Thanks ebayers on TN

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here, not only for the great advice, but to all those great questions too! From how to word a listing to photographs, it all helps. I have been selling on eBay for almost 2 months now and have had a great time. Definitely learn as you go, with help from TN.

About 23 hours ago I posted musky lures as a lot at $.99 that I had valued at about $40 (low end) from my research. Well the bidding is over $42 already and there are 14 watchers and 10 bids, and 6 days to go!!! I know it does not seem like much compared to a lot of sales you read about here but I paid $5 for the lot. I am stoked!!!

Thanks to all!!!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good going hunts with son,the best part is you are never going to stop finding out what will sell for good money,just do not buy real expensive stuff to resale a .50 cent cup can bring 30.00 dollars

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
good going hunts with son,the best part is you are never going to stop finding out what will sell for good money,just do not buy real expensive stuff to resale a .50 cent cup can bring 30.00 dollars

I dont follow this advice. Why not buy expensive stuff for resale?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just had not had any luck trying to sell something i paid over 100.00 dollars for yet,i could see if it was gold or something you knew was worth alot more at your local antique store but its a big risk for me on ebay.i fell safer selling twenty dollar items so if you get burned its not too bad.i think ebay is more fun when you spend little amounts and get big returns.

Last edited:

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just resold a Laser Printer with a couple of boxes of toner

I spent $200 . I ended up selling the Printer for $500 and the toner for $100

So I ended up making around $400 .. Audentes fortuna iuvat (Fortune Favors the Bold )

If you are going to take a chance and spend a large amount , be sure you know something about what you are buying and that you know what the current market will pay for that item.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Right! I just bought a particular coin for $200. If I wanted to, I could turn around and sell it for $800. Of course, I bought the coin for my own collection and is not for sale, but that is besides the point. It is all about knowledge and personal comfort level of what you are buying/selling.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont follow this advice. Why not buy expensive stuff for resale?
Because you have to know what you are buying before you shell out decent money for something. I think Jamie gave good advice for novice sellers. Granted he should have followed up his "just do not buy real expensive stuff to resell" with an "unless you know it's true value already."

mjlalt's response answered your question and you acknowledged the reasoning. You don't buy expensive stuff for resale unless you are already knowledgeable in the true value of that item in today's market. I have a few regrets with one or two large $ items I've bought in the past that I should have passed on because I wasn't educated enough to make the correct decision of not to buy it in the first place.

If you are going to take a chance and spend a large amount , be sure you know something about what you are buying and that you know what the current market will pay for that item.
Right! I just bought a particular coin for $200. If I wanted to, I could turn around and sell it for $800. Of course, I bought the coin for my own collection and is not for sale, but that is besides the point. It is all about knowledge and personal comfort level of what you are buying/selling.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks diggummup thats what i was thinking

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Auction ends tomorrow night and I have 159 views, 21 watchers, and 7 bidders. In the low $50's now, and my high expectations was $50 even, my best auction by far!

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get used to those auction results. Most auctions go for one bid or way less than you would like. Experiment with BIN OBO

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thanks. I have sold a few items BIN and usually my auctions have been 1-4 bidders. This is the exception to the rule, so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread