the ATV trails produce again!!! Thanks also to Danimal...ACE 250 technique!!

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Went back to my trails again this Saturday with my son. First we started sifting at a trash site that Earthworks helped me find...thanks Gary! When he was hunting my site a few weeks ago he dug up an old bottle and some pottery shards. I went back to this same section and found more shards of pottery and glass using the sifter that Bluezman was kind enough to make and give to me....thanks Charlie!
Anyway while sifting I noticed that there was also ash in the hole so I figured this was definately one of the trash sites. I also found in my sifter and ornamental object that is shaped like a flower or something. You will see it in the picture on the left.
After an hour or so of sifting I figured I would do a little detecting. Now is where I have to really thank Danimal for his technique. Some of you maybe have tried this but I heard about it from him and have been bugging him with questions to fully understand it and I treid it for the first time and it worked great. Now I have the Ace 250 as you all probably know and what he told me that he does is that he detects with the pinpoint button pushed in all the time. What this does is kinda like scanning the ground for anything metal. WHat happens is that when I swing my coil in the normal way is that it will give me a signal that there is something under my coil if I pass the coil over the object, kinda like this crude drawing:

(.)
now the parentheses (however you spell them) is the coil and the period is the object, say a coin. Now when swinging normal I would get that nice belltone when I swing over this coin. Now take a look at this crude drawing:

() .
notice how the coin (period) is not under my coil? Well this is how this technique works. When swinging with the pinpoint button pushed in the bars for pinpoint will increase as your coil gets closer to the object. You can "zoom" in to where the object is by moving closer to the object and when the bars are at maximum you are right over it. Then you release the pinpoint button and swing normally to get an ID of what it is. The beauty of this technique is that you don;t have to be swinging over the object but be near it and the pinpoint bars will increase showing you something is close to you.
SO now I try this method at my ATV trails and go up where I found 4 or 5 flat buttons and the 1811 large cent. The ground has dried and now I can detect the actual ruts that the atv's dug into it. They have been really muddy in the past. SO I am using this technique and I notice the pinpoint bars increase a little and get my coil over the object. If I was just going in a straight line I would have not found this item, but since holding the pinpoint button down, the detector was telling me something was close by and all I had to do was zero in to it. When I got over the target I released the pinpointer button and swung normally and got a good signal of penny/dime. I started digging and out popped a nice copper coin which turned out to be another large cent! This one the date is unknown but by looking at the shape of Liberty's head I can safely say it is the classic head design from 1808-1814!
Now I stated doing the techniques somemore and zeroed in on another signal. This one I swung normally over and got nothing on target ID. I re-checked in pinpoint mode and sure enough I was over the object. Started digging and re-checking and using the pinpointer I got it out...another flat button! This one is a small one as you can see by the pic. According to information I have...thanks Mountainman 2....it is a type that was manufactured from 1800-1830. The best thing about this technique is that if I was swinging normally, I would not have found this falt button at all because the detector did not register it...even in all metal mode, but because I had pinpoint pushed in I got right over it and found it.

Anyway sorry for the long post but wanted to give you all an idea of this technique and how it helped me this past Saturday. I'm sure this technique would work with other detectors that have pinpoint. Worth a try.

Happy Hunting to all!

Funkman

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1,020
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread