Permission Letter: Need reviews and suggestions

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
There are a few vacant lots that I'm wanting to detect on. I found out who owns the lots and I've drafted a letter to them asking them for permission to hunt in return for me cutting the grass, picking up trash, etc.

Can you read the letter and make any suggestions on changes?

THE LETTER
Dear Sir or Madam,

I understand that your company owns several vacant lots along XXXXXXX Street in Pensacola. At ZERO cost to you, would you be interested in having these lots maintained (i.e. grass/weeds mowed, trash/debris pick-up, etc.)?

I am trying to find places to take my young son metal detecting in our area with the potential of finding some nostalgic items. If you are interested in my proposal, I would be happy to enter into any verbal or written agreement giving me the responsibility of maintaining these lots in return for the privilege to metal detect on these properties. Any agreement we make can be nullified at your discretion. By profession, I’m a Systems Engineer working for a defense contractor at XXXXXX. Therefore, lot maintenance and any metal detecting would only be performed for a few hours on a weekend day.

Any holes that may be dug would be with respect to any vegetation that is present. All plugs of sod will be properly replaced when filling the small holes and the lots will always be returned to their proper state before we leave. In addition to the clean-up of these lots, any hazardous debris (such as glass, rusty iron, lead, etc) uncovered during our metal detecting will also be properly disposed of. As you may or may not know, this area was historically utilized as a primitive landfill before residential expansion began in this area during the 1920’s and 1930’s.

I’m a 6th generation Pensacolian and I am deeply rooted in our historic heritage and preservation of its relics. There are many items that I have found over the years, which are now displayed at the XXXXX Museum as well as the YYYYY Museum. Any finds of historic nature that I do recover will be discretely donated to these museums or can be donated in your name if you prefer.

I am particularly interested in metal detecting the lot located at the corner of XXXX St. and YYYY St.

You may contact me at my home, cell phone, or work phone (listed below) at your convenience.

Your consideration and response are greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

XXXXX YYYY

So there it is; truthfull but maybe a little wordy. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Pcola

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There are also some threads on this "cold call letter" issue that beg to differ on the whole issue of letters to begin with. Ie.: their success rate. The logic is this: You are much better off meeting them in person. Yes it is difficult to "just happen to bump into someone and start up casual conversation", but the alternative is a very low success rate. I mean, think of it: What do YOU do with junk mail from a total stranger? Throw it away, right?

When I first started detecting, I sent out a few letters like that, and wondered why I never even got a reply, much less a yes or no. But looking back, I realize that if I opened up something like that, from someone I'd never met, I'd probably think "yeah right" and ignore it too. But catching someone on their porch, introducing yourself with a smile, telling how you understand they have the "such & such lot in the historic part of this town", etc... Have a few IH's or buffalos, etc... to show that you found at another such vacant lot near that one, so you were wondering if you could also walk around on his, blah blah.

On a different note altogether, is the lots posted or fenced? Are they maintained, or just blighted vacant blocks?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest taking a couple of test shots with the letter at your non-critical locations. Their response will give you an idea as to how your letter is being received. If they say no, ask why and make changes. If yes, you're a winner!

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Very good points made by all. I think I will try sending a letter to them and follow it up a week or so later in person.

Thanks for the great advice peeps! :thumbsup:

PcolaBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread