Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More information please!
Are you classifying your cons before blue bowling them? You need to sift the dirt to the same size. A window screen is about 20 mesh (20 squares per inch). you need to at least classify down to that size, I have a 20 mesh a 50 mesh and a 70 mesh I use with mine. Once you get the dirt separated into different containers you run them each separately. What you are going after is the specific gravity of gold. if all the pieces are the same size the gold will be easy to catch in the blue bowl. That's how you catch the really small stuff with a blue bowl. Do you have some water tweezers to put the small gold into a vial?
5003__96596.1405457629.1280.1280.jpg

OP
OP
Panman

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all 20 mesh. I have a 3 gallon bucket of 20 mesh black sand that has been panned and run through the blue bowl. JUst wondering how much more effort I should put into recovering smaller gold that didn't stay in the blue bowl. So I should classify it down to 30 or 50 mesh?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all 20 mesh. I have a 3 gallon bucket of 20 mesh black sand that has been panned and run through the blue bowl. JUst wondering how much more effort I should put into recovering smaller gold that didn't stay in the blue bowl. So I should classify it down to 30 or 50 mesh?
yes, you have to take it to the mesh you want to recover at.
if you are running it all on 20 mesh, you aren't getting all the smaller stuff. Sure you may get some of it, but you're washing the smalls right down the output hole :)

OP
OP
Panman

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try to approximate mesh size differences that reduce by about 1/2 from screen to screen. Example groupings would use 30, 50, 100 or 40, 80, 150 mesh screen classifiers. Other intermediate screens are usually not necessary as gold within the size range groupings suggested will probably outweigh particles of non gold by a large margin and thus be fairly easy to separate and recover. Good luck.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to slow the flow accordingly as you run the smaller mesh sizes.

GG~

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 mesh is too big for the blue bowl. Run 30, 50, 100 etc. for the finer gold. Drop the water level 1/4 " for each mesh. 30 mesh water is at the top of the bowl. 50 mesh drop water level (speed) 1/4" from the top. 100 mesh 1/2 " from the top etc. 30 mesh can be fed 1 cup of material at a time. All others 1 tablespoon at a time. When you are ready to remove the gold use a turkey baster to blow the gold and any other fines left to the outside edge. Then restart the bowl at the proper speed to clean the remaining light material out to leave only gold in the bowl. Then use a suffer bottle to remove the gold and put into a vial. Do this for each mesh size.

Good Luck !!

BH Prospector

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
20 mesh is too big for the blue bowl. Run 30, 50, 100 etc. for the finer gold. Drop the water level 1/4 " for each mesh. 30 mesh water is at the top of the bowl. 50 mesh drop water level (speed) 1/4" from the top. 100 mesh 1/2 " from the top etc. 30 mesh can be fed 1 cup of material at a time. All others 1 tablespoon at a time. When you are ready to remove the gold use a turkey baster to blow the gold and any other fines left to the outside edge. Then restart the bowl at the proper speed to clean the remaining light material out to leave only gold in the bowl. Then use a suffer bottle to remove the gold and put into a vial. Do this for each mesh size.

Good Luck !!

BH Prospector

Couldn't have said it better myself. Do a Google search for Prospecting Channel. They are previewing some of their videos for free. One of them is on the use of a Blue Bowl. Great demonstration.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread