Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be except for the salt beaches. If you stay in the dry sand your okay, but it being a single freq. it may false a lot in the wet. A Sand Shark would handle all these locations but has hardly any Disc.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand a is right. Best all around would be the Vaquero, would perform well in all scenarios except wet sand.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's my understanding the main problem is (saltwater) wet sand?
luvsdux

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well where the wet sand shoreline and towards the water may get some fals8ng when bumping the coil on the wet sand.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hands down.....the Vaquero, and if you back the sense. off a little and keep the coil from bumping it does ok in the wet sand. Better than my AT pro....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding the main problem is (saltwater) wet sand?
luvsdux

It's not just the wet salt water sand but there is Black Sand. Also the concentration of both can vary on the same beach. A recent rain can upset the balance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"IF" you must include a saltwater beach, then it has to be a Cibola, not the Vaquero.

Attachments

• IMG-20121028-00160.jpg
    IMG-20121028-00160.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 187

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never tried any Tesoros except the Shark on the beach. Why does the fixed gb do better than the Vaquero I wonder?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious about this too.....tell us Terry???

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tested all of my Tesoro VLF machines on saltwater beach wet sand - Compadre; Silver uMax; Cibola; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq: Tejon: and Tiger Shark. The Cibola out performed all the other machines with MUCH less falsing, and very accurate pinpointing of dime-sized targets to 7+ inches. I have hit quarters and silver rings at 9" with the stock coil in damp saltwater sand. FYI - I still prefer my Sand Shark in the wet saltwater environment. It has better depth, and I can wash all of the salt off the coil and control box.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only own one, so it's the best for me.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My modded Cibola is super special.

tabman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tested all of my Tesoro VLF machines on saltwater beach wet sand - Compadre; Silver uMax; Cibola; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq: Tejon: and Tiger Shark. The Cibola out performed all the other machines with MUCH less falsing, and very accurate pinpointing of dime-sized targets to 7+ inches. I have hit quarters and silver rings at 9" with the stock coil in damp saltwater sand. FYI - I still prefer my Sand Shark in the wet saltwater environment. It has better depth, and I can wash all of the salt off the coil and control box.

I find this view interesting. So Terry, does the Cibola equal or best the Vaquero in Parks with trash, or woods? If it does better in wet salt, you'd think it did better in dry dirt as well.

Almost every video and comment I have read on the Vaquero has me believing that it is one of the top five detectors ever made under $1000. And it has impressed me on many occasions.

They are both Delta family, so you'd think the V could duplicate the C settings. Not arguing, just trying to get a concept. Been thinking about getting a Tesoro. May just get a Silver.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my soil here in Colorado I tested both the Vaquero and Cibola head to head on the same in ground targets a couple of times in different scenarios and the Vaquero out performed it every time. That being said if you are not good at self ground balancing than I could see how the Cibola would out perform the Vaquero. Tesoro is very good at setting the ground balance for most occasions. I have a compadre that gets a good 5 to 6 inches on coins in my soil.

OP
OP
Oyvind Pedersen

Oyvind Pedersen

Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro vaquero. Previous: minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the vaq today w/11x8 coil and what a quality feel to it!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the vaq today w/11x8 coil and what a quality feel to it!

It just amazes me that something so compact and light works so well at finding deep targets using a single 9 volt battery. Enjoy!

tabman

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Cibola at the beach best if going in the wet sand or water. Good on dry sand too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread