The CaneBandits hit Spanish Silver, Seated Silvers, and Civil War!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shangalang, Diggergirl, and I all happened to get a day off this week, so as normally happens during a massive planetary alignment like this we did the only thing we could think to do--go digging! Here's the video:

We got out in the sugarcane fields at dawn, and were greeted by a beautiful sunrise

184_1106.JPG

No sooner had I stepped into the field than I dug a Spanish Silver! 1807 half real!! I was ecstatic to add another colonial coin to the list for this year!

HR in dirt.JPG HR in hand.JPG

Then within literally ten minutes of finding the picayune, DG calls me over to see what she's found. It was a GORGEOUS 1857 Seated Half Dime! :hello2:

1857 HD in hand.JPG

So we get back at it, rounding up a few musketballs, suspender clips, etc. I dug a nice Maynard Carbine variant (Civil War). No sign of the casing, but the only thing that survives in our plowed fields is usually the end of the casing with its tiny hole in the center. I was very happy to have another one of these not-so-common bullets in my collection, especially a nice dropped example.

maynard in hand.JPG

Then I get an insistent double beep and the numbers aren't locking on. Raising the coil, I got 62 on my F75, locking right in. Expecting a pack rivet, I grabbed a handful of dirt and saw the flash of silver again! This time it was an 1849 Half Dime!!

1849 in dirt.JPG 1849 in hand.JPG

At this point, the finds start to thin out, and we're aware we're walking out of this small site. So I double back in and on the way back across the field dig a nice condition shield nickel to finish off the day:

shield in hand.JPG

Ended up being a nice haul for a short hunt. It had started to get unbearably hot, so we decided to call it a day.

all finds dirty.JPG

There were several surprises when I got home and my wife (DG) and I cleaned what we'd dug. She got a weird item. Any ideas?

weird bracelet thingy.JPG

As I was cleaning the random brass, I saw a small bended piece that looked like it had two prongs sticking out of it. When I carefully unbent it, it turned out to be the face of a sportsman's button!

sportsman button.JPG

As I dry toothpicked what I thought was a normal flat button, I could see a bit of a design. It was a leaping stag. This is one of my favorite civilian buttons I've ever dug.

deer button.JPG

And of course, here are the coins and other finds:

shield obv.JPG shield rev.JPG maynard carbine.JPG

1849 HD obv.JPG 1849 HD rev.JPG

HR obv.JPG HR rev.JPG

And I've gotta compliment DG on her recovery of such a beautiful Seated:

1857 HD obv.JPG

Here are the combined finds (His and Hers LOL):

my finds.JPG DG finds.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits :D

Last edited:
Upvote 29
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just knew it was only a matter time before you would show up here with a spanish...looks like you guys/gal had a blast! congrats

Was a lot of fun and so glad to get a couple Spanish in the total for this year!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a haul of coins you guys recovered. Glad to see you're out digging and starting the fall season off on a high note. I wish I could say the same. Yesterday I was told I could not come back to a site that had the potential to be one of my most productive ever as I had located at least 4 colonial era house sites in this large field. Only got to hunt it for a 1/2 day last spring and the relics and coins were everywhere. And after finding out that bad news I returned to an old site where I had recovered a pile of colonial relics over the last 2 years, and in 2.5 hours did not find one keeper. Gonna be a long season for me .....

Thats horrible! We have all been there my friend. It would be devastating for any of our farmers who own good sites to pull out down here but so far so good on the 45,000 acres. We are losing a very good site to a housing development and that makes me sick.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the stag button, too...also love seeing those bright white glass shirt buttons beaming up from the dirt

No kidding. It's great to eyeball cool stuff in the dirt.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had a feeling your next video would be some very nice finds. Great job. Love those half-dimes and the Spanish silver is awesome.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime I see a new post from the bandits, I know I will be looking for the :notworthy: emogi.

Others at my disposal...:occasion14::headbang::smileinbox:....and for good measure...:3some:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime I see a new post from the bandits, I know I will be looking for the :notworthy: emogi.

Others at my disposal...:occasion14::headbang::smileinbox:....and for good measure...:3some:

Hahaha, thanks, Dave!

Cheers,

Buck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is great to see the three of you all getting back out and shooting the videos. As always you all found some really nice finds. I am betting the half dimes turn into Spanish before it is over. The field looked good and ripe.
Hope you all have the best of seasons!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread