That feeling you get when you find a 200 year old coin! Picture heavy post cool stuff

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I had that feeling ... for about 30 minutes until I found out it was only a 106 year old coin. Last hole of the night last night and I dug what I thought was a large copper from 1809 ... turns out it was a 1909 British penny. I am still excited as it's my oldest coin to date.

10-23-15MDFinds-1679.jpg 10-23-15MDFinds-1682.jpg

Someone drilled it to make a necklace i guess? It also has some sort of gold sheen to it, like it was painted or coated??

I've also decided to post all the cool stuff I've found since my last finds thread on 10/9 ... I've had a stellar month I think and I'm totally hooked on the old stuff now. It's funny when you think you smell the silver in the ground LOL.

10-17-15-MetalDetectingFinds-1672.jpg

Old copper tube of some sort found in an old church's overflow parking lot. It was all rocky and tough digging. Anyone have a clue what this is or how old it is? It's about 2.25 inches long

10-18-15MetalDetectingFinds-1658.jpg

I dug an ornate horn mouth piece, i think it is silver plated. H.N. Whites 60 ... seems to be pretty old based on some of the research i've done.

Oct2015Finds-1691.jpg

I found all six of these, the lesser crusty buffalo nickel below, and a silver rosie that's grouped with my silvers at one spot this past Monday night.

Oct2015Finds-1687.jpg

This is a first for me - dug two buffaloes one has a date of 1923 or 1925 not sure.

Oct2015Finds-1692.jpg

And look at these beauties! I found the silver Canadian dime dirt fishing sidewalks in an old part of town.

10-18-15MetalDetectingFinds-1662.jpg 10-18-15MetalDetectingFinds-1663.jpg

Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated it. I think it's lead and it is the same diameter as a dime. It seems to be a cap to something as the back has some sort of attachment but also has no screw threads. I am baffled. Found at a house that was built in the late 1800s

10-23-15MDFinds-1674.jpg

A beautiful old ornate (brass i think) pocket knife found at the same site as the British penny last night

10-23-15MDFinds-1675.jpg 10-23-15MDFinds-1676.jpg

First hole i dug last night, my first minie ball i think. it weights 30.9 grams with the dirt still lodged in it.

October15Junque .JPG

And finally, my unique rusty stuff and other neat junique items.

Is that an old rusty key? it was found at a known civil war camp along with other rusty looking horse shoe thing. Not pictured is the 3.5 pounds of camp lead i found.

Anyways, thanks for digging my digs! I appreciate any help identifying the lead griffon cap. Hope everyone is out digging and having fun and having a great weekend!

Upvote 16

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on those digs. Looks like you found a great place to detect. To everyday people it's just trash, but we all know better... it's treasure for sure. :bronzetrophy:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SWR THAT IS REALLY A NICE BUNCH OF FINDS ....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent bunch of finds.

I really like that horn mouthpiece.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, , sounds like you are hooked.
I have had the ACE 350 & the AT PRO.
The PRO is like the ACE 250 & ACE 350 on Steroids. My main choice of weapons today is the E-trac. It was proven to me over and over again on group hunts that the E-trac will go deeper and find more silver than the PRO. I know that it is going to be hard but,, try to put at least 100 hours in on your detector before seriously thinking about upgrading. Just my 2 cents.
Excellent collection of finds.
Thank you so much. I'm having so much fun too. 3 months in and I am already wanting to upgrade from my Ace 350

OP
OP
SirWalterRaleigh

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man, I'm hooked. This hobby is actually great for some personal stuff Im dealing with. I'm getting close to that 100 hr mark but I'm going to hold off for that e-trac

That's actually what I want so no need to move up another level when I can just save for that one. Everything that I've read about that mine lab just tells me it's what I want to have

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done well on that group of hunts.Now that is what an awesome assortment looks like.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP, the very last picture on the bottom is a piece of metal with a square hole in it. I think that is off an older one speed bicycle brake. the square went over the rear axle and the other end was secured to the frame with a small bolt. At least that is how mine worked in the early 50's.

OP
OP
SirWalterRaleigh

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, good to know. I thought it was a wrench or some sort^

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread