Tested medium gold ring at 5 inches with V3i -MXT - QXT and Tejon

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Whites machines. But it seems like the only gold rings I would get would be no more than 3 inches. I just picked up a used Tejon. I buried a womans wedding band set (engagement + plain band soldered together) 5 inches in my yard. I tried the V3i and MXT with the 300, 10DD, 950 and 6x10 coils and none of them would hit on the ring and any descrimination mode. I had to go to relic or prospecting mode. Then they indicated Low Iron which I probably would have passed on. Same for the QXT Pro with a 950 coil. The Tejon hit the ring hard with good discrimination. I am resistant to the Tejon due to the lack of tone ID or some visual ID system. I do like it's simplicity and performance. I would expect to dig more rings (and tabs) with the Tejon. The Whites are great on coins hitting 8 inches and pretty good on silver rings, but let's face it, the gold rings are where it's at in the urban hunts.

Does anyone have the ability to test a Whites against a F75 or Omega 8000 with a similar test? Granted your ground conditions are different than mine, but it still might be interesting to see if the results are consistent.

OP
OP
TabWhisperer

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also please throw in a T2 or Minelabs FBS series for comparisons. I didn't mean to exclude anything in particular but I am curious to see results for similar class detectors.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a suprise with the White's not detecting a gold ring at depth, but you have to remember it isn't all in the size of the ring, but what alloys they are alloyed with. That is where the conductivity is at. A lot depends on the higher frequency needed for gold too. Comparing one detector against another is almost worthless unless you are comparing features, ease of use, warranties, and such. How do you put detectors in classes? By Price, weight, type, etc...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can say about this is what i have always said...............Just because you put out a big buck for a detector does not say it is a better detector than a lower priced one.....The only place a high price detector is better is in the minds of the owners and in there dreams..............

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,047

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro
Hey Jimbog. Would you say the ring you're using is size of small wedding band? I'll do a Vid on V3I reaction to one at 6 inch and post it as soon as I get a few extra minutes.

OP
OP
TabWhisperer

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a few shots of the rings next to my wedding band. The womans ring is stamped 14k. I get a VDI 17 on the V3i in the air. I took the ring to a school tonight with the Tejon and V3i and buried it again at 5 inches in the lawn. The ground was damp unlike my lawn which was dry in the area I previously buried it. The Tejon again hit hard and consistently. The V3i hit intermittently and gave inconsistent readings which to me look like trash showing mostly red bars and smeared bars. Both were tried from different angles, brushing the grass tops and scrubbing the ground. The Tejon as set at 9 and off course also hit on max. The V3i was initially set at RX 13 then bumped to 15 and then TX boost. Naturally both were ground balanced carefully. I think the ring sample is a good average between a small womans ring and a mans wedding band.

Attachments

• Ring1.jpg
    Ring1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 816
  • Ring2.jpg
    Ring2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 789
  • Ring3.jpg
    Ring3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 813

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro
Nice! I posted V3i "Good as Gold". Check it out. Also on you're test, you hear "it" with the Tejon but no display. So if you hear "it" with the V3, that's the proper comparison. If you compare display info you should compare it to another detector with display. Displays become unreliable at fringe depths of the specific target. In the vid, I also found that the 10 band filter and 3 freq. correlate seemed to display more consistant in that particular ground mineralization. But the clear audio winner was 2.5 freq and the 10 band filter with boost on. Rx 5/All metal 55/Dis. 90
You can push Gain up little if it doesn't become unstable.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Why would any one think they need a VDI, unless they can't hear?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
AUDuke said:
Why would any one think they need a VDI, unless they can't hear?
Thats a good question...........

Attachments

• road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 719
  • road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 692

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear very little negitive stuff about the tejon. I believe that will be my next machine. :coffee2:

OP
OP
TabWhisperer

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A quick update. I have a new Gold Bug Pro. I ran it today with an 11 inch coil that I expect to use when coin & jewelry hunting. I ran the same test and this thing hits it hard every time, different angles and speeds. VDI locks at 58-59 at 5 inches below or on the surface. It was running in disc mode (41) at about 77 sens. I have not tried the 5 inch coil yet. It has the feel of a Tejon being very light and seems to hits as hard as the Tejon with the additon of multi-tones and display. Very nice machine.

For what it's worth, I don't have the same hearing when I was 20. Some of us want displays, some don't. It's called personal choice.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Jimbog said:
A quick update. I have a new Gold Bug Pro. I ran it today with an 11 inch coil that I expect to use when coin & jewelry hunting. I ran the same test and this thing hits it hard every time, different angles and speeds. VDI locks at 58-59 at 5 inches below or on the surface. It was running in disc mode (41) at about 77 sens. I have not tried the 5 inch coil yet. It has the feel of a Tejon being very light and seems to hits as hard as the Tejon with the additon of multi-tones and display. Very nice machine.

For what it's worth, I don't have the same hearing when I was 20. Some of us want displays, some don't. It's called personal choice.
I don't have the same hearing I had at 70.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say what??????????? So I like to use Black Widow headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread