Text identification on Ring found @ low tide.

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No markings on inner band, Interesting text on outter. Used jeweler's loupe to pull entire text from left to right. May be upside down??

Thank you for the help .Tnet's the Best !!

FOTO_20210802_172300.jpg
FOTO_20210802_172328.jpg

OP
OP
thursdaythunder

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoops.. Meant to post this with the "What is it?" threads. If anybody knows how to move it please have at it. Thanks again for looking!

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those appear to be Elder Futhark Runes, much in vogue for those interested in fantasy/role play and such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Futhark

I'll leave it to someone with more time to figure out if they translate letter for letter into a message in English, a message in a Scandinavian language, or just something nonsensical. My bet would be on the first. The ring is clearly modern.

Upvote 0

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Those appear to be Elder Futhark Runes, much in vogue for those interested in fantasy/role play and such.

I'll leave it to someone with more time to figure out if they translate letter for letter into a message in English, a message in a Scandinavian language, or just something nonsensical. My bet would be on the first. The ring is clearly modern.

Man they are close to what Red-Coat suggests. There?s a couple missing or upside down (but some match). Followed the trail of his link and it?s close to Etruscan but not quite that either.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man they are close to what Red-Coat suggests. There?s a couple missing or upside down (but some match). Followed the trail of his link and it?s close to Etruscan but not quite that either.

Looks to me like they all match to Futhark Runes, with the exception of two characters (appearing several times) which are either back to front or borrowed from a different character set... and assuming the colons are being used for word separation purposes.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should add that (over here), if you go into any "new ager" shop (and especially if you go to somewhere like Glastonbury), you will find rings, bracelets, necklaces, amulets, wands, tarot cards, pocket pieces and mystic "lucky" stones festooned with runic characters. Mostly the characters are lifted from the authentic Futhark character sets (Younger or Elder Futhark, and sometimes an improper mix of the two), plus misrepresented, borrowed, and invented characters to assist in transcription when the required characters are unavailable. The latter particularly when there is difficulty transliterating someone's name into runes for engraving onto a piece of jewellery. The modern runic alphabet invented by Larsson is also sometimes used (generally in the mistaken belief that it's an authentic mediaeval language).

Upvote 0

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ElderFuthark?Man,here I thought it was Hebrew!Silly me,definitely not up on what,s hip!Nice ID and nice find too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thursdaythunder

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ID Red-Coat :occasion14:
Thank you for the help & confirmation !!
Now I'll get my Little orphan Annie secret society decoder pen, and decode this Futhark Runes ring .
"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome.

Google "Runic Ring", click on "images" and you'll see hundreds of offerings. Some with full 'alphabets', some with inspirational quotes, and some offering custom inscriptions... especially as trendy wedding bands. As well as silver, they're often made in titanium or stainless steel.

Upvote 0

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Looks to me like they all match to Futhark Runes, with the exception of two characters (appearing several times) which are either back to front or borrowed from a different character set... and assuming the colons are being used for word separation purposes.

The colons were for word separation [emoji2359] My English Literature prof would be so proud of me right now...
Made the leap that if the ?F? and the other one was backwards and the colon was missing that it must be another related alphabet. Tsk tsk. Regardless, well done Red-Coat.

TT, love that movie. Gets watched yearly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread