Thanks Carol...For Kicking Sand in My Face and Eating My Lunch!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went to a popular beach on the west coast of Florida to metal detect the water for a day (5 hrs). Shortly after entering the water, down the beach about 40 yds, I saw someone else in the water metal detecting. He moved quickly through the waist high water towards me as I worked in deeper water and concentrated on a depression where I was reaching clay. Before I knew it the other metal detectorist was near and that is when I noticed he was a she - Carol. She was totally covered in black wetsuit except for a small opening for her face. Carol was packing a hip-mounted Fisher Cz21, that she had been using for more than a decade (I think she said since 1997, but my hearing isn't so good). Although older than even me, probably 70ish, she moved through the water with ease and had a short (2ft) coil swing allowing her to move quickly through the water and yet cover very well the ground she passed over. I asked is she visited TreasureNet or Findmall and she said "No, I don't post anything."

We parted after passing pleasantries and she headed more toward shore as I continued in my hole. Shortly after, only 10 yds from me, I noticed she had recovered a target and that she was wiping it on her pouch cloth. She looked at me smiling and I ask if it was gold? She shows me a Man's wedding band and says it's probably Cobalt. "I found 18 of these junk-type wedding rings last year", she says. Well, I've found stainless steel, Titanium and Tungsten wedding rings but not Cobalt, I reply. I congratulate her and we part again, she moving steadily up the beach.

About an hour later, I noticed Carol was working back toward me just as I was turning and going back down the beach, not having much luck except for an encrusted, possibly silver, ring. A few minutes later, as I was recovering a target, that turned out to be a cent, I noticed Carol between me and the shore recovering a target. Shortly thereafter, she's again rubbing something on her pouch and smiling. I splash over and ask again, is it gold? Yes, she replied. As I get there she shows me a white gold and diamond Woman's wedding band. Wow and Congrats, I say, stunned. "I put it on my finger and now it won't come off", she replied with a chuckle. As I return to deeper water, she moves on shore and is talking with people, enjoying her finds, while I continued to toil in the surf.

At the end of the day I returned with about 15 clad and a small encrusted silver ring. Carol had, at least, one gold ring, one Cobalt ring, a large silver dollar type metal (something about "3 Months"), and some change. And that's just the things she and I talked about recovering.
Carol, you put me to shame in the water today. I demand a rematch, if you ever read this testimonial to your impressive metal detecting abilities.

Upvote 0

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah, nothing like the feeling of swinging your coil over an area, only to have someone else swing their coil over it a few minutes later and dig up something nice lol. In that I'm happy for you not happy for you lol.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or giggling at the old touristy looking guy trogging down the dry sand with an old used n abused Red Baron swinging about a foot off the sand. As we passed each other I made a remark about scrubbing for more depth. His response? I'm just looking for watches I like watches as he pulls several out of his pockets. Yup! shut my mouth right & proper!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well she is using a CZ21 - we follow Excals all the time and find stuff they miss :laughing7:

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
well she is using a CZ21 - we follow Excals all the time and find stuff they miss :laughing7:

Man, I saw that one coming! But no kidding, made me pause and think.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in her 70's?
LIke trump I prefer my females in their 20's

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Carol knows her stuff! I've detected with her. Glad you enjoyed your day out!

surfmaid

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Pensacola Beach,FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280
Fisher CZ21 8"
Fisher CZ21 10"
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
OK Larry ~ I would welcome a rematch !!!

Clearwater ring.jpg The ring was 14k - 11.7 grms - 11 diamonds & The other band turned out to be forged titanium. "Go For Gold ~ Go Fisher"

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Debby, havn't seen you in awhile , been having other problems with the health, I get out once in awhile, Happy Hunting.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Carol already! Thats a beautiful ring!

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
View attachment 1424412 The ring was 14k - 11.7 grms - 11 diamonds & The other band turned out to be forged titanium. "Go For Gold ~ Go Fisher"

You put a smile on my face and next time we meet MDing I won't hold back just because you're a girl! Ha Ha :hello:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like she twisted the lesche a little lol :laughing7:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! I love a good read on TNet!
I want front row seats to the rematch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread