0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dieselram94 said:
Not to change the subject but what do you think of Oppenheimer funds? Maybe start a new thread?

I think there is a stock / investment forum that's not used too often that I can hang out at for questions. Obviously all answers my own opinion.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bevo,

May very well be true but unfortunately North America is not immune to the same meltdown....Canada has a federal deficit to the tune of 500/600 billion and a couple of our provinces are getting close to the tipping point debt versus revenues....

To gross it up X10 you'd be looking at 5/6 trillion for comparison purposes population wise for the US versus the actual amount which is around 16 trillion I believe and a couple of the states including California are already virtually bankrupt...

It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for either of our countries.....

After the 2nd World War they had the Bretton Woods agreement where the major countries agreed to have a limited amount of currency based on what could be backed by the gold they had in reserve.....printing unlimited paper fiat money merely kicks the problem/issue down the road and doesn't solve the underlying problems.

If you, me or our governments make $1 and spends $1.20 year after year the whole house of cards comes tumbling down at some point in time.....or the value/purchasing power of those fiat dollars get devalued by the market place.....kind of economics 101....IMHO.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thats why we dont want America to mimic europe.Its a pretty shaky deal,to say the least.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I will be right there!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diesel,

Heck I don't need meds.....I get a natural high just hanging out on this forum.....lol....
I'll post up a tune for you shortly got to check my play list....

Bill, the European model just doesn't work. Especially in America. Just how do you like your socialized medicine anyways?

Last edited:

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Bill,I agree,its time like these that we have to be especially vigilant.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can believe what you want but it's just not a historical fact. I know everyone wants to make the world revolve around gun issues but that's just not reality folks. Not looking for anyone to say they are wrong (I have a feeling there are many here who havnt uttered that phrase in a while). But can we please not completely massacre us history. Learn our past and be proud of it. We don't need to rewrite history to try and make a point.

The original author if the article is making the complete incorrect comparison between the British securing a cache of weapons and the current gun debate. The rev was not about taking individuals guns it was absolutely not a guns rights issue. This is what I have the big problem with because it is not only incorrect but is a lie to try and sway people who don't know any better. If citizens don't know their own history they will believe crap like this.

What part of "it is what ignited the war" do you have trouble understanding? You can have all the tender you want, but you want get a fire till it is ignited,. the tender was the long list of grievances, the attempt to confiscate the musket arsenals is what ignited the tender and stated the war.........

I never said The war was over the attempted seizing of the muskets, I said it is what ignited the war, go back and read what I wrote...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bevo,

I'm going by memory on this so you may have to look it up.....but if memory serves me correctly it was during the Nixon/Vietnam era that the US gave up the gold standard to print unlimited dollars to fund the war effort....most if not all developed countries followed suit later on......and that's what turned the whole financial system into a house of cards to some extent.

Hope this background info is of some help.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill,I agree,its time like these that we have to be especially vigilant.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bill from lachine said:
Bevo,

I'm going by memory on this so you may have to look it up.....but if memory serves me correctly it was during the Nixon/Vietnam era that the US gave up the gold standard to print unlimited dollars to fund the war effort....most if not all developed countries followed suit later on......and that's what turned the whole financial system into a house of cards to some extent.

Hope this background info is of some help.

Regards + HH

Bill

On 15 August 1971, the United States unilaterally terminated convertibility of the US$ to gold. This brought the Bretton Woods system to an end and saw the dollar become fiat currency.[1] This action, referred to as the Nixon shock, created the situation in which the United States dollar became a reserve currency used by many states. At the same time, many fixed currencies (such as GBP, for example), also became free floating.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and then the british came to south carolina and the swamp fox wiped them out and we all lived happily ever after. the end

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would the Brits want to capture the large cache of powder? Because it could be used against them, that's why. You cannot control a well-armed citizenry. Why would the colonists protect it so fervently? Because that was an important part of their self preservation and a means to ensure their independence. Without guns they were merely subjects of the Crown again and should have just stayed in England. The "No taxation without representation" was a statement meant to represent everything the colonists were ready to protect; their OWN independence from the Crown and they knew it would require arms to preserve it. The Brits knew they had to disarm them first and thought the colonists would simply give up the arms. Surprise! I hear "Schoolhouse Rock" playing in the background, not banjos.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stockpicker,

Thanks for the background info....I figured you'd jump in with the info.

Regards + HH

Bill

On 15 August 1971, the United States unilaterally terminated convertibility of the US$ to gold. This brought the Bretton Woods system to an end and saw the dollar become fiat currency.[1] This action, referred to as the Nixon shock, created the situation in which the United States dollar became a reserve currency used by many states. At the same time, many fixed currencies (such as GBP, for example), also became free floating.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
packerbacker said:
Why would the Brits want to capture the large cache of powder? Because it could be used against them, that's why. You cannot control a well-armed citizenry. Why would the colonists protect it so fervently? Because that was an important part of their self preservation and a means to ensure their independence. Without guns they were merely subjects of the Crown again and should have just stayed in England. The "No taxation without representation" was a statement meant to represent everything the colonists were ready to protect; their OWN independence from the Crown and they knew it would require arms to preserve it. The Brits knew they had to disarm them first and thought the colonists would simply give up the arms. Surprise! I hear "Schoolhouse Rock" playing in the background, not banjos.

Just not that simple. The rev war was not the brits against the colonists. Most historians believe that no more than a quarter to a third of the colonial population supported separation from GB. And far far fewer were actually willing to take up arms. A like amount were loyalists to the crown - though you tend not to read that in the history books. It's much easier to portray an us vs them scenario. The southern states in particular were extremely pro British given their trading interests. In the end the Brits were fighting a guerrilla force until the continental army was fielded. That's why they went after the cache. Because they knew it was a store for the rebs. They never went door to door taking away people guns. Guys, history is always a lot more complex than the sound bites your taught in school (and definitely a lot less biased).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Just not that simple. The rev war was not the brits against the colonists. Most historians believe that no more than a quarter to a third of the colonial population supported separation from GB. And far far fewer were actually willing to take up arms. A like amount were loyalists to the crown - though you tend not to read that in the history books. It's much easier to portray an us vs them scenario. The southern states in particular were extremely pro British given their trading interests. In the end the Brits were fighting a guerrilla force until the continental army was fielded. That's why they went after the cache. Because they knew it was a store for the rebs. They never went door to door taking away people guns. Guys, history is always a lot more complex than the sound bites your taught in school (and definitely a lot less biased).

It explains Brit support of CSA during the CONFEDERATE WAR (aka Civil War... which was NOT civil...).

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stockpicker,

And a lot of the US loyalists emigrated just north of the Canadian border during that era mostly to southern Quebec and Ontario......just a bit of added history.....one of the reasons we tend to call our US neighbors cousins....lots of the same bloodlines shared by both countries.

Regards + HH

Bill

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Rebel,

The Tea Party got its name because of its strong anti-tax stance. It is a party that believes in a strict adherence to the United States Constitution, reduction of our national debt, reduction of government spending, and taxes...

(Free history lesson) Here is a time line for you Rebel of the events leading up to the American Revoultion.....

Major Events That Led to the American Revolution

The road to revolution built slowly over time. Many events fed the growing desire of the thirteen colonies for independence. Following are the major events that led to the Revolution.
  • 1754-1763 - French and Indian War
    This war between Britain and France ended with the victorious British deeply in debt and demanding more revenue from the colonies. With the defeat of the French, the colonies became less dependent on Britain for protection.
  • 1763 - Proclamation of 1763
    This prohibited settlement beyond the Appalachian Mountains. While Britain did not intend to harm the colonists, many colonists took offense at this order.
  • 1764 - Sugar Act
    This act raised revenue by increasing duties on sugar imported from the West Indies.
  • 1764 - Currency Act
    Parliament argued that colonial currency had caused a devaluation harmful to British trade. They banned American assemblies from issuing paper bills or bills of credit.
  • 1764 - Committees of Correspondence
    Organized by Samuel Adams, these helped spread propaganda and information through letters.
  • 1765 - Quartering Act
    Britain ordered that colonists were to house and feed British soldiers if necessary.
  • 1765 - Stamp Act
    This required tax stamps on many items and documents including playing cards, newspapers, and marriage licenses. Prime Minister George Grenville stated that this direct tax was intended for the colonies to pay for defense. Previous taxes imposed by Britain had been indirect, or hidden.
    • 1765 - Stamp Act Congress
      In 1765, 27 delegates from nine colonies met in New York City and drew up a statement of rights and grievances thereby bringing colonies together in opposition to Britain.
    • 1765 - Sons and Daughters of Liberty
      Colonists tried to fight back by imposing non-importation agreements. The Sons of Liberty often took the law into their own hands enforcing these 'agreements' by methods such as tar and feathering.
  • 1767 - Townshend Acts
    These taxes were imposed to help make the colonial officials independent of the colonists and included duties on glass, paper, and tea. Smugglers increased their activities to avoid the tax leading to more troops in Boston.
  • 1770 -Boston Massacre
    The colonists and British soldiers openly clashed in Boston. This event was used as an example of British cruelty despite questions about how it actually occurred.
  • 1773 - Tea Act
    To assist the failing British East India Company, the Company was given a monopoly to trade tea in America.
    • 1773 - Boston Tea Party
      A group of colonists disguised as Indians dumped tea overboard from three ships in Boston Harbor.
  • 1774 - Intolerable Acts
    These were passed in response to the Boston Tea Party and placed restrictions on the colonists including outlawing town meetings and the closing of Boston Harbor.
  • 1774 - First Continental Congress
    In response to the Intolerable Acts, 12 of the 13 colonies met in Philadelphia from September-October, 1774. One of the main results of this was the creation of The Association calling for a boycott of British goods.
  • 1775 - Lexington and Concord
    In April, British troops were ordered to Lexington and Concord to seize stores of colonial gunpowder and to capture Samuel Adams and John Hancock. At Lexington, open conflict occurred and eight Americans were killed. At Concord, the British troops were forced to retreat with the loss of 70 men. This was the first instance of open warfare.
  • 1775 - Second Continental Congress
    All 13 colonies were represented at this meeting in Philadelphia beginning May. The colonists still hoped that their grievances would be met by King George III. George Washington was named head of the Continental Army.
  • 1775 - Bunker Hill
    This major victory for the Colonists resulted in George III proclaiming the colonies in rebellion.
In the end, the American Revolution grew out of increasing restrictions placed upon the colonies by the British.

It was the attempt to disarm the colonist that ignited the Revolution after a long list of greivences, the Boston Tea Party was but one on the instances....

Nice Read, I love your avatar man.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Youre close stockpicker,in concord there were alot of arms and supply caches.They did go door to door searching for them.But the redcoats were very naive and did a very poor job searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread