The Big Rebel Mine

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The location of the Big Rebel claim of Waltz/Backens/Smith can never be known for certain, but Waltz was unknown until early 1900's and the Big Rebel was a continuous claim until Jim Callen (son of Grizzly Callen) filed for the patent. The BR and Red Buck are on the same NE fault line which runs for 1.5 miles with the BR as the most mineralized. The BR stayed in the Callen family line for 100+ years until I bought the property.

Your claim must be the Silver Crown (Queen)?

Silver queen in the Big Bug district? No. Thats the area I was referring to.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked you nicely as a heads up. I'm not the one being an a$$ here.

The problem with the internet is that there is no tone or inflection. Your post seemed like a warning to me to stay off claims in the area. If that was the case, I was going to tell you to pound sand.

If you intended it strictly as a caution, then I apologize. Like I said, my back gets up quick when people attempt to order me around (unless they have the authority to do so).

Sreamlinegold,

There is no active mining claim at McCabe. The property is owned by Broken Hill Properties and is used for wildlife habitat and cattle grazing. There are no plans to reopen either McCabe or McCabe-Gladstone Mines. Rockhounding is allowed.

I know of several places open to claim in the area. BLM has gotten very ahole-ish about yanking claims in the last ten or so years. I'll give you a hint about one. Near Rose Creek is a set of old claims a good buddy of mine has been friends with the owner for fifty years. The area looked to me to be very interesting. My buddy and I got in an argument about the claims' status. He called his friend that said he had to give up the claims several years ago. They were no longer active. Think about it. Unclaimed area with about six tributaries into Rose Creek! Not private land and open to claims. The previous owner of the Mayer Gravel Pit told me that the little valley behind the pit held untold millions in gold. They used to process all the dirt and gravel from that pit and they got LOADS of gold. They had some kid that used to come in and sell it to Pat at A&B.

Kevin was a very interesting guy. Everything coming out of the Union had to be crushed very fine to get the super fine gold. My buddy and I were the ones that talked him into getting the Goldwell Vortex Sluice.

I am not a miner. I am a treasure hunter. I know about mining and prospecting because I wanted to know what the Spanish were looking for when they came through Arizona and California. I hunt lost/hidden mines (mostly Superstitions). There are a few old Spanish Mines that have active claims currently. There are even a few legitimate lost mines in the area:

lostmine1.jpg

I don't join the GPAA because 99% of their claims are crap. Same with LDMA, and I don't get excited about spending the day digging dirt for gas money. Roadrunners have some decent claims and Big Bug is always getting replenished. I know people from every mining group around.

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, i know where all of Kevins claims were/are. I never got a chance to meet him to pick his brain a bit before he passed away. My distant cousin owns a patent right next to Jessie.. also looking at getting some more private land in the area. Dewey is prob my close second favorite place to mine. Union mine at one point was patented then let go with a land swap and was part of lil Jessie.

I see a lot of people posting up pics and videos inside patents..not saying you are doing this. But to me thats like someone exploring your back yard, or garage...

A friend took me up to see the Rebel. No posting. No fence. Just a safety fence around the pit (that had completely fallen down). Took pics and left. If a claim is patented or is private land, and the owner doesn't want anybody on it, then it should be posted. Like I said, I won't cross, push down, or cut a fence that is posted private property. If I plan to prospect some place, I use LR2000 and Minecache. If its active, then I don't have anything that could even be thought of as mining/prospecting equipment. Just camera.

Mike

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McCabe is still all private land, its owned by Big Big gold and Gravel. Im aware that BHP
Had reclaimed it all they were under contract for the cleanup...but BHP does not own it. BBGG does.

Most of the lode gold around there like you said is very fine..I am a lode miner thats all I do. The McCabe vein was the highest grade in that district, if you look at the averages they did very good over the life of that mine. However, Finding specimens will be very few n far between around there. Its the kind of ore it is, doesn’t lend itself to specimens.

I know a few secrets about that area too:)

Be careful of the arsenopyrite..its very concentrated in a few of them..looks like dull stinky pyrite. Nasty stuff and deadly

Last edited:

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel is one I wouldnt mind owning actually..aside from the water table being so high

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in other words no microwave?:icon_scratch:

NEVER! Just like alligator tail. The only way to really cook it is long time stew in a marinara sauce! Otherwise like chewing an inner-tube.

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol..i think i'll stick with a burger from culvers

I don't know why all the love for Culver's. Its a good burger, but I don't think its worth all the money. I'll stick with Blue Hills Cafe Burgers, and any sandwich from The Mayer Market!

Mike

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I don't know why all the love for Culver's. Its a good burger, but I don't think its worth all the money. I'll stick with Blue Hills Cafe Burgers, and any sandwich from The Mayer Market!

Mike
mike...culvers is cheap if you get the snack pak meal..6 bucks for bacon burger..fries and drink

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike...culvers is cheap if you get the snack pak meal..6 bucks for bacon burger..fries and drink

Do you know how small their single burger is? About the right size for a young child! Have you ever met me? HAHAHA I'm 6'4" and 285 pounds. I don't eat a single ANYTHING! The Double Bacon "VALUE" Basket is about $10.

Mike

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how small their single burger is? About the right size for a young child! Have you ever met me? HAHAHA I'm 6'4" and 285 pounds. I don't eat a single ANYTHING! The Double Bacon "VALUE" Basket is about $10.

Mike

Last time I seen you, it looked like you'd had a V-dub-Beetle for dinner .

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I seen you, it looked like you'd had a V-dub-Beetle for dinner .

LOL Yeah, I was up to about 325-335. I don't know what happened. I moved from L.A. to Az, and I was about 235-240. A year later, I was 320! I didn't eat any more or exercise any less. Still can't explain it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions