Tesoro Vaquero in sand

redclay

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
I am moving up from a big store MD and was looking a couple big names when I started to look at the Tesoro line. The Vaquero specifically.
I like the simplicity, etc. I would be hunting coins and relics mainly but do go to the ocean beach here in Delaware.
How is the Tesoro Vaquero in dry east coast saltwater beachs? I have found one video of it being used in wet sand but it doesnt look like the stock coil. Any input appreciated.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
redclay said:
I am moving up from a big store MD and was looking a couple big names when I started to look at the Tesoro line. The Vaquero specifically.
I like the simplicity, etc. I would be hunting coins and relics mainly but do go to the ocean beach here in Delaware.
How is the Tesoro Vaquero in dry east coast saltwater beachs? I have found one video of it being used in wet sand but it doesnt look like the stock coil. Any input appreciated.

Hello Redclay, and Welcome from White Plains, New York! The Vaquero is an Excellent choice for dry sand beach hunting! Superior depth, and incredible sensitivity to small targets like gold and silver earring studs! Wet saltwater sand is ALWAYS a problem for VLF metal detectors, and cuts your depth in half. Read my article on VLF and PI beach machines here http://www.terrysoloman.com/id18.html and I hope it helps! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
R

redclay

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks Terry.......Nice web site. If I do get the Vaquero and enjoy the dry sand, I know what might be next on the list!!!

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redclay said:

If your going to detect in dry sand, then GB it there. If you plan to switch to wet sand, then you have to re-GB again. You simply can't walk from one situation to another without GB. Keep your coil off by about 1 inch above the sand; just some simple tricks to remember.

Good Luck with your Vaquero,

TC-NM

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Ohio but take the Vaquero on vacations when we visit the East coast beaches. The Vaquero is great in the dry sand beaches. But I can't get within 10 feet of anything remotely wet. My Vaquero won't ground balance at all in the wet sand and chatters like crazy (even with the sensitivity on the lowest setting).

So dry sand is a go but wet said is a big no. For what it's worth, my Silver uMax is the same way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread