test run wont pick up on gold chain? help?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my first finds was an 18" 14k gold chain with my first machine a cheap BH! It came in and was showing up as a nickel and I was expecting a coin. Nice Surprise. If there is a discrimination control on your machine, try turning it down and see if it will work. But on the other hand the chain I found was fairly wide and probably a better target than some of the skinny little chains. Monty

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To answer lookindown's question of is an air test different than an inground test? If with a PI detector, they always will go deeper in the ground or in water, especially salt water, because of the media conduction. Plus the halo effect, but gold doesnt really do that. Gold jewelry with its various alloy metals, can leach out some into surrounding soil. Tiny thin gold chains are the worst at finding, next is tiny broken rings. The tinier alloys are, the harder to find. It seems that the lower Kt gold is, the harder to pick up, because it is such a mix, kind of like the tiny gold chain thing. High quality stainless steel is hard to find with some PI detectors, as is gold jewelry because the too slow pulse delay cant register it. Better beach PIs have higher pulse speeds, and can pick up gold jewelry very easily, if set right.

Voice of Reason

Sep 20, 2011
Them Thar Hills
Hi Gildeal,
I have a friend with a BH machine. Small gold, i.e. chains and small nuggets do register, but in the Iron range. His gold wedding band registers in the PT/5 cent range. Turn up sensitivity to max in all-metal and you should pick up the signal.

Good luck,
Voice of Reason

OP
OP
gildeal

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, the wealth of knowledge here is great! I have tried to re-test this same piece, it seems if i put it on the grass it will get a signal, it "see's" it as 5#cent - aluminum, if it is coiled up on the grass, put it on dirt, or my patio, or air test, nothing.
anyway, very good responses to my question..... now to retain the knowledge and put it to use....ahhh there is the real treasure!
thanks everyone!
GIL.

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dcyoung9 said:
bofusmosby said:
Roger is correct about the gold chains. The detector is "seeing" the individual links, and not the complete necklace. It usually doesn't matter if the chain is together with its clasp or not, because it still sees the individual links. As far as the "cut" washer or ring goes, when the ring (or washer) is together, the detector is seeing the object like it were a coin. If you seperate the ring a tiny bit, then the detector is "seeing" a small curved piece of metal.

Have you actually tried the split washer??? My detectors don't see them at all...

I have done this with a small god ring. The solder broke loose, and then ends were barely seperated. When air-checking, when I pressed the 2 ends of the ring together, I was picking it up at a lot greater depth (in the air).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions