worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe,I don't like it one bit,last winter was mild here,hunted straight through,now,the ground is getting pretty hard to penetrate,still have the woods though. GodBless Chris

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joe wait till august, the ground will be hard as concrete

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and the summer starts in July,NO,June,No,May,No,usually April in Austin8-)

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe & Produce Guy I can appreciated what you are saying about those 100 degree days we get them here as well summer of 2011 saw something like 60 straight days of over 100 with humidity almost to match. As hot as that was I almost prefer that to the bitter cold and wind chill. The ground gets really hard when frozen and deep snow is no help either. All things are better in moderation... temperature is no different. Say something between 55 and 85 would make me real happy. The family did Christmas here today so I was hoping to get out some tomorrow but they are talking about a snow storm which means I may end up going to work.

OP
OP
joeismad

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
firemac said:
joe wait till august, the ground will be hard as concrete

I haven't tried digging when it's a hundred, but I'm begging that David is right, the ground will be baked rock hard.

About 20 years ago I spent a couple of winter monthson Lake Michigan. I hate he heat here, but I never want to experience cold like that again.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
joeismad

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
webatch said:
Joe & Produce Guy I can appreciated what you are saying about those 100 degree days we get them here as well summer of 2011 saw something like 60 straight days of over 100 with humidity almost to match. As hot as that was I almost prefer that to the bitter cold and wind chill. The ground gets really hard when frozen and deep snow is no help either. All things are better in moderation... temperature is no different. Say something between 55 and 85 would make me real happy. The family did Christmas here today so I was hoping to get out some tomorrow but they are talking about a snow storm which means I may end up going to work.

You're darn right, the best days are about 70 degrees.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Obviously you ain't spent a winter in the Texas panhandle. Once walked for pizza because there was a foot of ice on the car. 0* and wind chill of -35* Cold enough for me. But yeah, it is pretty mild here. As for 100*+, put away the detector, grab the golf clubs, a 12 pack on ice and hit along the tree line. Ah----paradise...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I sit here and read this thread, right now outside my door it is -41C (-41.8F) including the wind chill factor. Local weather warnings are in effect due to the extreme cold. My last possible detecting was shortly after Halloween, and hopefully I'll be able to dig again in April. Talk about cabin fever! Oh well, just another winter in the Great White North.

I am SUPER jealous of you guys that can still plunge a blade into the soil....or even see the soil for that matter!!!

Happy hunting...

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A balmy 38 degs here in Ohio, ground is still soft to dig in, only problem is snow sticking to the coil. Found a 57 Rosie and 45 Wheatie , and $1.04 in clad after 3 hrs in the cold. Going back out tomorrow..I'm sick I know! Got to get my fix in. HH

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I had always thought that the cold was better than the heat. You can always keep layering you close in the cold, but in the heat, there's just so many clothes you can take off before someone calls the cops.

Have a Merry Christmas y'all,

Bill

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in WV and Virginia last year was nice. As it was in the 40's and sometimes 50's during the day. Hopefully it will be nice again this season so I won't be stuck in the house since I do seasonal work.

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, Rosita, CO. here. 7" snow and 6 above this Christmas morning. Got out yesterday for a few minutes in some places the snow had melted. three lead bullets mostly 22's. Like to froze my behind. So doesn't look as though will be able to MD for sometime now. Damn!*^#@

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here in north dakota it is 6 degrees this morning
no bugs, mosquitoes, or flies however
gotta wait to go hunting for a few months though

OP
OP
joeismad

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
pistol-pete said:
Hi, Rosita, CO. here. 7" snow and 6 above this Christmas morning. Got out yesterday for a few minutes in some places the snow had melted. three lead bullets mostly 22's. Like to froze my behind. So doesn't look as though will be able to MD for sometime now. Damn!*^#@

Well, it's about 45 here, which is fine, but we had heavy rain all of last night which will be ongoing all day. I was really hoping to get out today and hit the playgrounds, but no such luck.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-4038486134.jpg

Merry Christmas lol!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain folks! I'm in Fremont California, it's maybe 40 F outside and it has been raining off and on all night long. If I weren't going to go visiting friends for Christmas I would likely bring out the XLT but not today. What I would really like to be doing would be prospecting out in the mountains some 190 miles away. Alas, they are covered in snow, the temps are really low, the rivers are really high and dangerous but I know I am blessed to be able to still detect in the city. Merry Christmas to all...63bkpkr

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the ground is not frozen then I say dig.....Good luck to all that get out there this week!

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
SE la Christmas day . Low 60's . Once the fam is asleep I'm out detecting. Found a SL quarter this thnx giving under the same conditions. Wish me luck!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I find interesting about this site is all of the hunters who have to shut it down for the winter. I guess I'm trying to imagine what a really cold winter is like. Here in Texas I may have to shut it down in the summer, as it can be 100 at 9pm.

Well here in Louisiana we hunt year round, even in the 100 degree heat. So we'll try to keep the forum going with something nice too look at over the winter. ;)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions