The Captain strikes again!!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice haul for the weekend starting with an early 19th century solid copper Swedish tea kettle for $2.00. At the same yard sale I also picked up these sterling s&p shakers for a whopping whole $1.00. They're crusty so if they don't clean up well I'll just put them in my scrap pile. At a local field auction yesterday, I bought a box lot with a few silver plated items and some old kitchen knives. But....... In the box was a beautiful Speer & Cosper coin silver serving spoon from Chicago circa 1852!! 1.75 ozt. All for $5.00 hammer price! I collect coin silver so I knew it was in there!! No gold but still a fun weekend!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439836154.938417.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439836201.993128.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439836234.244228.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439836259.137814.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439836289.883738.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and a belated welcome to Treasurenet. Silver for pennies on the ounce is always good! I don't know a thing about antique tea kettles. I took a quick look and noticed many of them are shined up like new from dealer sites as well as on eBay. I guess patina doesn't play a part in these particular antiques?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave the tea kettle as is. Shiny is nice but does not show the true vintage age of the item. I always list that an item can be cleaned in a few minutes but takes years to get the aged look. Up to you of course.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave the tea kettle as is. Shiny is nice but does not show the true vintage age of the item. I always list that an item can be cleaned in a few minutes but takes years to get the aged look. Up to you of course.
I agree, original patina is great. I was just wondering because if you search for antique copper teakettles you will see that many of them are shiny as a new penny. Thought maybe there was an exception to the rule with teakettles or something.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I would leave as is too.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have read, if they're used for cooking of some sorts it's ok to polish them. I love the look of polished copper but I think I'm more of a purist and I'll keep the aged look. I agree, it takes years for that to happen. Thanks for your thoughts!!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tea pot. I like the patina as-is too. But I'm trying to figure out how a person would know that spoon was coin silver. I always look for "Sterling" or "925" and I've seen the word "coin" stamped on a few things. What would I or anyone else look for besides the word "coin"? Thanks!

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... Here's a quick lesson on coin silver while I'm on my lunch break. Coin silver is generally 85-90% silver. Not much less than sterling so it's definitely worthy of owning. If something is marked "coin", then it's coin silver. Not all coin silver is marked "coin" though. A majority of my collection is not marked coin. Many pieces just have a makers name and sometimes a city as well. This is also the difference of plated items which have their own markings as well. A lot of early coin pieces are considered early American silver as the purity sometimes varied back then before we had a solid source of silver and adopted the "sterling" standard. Many coin spoons are also on the thin side, but there are heavier pieces. Sorry for getting long winded!!

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a quick phot example of coin markings. Before I polished them!! This was a lot I picked up at a local auction a couple months ago. $70.00 for all!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439921926.357086.jpg .

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... Here's a quick lesson on coin silver while I'm on my lunch break. Coin silver is generally 85-90% silver. Not much less than sterling so it's definitely worthy of owning. If something is marked "coin", then it's coin silver. Not all coin silver is marked "coin" though. A majority of my collection is not marked coin. Many pieces just have a makers name and sometimes a city as well. This is also the difference of plated items which have their own markings as well. A lot of early coin pieces are considered early American silver as the purity sometimes varied back then before we had a solid source of silver and adopted the "sterling" standard. Many coin spoons are also on the thin side, but there are heavier pieces. Sorry for getting long winded!!

Thank you! I know I'll but many that are not silver before I figure it out. If the price is right it's worth learning. Thanks for your info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread