Tesoro Recommendation?

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - Looking for advice. I am about to buy my first metal detector. I have kind of narrowed it down to three Tesoro's: the Outlaw, the uMax, and the Vaquero because of price and weight. Any thoughts on these? My biggest concern is the high mineral content of the land here - unfortunately very high - and from reading everything I've found, it seems that may be a problem with this brand? Is any one of these better at the high mineral content than the others? Thank you!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are worried about mineralization forget about the uMax series. They do not have manual ground balance capabilities.

The Outlaw and Vaq are both fine machines and and either will be a fine choice. The Outlaw comes with 3 coils, one being a 10x12 DD coil which will help even further in mineralized ground.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are worried about mineralization forget about the uMax series. They do not have manual ground balance capabilities.

The Outlaw and Vaq are both fine machines and and either will be a fine choice. The Outlaw comes with 3 coils, one being a 10x12 DD coil which will help even further in mineralized ground.

X2 - Great advice.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outlaw with the 3 coils is the one to get. Fella gave an excellent post. :icon_thumleft:

BTW.... Welcome to Tnet..JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grandma

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thank you, Sandman. Three out of three - the Outlaw it is. Thanks, all, now I can't wait to get it!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Outlaw and love it. You should really be set getting the outlaw.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
go for a GB machine, outlaw and vaquero are both good value

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grandma is this your first detector? If it is and you need help with it there are some real good outlaw users on this forum. I might also suggest you go to YouTube and watch videos on the outlaw by 53Silver. He has some real good videos of the outlaw operation.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't go wrong with any of them. They're all beep+dig machines.. gotta love the simplicity..

OP
OP
Grandma

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you rainyday101, yes it is my first - better late than never? - and I will do that!

OP
OP
Grandma

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ausgoldhunter, that is exactly what I need - simplicity. I didn't want one with pictures - LOL! Thank you!

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outlaw is the best option and value with all of the coils which will surely match your ground

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never used the outlaw, but by considering frequencies I think the Outlaw would make a better first detector than the Vaquero or Tejon. Good luck and have great finds with your Outlaw!

OP
OP
Grandma

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone - The Outlaw it is. I'm so glad I asked - you have all been so helpful! Thank you all!!!

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone - The Outlaw it is. I'm so glad I asked - you have all been so helpful! Thank you all!!!

when you get it, tell us your experience. With a detector and 3 coils you will be busy for quite a while :)

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum Grandma:hello:. Good luck in your detecting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread