Thanks for an awesum very successful 2008 first season

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
Well I must say 7 months ago I never thought I'd be as addicted to his hobby as I am now.
Early this spring I was browsing the net and came across this site, I spent days on here reading and browsing etc. it was enough after years of procrastinating to send me out to get some equipment. I spent quite a bit of time reading manuals, trying different stuff , trying to find good spots to detect etc. I got a ton of information and help on this board.
the first few weeks were a bit depressing as I wasn't doing so good with it. Quite a bit has changed since then. I got smart and decided to find myself someone to detect with, after all it is a bit freaky to be roaming around in the middle of nowhere by yourself sometimes.I also figured I could learn a bit from someone that has been doing this for a while.
I checked the michigan forum and came across a post from Saginawian who was looking for a hunting partner also. Turns out he lived less than a mile for me which has worked out great. He invited me to meet him at what has turned out to be probably one of the best sites I have ever hunted besides the one we are currently woking on. My wife thought i was nuts "your going to meet someone youve never met out in the middle of the friggin woods?" I guess im brave. That site was enough to get me hooked as I started doing research on local history, mapping and techniques to find the same kind of sites, which I can say i've gotten pretty good at as we have hunted over 40 different sites with remnants of cellar holes this summer, and some of them have produced some really cool stuff.
I have been using a white's xlt this summer which had been just an awesum piece of equipment, I have beat the crap out of this machine its been dropped thrown around, beat into trees and i just flat out haven't been gentle at all with it, and it hasnt skipped a beat or let me down at all. I appreciate the comments everyone has left me and wish you all the best hunting season upcoming for 2009.
I would like to say thanks to the following people especially

Marc- owner of the site for keeping it running so we have the best treasure site ever to hang out on, without it i think we would all be lost......

Planet1mars- for hangin for a few trips out....

My wife Kym- for putting up with me and doing most of the yard work all summer while i was out playing all summer and never complaining or saying a word about it to me.

Ians wife- for letting him out of the house almost every day and most of the weekend this summer

Buckleboy- for all of his expert id help, its really appreciated he is the king of relic hunters in my book

And of course
Saginawian- I've learned a lot of technique from this guy who has turned out to be the best treasure hunting partner you could ask for, I think we have become pretty good friends over the summer and totally trust him. We have logged well over 700 hours of detecting this summer and have had a ton of fun doing it.

so again thanks to everyone here for making this a successfull season this year, I couldn't have asked for anything better.......except for maybe a LC

Dan

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
Nice post Dan. You and Ian are lucky to have each other as hunting partners. A coworker got me started in "treasure hunting" in the fall of 2007. I rushed out and bought a entry level Bounty Hunter. Had a blast detecting local school tot lots and sports parks. Next was the Whites Prizm, got some silver rings and even a little 10k gold ring. Of course I've got a bucket full of scrap iron, copper, aluminum, and various blobs of ? ... keys, toy cars, toy guns, modern carnival tokens, even a few wheat pennys. My patient wife has come along on some weekend evening hunts but shy's away from actually swinging one of my detectors herself. The aformentioned coworker hasn't been very responsive to my suggestions of hunting together. Don't mean this to sound like a sob story, I'm having fun sorta bumbling along by myself. I too am very thankful for this web site and am learning more about this great "hobby" every day.

Like the man says:

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
'A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds'

CRUSADER

GLP403b

Nov 30, 2008
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Now this newbie in the Northwestern part of Oakland County, MI who is just getting started with a DFX (my first MD), needs to find a partner to go hunting with. ??? :icon_scratch:

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan you made hunting fun for me. i have learned a lot from the first day i went out with you..i cant wait for next spring or summer. im hopeing to meet more people from the site to do more hunting, its amazing whats in the earth and i just cant comprehend what could be below our feet everywhere we look. its endless

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Dan - you tha man! Nice post. Ditto on the fun time this summer. You are a good friend. How many times have we been like " I GOTTTTAAAA COOOIIIIINNNN!! and then both swing the coils to check it and bam, theres the coin and some high fives. That's what it's all about. What fun is finding a coin and high fiving a tree or deer? Gotta have a buddy. Lots of laughs and more to come. I've learned alot from you - you know how I wander aimlessly in the woods with no method! I learned to slow down and hunt more methodically. How cool that we live right around the corner. I appreciate the sharing of hunting intel - it's kept me busy. Dang, I think I lost a couple pounds with all the exercise. Remember hunting at night with the lantern - on devils night? Spooky. Or even spookier - how bout that lady that was watching us in the woods - or watching me when you walked up on her. Strange. (sorry guys inside jokes here)

Anyway, fun and good friends - that's what it's all about and I look forward to much more.

Planetmars - we didn't get together this summer, but this spring we'll hook up. I gotta try that Cibola! Don't get rid of that over the winter- I might want that.

Dan- you are well above the learning curve with detecting. You have skills far above what you should at this point - that is due to your tireless research and and tinkering with your detector. You haven't missed a coin yet.

Peace - Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread