The $12,500 Metal Detector

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
They have managed to do extremely well here so far with "underdeveloped and ridiculously overpriced", this is the transition into absolutely obscene and bizarre.....

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a bust on Minelab users, they do make some darn good equipment. But to price it this high wiould truely need justified beyond a doubt. I could buy a nice used 4x4 to carry me and my XLT around. Some kind of specialty underwater gear, maybe, but a land based machine? For our sake, I hope it flops. In the nicest way of course!

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BFO's Rock! Did I hear about a new one somewhere?
I can understand a place in the niche detector market for high priced equipment, and can respect it, but it is not for me. I drive an old rusted Ford PU, and do my THing with what most consider electronic junk, just not into the high prices or advanced tech. Starting to love my old resurrected BFO more every time I use it. Cheers!!

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discounting the GPZ 7000 as soon as it begins hitting the market, does not bode well for Minelab! One expects that discounted units will be sold down the road as inventories begin to pile up and sit on the shelf for long periods but not this early in the game.

Frank

$3,000 off the sticker before they hit the showrooms? Wow! I'd have to agree.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$3,000 off the sticker before they hit the showrooms? Wow! I'd have to agree.

everybody does that.

there is always a Manufacturers Suggested Retail that most of the Mom & Pops try to get

and then the actual "I will let it go at" & big Box sales price.

until the black Friday sale when they discount to what their contracts say the
minimum they are allowed to sell at :laughing7:

at least that is how it appears to me

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I won the lottery (or was wicked loaded) I would quit my job and still detect every day. HOWEVER, I would have a butler following me around serving me drinks with umbrellas.

and.... DO MOST ALL THE DIGGING!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not me

Nobody does my digging :unhappysmiley:

the first second of being the first to see that find in my hand, Good or bad

makes it all worth while

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wouldn't give you 25 cents For in lab detector when the cable shooting fell off my $1200 Excalibur and they wouldn't replace it and they even admitted it wasn't the right cable where the coil great company they said I should not have left it out in the Sun oh ok underwater metal detector that you can't use in the Sun great. Thanks minelub

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everybody does that.

there is always a Manufacturers Suggested Retail that most of the Mom & Pops try to get

and then the actual "I will let it go at" & big Box sales price.

until the black Friday sale when they discount to what their contracts say the
minimum they are allowed to sell at :laughing7:

at least that is how it appears to me

Yeah, I figured they'd knock a little off, but that's a chunk! They must not have so much confidence in that initial offering price.

I would love one, but even the discount price is light years out of my budget.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as much as I like & Respect Minelab,
I do believe their pricing leaves allot of questions on their greed .
I'm not going to do the math but that pretty much tells me they want
a half a pound of gold from everyone who uses one.

yes it limits how many are out there,
but it also limits their sales.

and invites China to make allot of money on fakes they can produce for under a hundred dollars. if they ever get the circuitry right ... look out !

the upside the companies apparent profit potential
keeps them on the top of the list of detector companies
coming up with New & improved detectors :thumbsup:

Jeff...
China... you can almost guarantee that one happening...
And the scary thing is...
It wont take them long to do it either...
Beings THEY make all the components, circuits, capacitors, diodes, boards, batteries, plastics etc etc... whatever ...
And not too mention that they have a GREAT knowledge of electronics in general...
and can prototype pretty much anything short of a space rocket within 2 weeks. heh

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
If I was finding nuggets in the Australian gold fields.. I wouldn't think twice about ordering one!
I have read where many were using the Sovereign GT because of the price?

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with 9. 3 inchs extra in the desert makes it a game changer.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't give you 25 cents For in lab detector when the cable shooting fell off my $1200 Excalibur and they wouldn't replace it and they even admitted it wasn't the right cable where the coil great company they said I should not have left it out in the Sun oh ok underwater metal detector that you can't use in the Sun great. Thanks minelub
Well most know that Minelab's service is not the best around..

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quote Originally Posted by Limitool View Post

Not me

Nobody does my digging :unhappysmiley:

the first second of being the first to see that find in my hand, Good or bad

makes it all worth while

Well Jeff... I totally understand your point but I only dig up horseshoes. So the excitement is just not there. When the machine shows that large negative number and then shows 8-9" down having a "digger" is a nice option. FYI: I do do all the digging!!!!! Hell I only get excited when the machine shows a positive number.... ANY POSTIVE NUMBER!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tad pricey for something that goes "beep". Maybe if it comes with a backhoe, and a lifetime guarantee for free repair no matter the cause of damage, like bouncing it off the ground when you dig down 6ft and find a gold color tin can.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7000 is designed for gold hunters, if your in the gold fields where nice nuggets are found you can get your money back...

Way too much money for hunting beaches for gold jewelry for me ...

Last edited:

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was finding nuggets in the Australian gold fields.. I wouldn't think twice about ordering one!
I have read where many were using the Sovereign GT because of the price?

I agree.

I couldn't find many reviews on it yet, some were from Australia, there are also a couple of videos on YT.

While the price is obscene this is no ordinary detector, the target audience is for those prospecting areas that produce fair amounts of gold.

Arizona and California have produced some fairly large nuggets, maybe nothing like Australia, but big enough to profit on.

This machine detects gold several feet deep, and the gold gets better the deeper you go, if I prospected for a living I would buy it.

I don't care if a tool cost $100,000.00 if I can make $300,000.00 with it then it was worth every penny.

Once a few people pull a few honkers from over two feet deep with this thing... there will be a line at Minelab's door! :laughing7:

5.7 grams in under 3 hours with the GPZ 7000 in a patch already hunted out with a 4500.

1/5 of a gram nugget found at 14 inches.

And here are a bunch more videos of the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gpz+7000+minelab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread