The 2 Old Cellar Holes - Gave up more Coins - Plus SNOW!!!!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ?To make a long story short, Walking out the door this morning at 7:00 am there was a very light rain so off I went to meet Tim and Jeff and the old cellar holes . The ride is about a hour so after about 50 minutes I noticed some snow starting to fall and when arriving at the site The snow was coming down nice and steady ..This was a surprise ,since it was just going to rain today..Tim and Jeff were in the woods when I got there so in I went .The woods were? not? bad the snow was a little less with the trees around... When I ran into tim he already found a large cent .We could not see a date so we kept on digging...With the ground nice and wet from the rain and snow we had this winter? the signals would be a little different from the Dry ground we hunted all this year at this site...My plan was to dig those deep low tone signals.? ?After about 10 minutes I got a nice low consistant tone and after digging down about 7 inches out popped a silver Half real,cleaning it off I could see the markings on one side.? With Tim walking over we decided to take a Hot coffee Break and have a? few left overs from Christmas ...With a large cent a couple of buttons and a silver piece we started detecting again and by the time we finished we had found? 3 coins, 12 Buttons, 1 Jews harp, 1 thimble, and a few other Relics.? So we had a nice time hunting and the snow was on and off for the 5 hours we were there so mabe with the temperature going back into the 40's this week we might be able to get out again this year...So keep on digging no matter what the weather is like!!!!!!!! :)? ? Seeker

Attachments

• Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 021 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 021 Medium Web view.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 807
  • Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 018 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 018 Medium Web view.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 817
  • Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 013 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 013 Medium Web view.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 813
  • Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 017 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 017 Medium Web view.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 825
  • Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 025 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 025 Medium Web view.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 805
Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
little snow dont hurt anyone, nice finds there,

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
A bit snowy out there today ;D , but good day for finds. could only read the one cent on the back of the 2 large cents I found. both were down about 8 inches. a lot of the large cents at this site are ruff because of the acidic soil from all the pines. :( the button was about 7 inches down.
It was fun to get out again. Didn't really think I would with the weather here in NY.

TimmyNY

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Is that Jim in the picture? Did Jim go with you guys or did you forget to call him again?

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Ya John and and Tim we must be die hards. Great day all in all even though I only found piece of harmonica..........I NEED A MINE LAB!!!!!!!!!!!
My Whites has served me well but deep signals are giving me alot of trouble even with the gain at 13 to 14
Congrads to you both, had fun even if I stuck out.
Jeff

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Seeker!

Wow! What some awesome finds! Isn't it amazing the lengths one will go to for fun! ;D I can't believe you guys hunted in the snow! 8) But.....looks like it was well worth it! Congrats on those really awesome finds! :o

WoW

;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's dedication.? And it payed off.? Congratulations on the silver, Seeker.

What do you mean a nice low consistant tone?? Do you mean it read as iron?? A low VDI number??

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter1805 said:
Is that Jim in the picture? Did Jim go with you guys or did you forget to call him again?
When I talked to Jim on Friday,You were going detecting with Jim.So we thought you were out detecting with Jim today!!! ;D

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Real nice seeker. You guys are die hard hunters like I am. I would have made the trip. Some great old history in New York. Here in P.a were I am at is old also. These types of places still do exist and it takes some know how to make it all happen.

Nice site and good luck in the future.

HH Jer

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY SEEKER!!... nice find's,anything on the thimble,writing?....anyway congrat's on the DAYTONA ticket's :'(

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haupin said:
What do you mean a nice low consistant tone?? Do you mean it read as iron?? A low VIDI number??

Good question haupin....I was wondering the same thing.... ;D

;)

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haupin said:
Now that's dedication.? And it payed off.? Congratulations on the silver, Seeker.

What do you mean a nice low consistant tone?? Do you mean it read as iron?? A low VIDI number??
Thanks for asking the question...The good deep targets which I planned on digging at this site give off a very low constant tone .With the Minelab The tones are different for items like small silver coins,very small Buttons,etc Plus you have to watch how much descrimination your using at old sites ,over time you can tell when something is worth digging or not. Coins or buttons laying on top or just a few inches below the ground ring up higher than they would at 8 to 10 inches. Depending on the detector your swinging most machines react different to the targets their over.....Hope this helps!!!! Remember just because it's a low tone dos'nt mean it Iron!!!! ;)

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the pic of the Relics cleaned .the Gold Button is an Imperial Standard gold Gillt, thimble has no markings, Silver is a half real with minimal markings,2 small flower buttons , teh other buttons are flat with faded markings ,enjoy!!! Seeker

Attachments

• Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 022 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 022 Medium Web view.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 612

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! :o Crappy weather,you are hard core!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice relics and congrats on the silver Reale! Can you read a date? Thanks for posting and sharing the nice finds. I stop detecting when the ground freezes, no sense in punishing myself or my epuipment, LOL! HH, Mike

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
I thought the swamp land that I wade through was bad, but you Guys have got me beat. Some real nice finds, but I don't think I could handle the Snow. Best of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt... :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions