Texas buckle (I never thought Id say that)

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

My day started and almost ended the same as always. Hitting the same dried up Confederate camp, only pocketing some melted lead and a coin I couldn't date. The holes in this spot are everywhere. I always fill, but depressions develop and some days I wish I wore ankle braces. After 7 hours avoiding injury, I decided to call it a day. The deal to myself was to dig one last signal and, wow, I'm glad I did.

Dug was this tongue to a Texas buckle, or plate 315 for those who own Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates." At the time I had no idea what it was or how rare it would prove to be. The red clay where I hunt is brutal and the object could have passed for a brick. After a surprisingly high pitched shout and mild collapse, I readied for another pass thinking my luck is not near good enough to find the wreath. But again, another high brass signal. The ground was soft but I still spent the next 20 or so minutes digging a crater to prevent any damage. Shotgun shell!

My disappointment didn't last long. After all, here was a find that I'm certain will remain the find of my life plus I got permission from the wife to hunt til I find that wreath!

Attachments

• texas-frontLR.jpg
    texas-frontLR.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,716
  • texas-backLR.jpg
    texas-backLR.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 3,705
Upvote 1

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Texas buckle (I never thought I'd say that)

Excellent find,
I have seen only one other dug in 25 yrs of Detecting.

:thumbsup:, Nova Treasure

OP
OP
kyphote

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just want to thank everyone again for all the kind words, pleasant PM's and most of all the daily inspiration this site provides. Effort wise, I was pushed to the brink just before finding this. The summer was absolutely brutal as a lot of you know. My time investment averaged about 35 hours a week in a heat wave that pushed 100 nearly every day for two months. My body is littered with bite scars, I stepped on a snake, was attacked by a racoon, and contracted Lyme's disease (a two-week setback). On my most fruitless days, I'd come home, check this site and get instantly re-inspired. TreasureNet is truly something special and will remain my motivation for at least another 10,000 shotgun shells. Thanks again. :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kyphote said:
Just want to thank everyone again for all the kind words, pleasant PM's and most of all the daily inspiration this site provides. Effort wise, I was pushed to the brink just before finding this. The summer was absolutely brutal as a lot of you know. My time investment averaged about 35 hours a week in a heat wave that pushed 100 nearly every day for two months. My body is littered with bite scars, I stepped on a snake, was attacked by a racoon, and contracted Lyme's disease (a two-week setback). On my most fruitless days, I'd come home, check this site and get instantly re-inspired. TreasureNet is truly something special and will remain my motivation for at least another 10,000 shotgun shells. Thanks again. :notworthy:

I thought I was beaten up, makes my pains feel better already :D

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

My God, I looked at your post twice, that sir is the best CW relic I have seen in a very very long time. Huge Congrats to you :thumbsup:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty neat. I would love to find an old buckle like that, I don't think there would be many in my area though

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find and worth the effort. Is it from the same site you found your CS shield? Congratulations on your find and hope the wreath shows under your coil.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on the banner!!!!! Cant wait to see if you find the other half!!!!!!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on a well deserved BANNER FIND!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Great Banner Find!
An awesome peice of History!
Thanks for sharing this. More great digs to You!! Herbie.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bump :thumbsup:

badluck

Feb 26, 2008
central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garretts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You show Virginia as your locale, can you document the Texas Brigade at this campsite? I don' think many other Texas troops were in the eastern theatre, except in the Army of the Tennessee.

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW! I don't think I would be able to stand after finding something like that!

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Find! Congrats on the Banner! :icon_thumright:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Congradulations on the rare piece. As I understand it, few of them were made, as Texas didn't have as big a part in the CW conflict, as did the states further eastward. For whatever reason, few were made, and few are found.

A buddy of mine found one here in CA at a site that dated in the 1860s-ish, but his was one of those flimsy kind. Ie.: the type you can practically bend and break with your fingers. Not the heavy-cast type like yours. Still though, I recall he had offers into the multiple hundreds, and was told it was very rare. So I can only imagine what yours would fetch!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
Congradulations on the rare piece. As I understand it, few of them were made, as Texas didn't have as big a part in the CW conflict, as did the states further eastward. For whatever reason, few were made, and few are found.

A buddy of mine found one here in CA at a site that dated in the 1860s-ish, but his was one of those flimsy kind. Ie.: the type you can practically bend and break with your fingers. Not the heavy-cast type like yours. Still though, I recall he had offers into the multiple hundreds, and was told it was very rare. So I can only imagine what yours would fetch!

Too bad your buddy didnt take those offers Tom,as has been said before the one he dug(we have dug many)were no affiliation to Texas or Mississippi.The one above is a tried true real deal.Also the flimsy ones you speak of were used in a utilitarian capacity and were the more common

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Kuger, Ah ......... you flushed that out, that the flimsy construction ones (despite what may have been depicted on them) are not the same military issue sought-after ones as the heavy cast ones. Ok, in that case, I'll offer it to you for a mere $100! ;D

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
Kuger, Ah ......... you flushed that out, that the flimsy construction ones (despite what may have been depicted on them) are not the same military issue sought-after ones as the heavy cast ones. Ok, in that case, I'll offer it to you for a mere $100! ;D

Right,they were not affiliated with the Military in any capacity but were manufactured specifically for the Gold Rush,and were actually quite hardy(we have found them worn smooth from use,and you know how rough daily life was back then)There was cast ones also that had nothing to do with any military (the one above is a totally different style and was military)I tell ya what......I will trade ya one of my "Flimsy",Stars for your Eureka Tongue ;D :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I missed this post as I was getting a new computer but Dixiedigger told me about it. That's a rare and LIFETIME find. Congrats on the well deserved banner and good luck finding the wreath portion. HH, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread