Tesoro vaq or xp deus

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tesoro has not come out with a truly new machine since 2004 with the vaquero/cibola. o.k. not every six months, how about a new one every ten years then? just something a bit different every so often. im not going to rush out and buy a machine i already like and have just because it is a different color now? sorry, but most are not that foolish with their hard earned money. it is always the same thing with the same people on here. if tesoro machines are the absolute greatest, better than any other. we all do know they do have the best warranty by far though. why are they not as popular as other machines that are more expensive, do not work as well, and have only a 2-5 year warranty then? what explanation do people have for that? not lame excuses now, like those coming from tesoro. their not being active on social media is because people twist what they say around. that is pathetic and im saying so. lol

The Outlaw came out in 2012....

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jld66 if other detector brands are as you say so 'popular' why do you own a Tesoro Vaquero and not one of the other brands?

tabman

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Will you be buying a new model Tesoro with a screen, vdi, or multiple/adjustable tones? For that matter, why own 6 different Tesoro's? Did they trick you into spending more money?

Yes I would buy a new Tesoro with VID, multiple/adjustable tones... Especially if it had GB in the disc mode (because that would be an improvement over the Cortes)... And I would buy it with full confidence that it would beat the pants off of any of them yellow machines that make the 'dong, dong' sound.

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I would buy a new Tesoro with VID, multiple/adjustable tones... Especially if it had GB in the disc mode (because that would be an improvement over the Cortes)... And I would buy it with full confidence that it would beat the pants off of any Of them yellow 'dong, donging' machines.

I'm sorry... That wasn't very nice.:nono:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only complaint with Tesoro is why did they quit making the Golden Umax? It was probably the best park machine they made....

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My only complaint with Tesoro is why did they quit making the Golden Umax? It was probably the best park machine they made....

I really enjoy using the golden micromax. I bought mine new two years ago, I think I called every detector dealer in the country looking for one too. For the trashy areas, I can already tell I will prefer it to the Outlaw, although I have not had enough time on the Outlaw to make a fair comparison.

Perhaps Tesoro will introduce a new machine soon with tones and GB. That being said, I actually think that the adjustable notch feature is the real value of this machine, in how you can manipulate how the middle conductors sound off, isolating smaller gold rings from almost all pull tabs. (Not all junk is eliminated this way, but a lot of it is).

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Golden µMax is a gold ring magnet and is great for hunting trashy parks! I will not be parting with mine. In the right hands it's deadly.

tabman

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I would buy a new Tesoro with VID, multiple/adjustable tones... Especially if it had GB in the disc mode (because that would be an improvement over the Cortes)... And I would buy it with full confidence that it would beat the pants off of any of them yellow machines that make the 'dong, dong' sound.
I agree with you about what you desire in a new Tesoro and all of us should tell Tesoro what we desire in a new detector.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned quite a few brands of metal detectors. The Tesoro Vaquera of mine dug several gold rings and coins at the beach this year. Now the same days I was digging the gold, I also got some pulltabs. There was a subtle difference between the sounds of the two, but I have expensive headphones and that makes a huge difference too. The only way I can describe it is the gold has a solid but more "mellow" tone. On the beaches I dig, there are not a lot of pulltabs but You dig everything.

Where the rubber hits the road: I sold my PI machine, and wanted to get something else. It was a choice between the Minelab Etrac, the Deus or the Tesoro Tejon.

The Tejon will be here Friday.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. if tesoro machines are the absolute greatest, better than any other. we all do know they do have the best warranty by far though. why are they not as popular as other machines that are more expensive, do not work as well, and have only a 2-5 year warranty then?

That is what we're saying is that the Tesoros DO in fact work well. They find metal objects in the ground and have very good disc circuits. Period! I can close my eyes or hunt in the dark and tell you with a pretty high certainty what a target is before I dig.
I agree they made a mistake by going online with the whole detector naming campaign, but I like the models they already make better than MOST of the new vdi machines cranked out over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys can have the prostitutes! Lol
Let's light up and just move along

Im with you there fletch, lol! I do remember you basically saying 'piss-off' to Tesoro after trying many iterations. Not sure what to think, but I really wanted to like my Vaquero, if not for the poor disc & snap, crackle, pop I would have liked it. Now, did you change your mind about the Vaq you disliked, or is this new black one a 'hot' one (did that sound racist)? I know you have mucho experience with a s***load of detectors. Not sure how much time you spent on each, but I appreciate your opinions none the less...

Last edited:

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jld66 if other detector brands are as you say so 'popular' why do you own a Tesoro Vaquero and not one of the other brands?

tabman
i am planning on getting the xp deus next for year. going to be able to try one out this spring. i have other hobbies and started taking up fly fishing last year. i earn my money by working for it. lol

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A lot of differing opinions on which way tesoro should go regarding product development. From a business stand point I think that depends on how they are doing in the market place. How have sales been? Steady? Up or declining?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sometimes it the marketing that sells the product regardless of its quality. McDonalds makes terrible food but people are loving it!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I "heard through the grapevine" that the lost a supplier of certain components that were critical to making the Golden. You know how grapevine rumors are!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im with you there fletch, lol! I do remember you basically saying 'piss-off' to Tesoro after trying many iterations. Not sure what to think, but I really wanted to like my Vaquero, if not for the poor disc & snap, crackle, pop I would have liked it. Now, did you change your mind about the Vaq you disliked, or is this new black one a 'hot' one (did that sound racist)? I know you have mucho experience with a s***load of detectors. Not sure how much time you spent on each, but I appreciate your opinions none the less...

I've had a catharsis since then I cannot deny saying that but have come to love the time spent thumbing the knobs and switches!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A brief comment on the types of machines out there. The Tesoros are analog machines with analog output. Headphones are geared to audio in put and output the same way to yo' head.
Some of the digital machines are just that - digital They read and exhibit digitally but still export to the headphones in analog. Hence some of the "confusion" the machines exhibit, it's a nail, no wait, it's a brass button, no wait its silver.....I hated that can't make up my mind readings on some of the pricier digital machines. Now for sure some of the PI machines will go deeper than a VLF machine.
However, How blasted far down do I want to dig for a large nail? I have owned or used most of the popular machines available today. The PI's will keep you diggng junk all day. The expensive computers can't seem to make up their minds, and the simple machines don't waste your time.

It's up to the user. I have seen people at the beach swing a $2k machine like they were trying to knock down high brush. Loops were at least 8" off the ground. I didn't see them digging much. I also taught my daughter to use the $369 Tesoso Cibola and she pushes sand with the loop- i.e. it touches the ground several times on each swing. She dug a gold coin doing that last year. I have dug more gold since November with my Tesoro Vaquera than ever in my life and now I'm up THREE civil war plates and a brass spur since the first of the year. It's not so much what you have, it's how you use it. Being hardheaded helps too.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a catharsis since then I cannot deny saying that but have come to love the time spent thumbing the knobs and switches!

I too keep chasing after a better detector, but I keep coming back to Tesoro detectors. Your scratch card analogy pretty much sums it up for why I love my Tesoro detectors. The lower you set the discrimination the bigger the payout you get when you do score.

tabman

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of differing opinions on which way tesoro should go regarding product development. From a business stand point I think that depends on how they are doing in the market place. How have sales been? Steady? Up or declining?

thats the thing. on these tesoro forums, people talk about tesoro's. only on occasion do you read about those who have bought a new one. im in a few facebook groups. very, very rarely, some not at all, do you see someone who even uses a tesoro. never mind buying one. the biggest seller is the at pro. nearly ever day someone has bought one of those. we know tesoros work well. but they just are not appealing machines. i always suggest tesoro, how good they work, and their lifetime warranty. people dont care about that it seems. just look, if they go to tesoros face book page. nothing from them in over two years on it, nothing. not a post, reply, or even a like to a comment. now days that means a lot when stuff like that is just plan old ignored from a company. im in a tesoro group and the bought and sold on it are 99% used machines, not new ones. like i said, i bet garrett has sold more of just the at pro model in the past 5 years than tesoro has with all its models combined. and the at pro is nothing special and has only a 2 year warranty on it and mighty tesoro cant come up with anything comparable to it. the pro being waterproof, well sometimes i read, is a big factor. most people do not want a bulky, fixed coil, and headphones only machine. tesoro seems to have blinders on for some reason and cant comprehend the full picture of the times now days.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speculation about sales in the United States, much less Internationally, is simple gossip and assumption. Seems to me if you are pumping out machines every day, employing Americans, and running a successful factory for over 20 years, you must be doing fairly well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread