borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a painful scratch

This is my 4th barber quarter this year and this is probably the best detailed. I found it at a "backup" , "last ditch effort" spot after I got rejected at an old house. Where I found this, the coin outdates the city so it's cool to imagine who dropped it. Supposedly the very rich used to frequent this area for water recreation during that time period. Three feet to the right of this hole I had just stepped over a well-used "snake skin" and had low expectations from my less than stellar morning. Finally got a good signal and when it kept going deeper (about 6 inches) I lightly scraped the bottom of the hole to reveal if anything was there like the junk I had been digging. Man do I regret that. You can't see it in the first images but an angle in light shows it.

Any ideas on how to increase its eye appeal with minimal additional effect to numismatic value? Being more careful next time doesnt count. I realize with the scratch there isn't a whole lot left. It happens

image-3742169406.jpg

image-3130219786.jpg

image-1124007175.jpg

Upvote 9

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe time is going to be the best thing for it. It will darken that area a bit so the scrape is less noticeable. Just be happy it wasn't a super valuable or rare one. It happens my friend. I'm glad it didn't happen to me yesterday lol

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe time is going to be the best thing for it. It will darken that area a bit so the scrape is less noticeable. Just be happy it wasn't a super valuable or rare one. It happens my friend. I'm glad it didn't happen to me yesterday lol
yeah good thing! your find's definitely a dream for a lot of us man. Congrats

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Coin! That thing does have some nice detail. I remeber pullig a quarter out of the bottom of the hole, and never rubbed it. When I got home and rinsed it, you could see where I picked it up. I wouldn't worry bout it too much...still a great coin

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah good thing! your find's definitely a dream for a lot of us man. Congrats
Thanks. It's easy to nick a coin. I really try to dig an exaggerated plug. If my machine says something is 6" deep I will dig down 10". But it still happens. In lots of places it's hard to dig. You just do the best you can and hope you don't hit a great one.

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a nice find congrats.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're all gonna goof once in a while. Still a great looking coin with good detail.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not as bad as some I've seen, imagine digging a VF quality seated only to put a gash in the eagle's head. :D

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not that bad. I've seen worse. If you're digging out in the woods just open the hole up a bit more. Just fill it back in and nature will take care of the rest. If you're in yards pinpointing better would be key. Good luck

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not that bad. I've seen worse. If you're digging out in the woods just open the hole up a bit more. Just fill it back in and nature will take care of the rest. If you're in yards pinpointing better would be key. Good luck

Yea, I wouldnt beat your self over it....Here is my first Franklin Half I found...Now that is a scratch..lol

franklkin.jpg

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice barber, It's a shame you scratched it, I scratch an 1838 Large Cent I found this year. Anyways, Still an outstanding find!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Barber.
& Don't feel bad I've "Nailed" my fair share of targets over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread