimination point of a target and then dialing it back to hear how the audio comes back in. If it audio comes back in sharply and cleanly its a good target, but if the audio comes back in broken and rough sounding it's a bad target. I can't seem to master that one and besides it too time consuming for my liking.

In really trashy areas, I guess I go more by the audio tone that I hear when the discrimination is set at a particular discrimination setting. Raising the search coil and listening to how the audio responds gives me clues. If it breaks up, it's most likely a bad target like can slaw. I mostly just dig and discriminate with my eyes. :laughing7:

tabman

The Outlaw and Silver µMax both respond well to slowing raising the search coil technique.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the loot the first time out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread