The cat bought a few buttons?

JohnMajor

Nov 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my first outing planned for Sunday, IF it doesn't rain. Then a couple more weeks and then a CW dig. I have given away or donated to museums most of my collection, but occasionally go a little berserk and buy something. These two buttons I got this week:
This is a standard pre war Georgia state seal button. It has the Mintzer backmark and is 100% gorgeous. I couldn't resist it!
Now this button is beyond something else. It's the first I have ever seen no less! I had a hard time with a proper ID and time frame, but was eventually victorious! It's a just pre Civil War Louisiana Pelican Guards button. From the seller I got some information, and did double check the info. It was a small independent LA militia company, never more than 150 men strong. The back is the key to dating it. It was not certain before 2001 or so whether it was CW or later. The maker, Trelon, Weldon & Weill was in business 1814 to 1865. They then merged with another company and added the Initials "H" and "M" to the back in place of the anchor and bomb. They finally went out of business in 1902 according to McGuinn and Bazelon in their book on backmarks. 2001 is when they published the edition I have. I love research and buttons. I'd rather have a button than a coin any day. I'm trying to get a couple more from my friend who has several. We did a trade and these two were in the trade.https://9apps.ooo/

Last edited:
May 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by JohnMajor

I enjoy buttons and research to
do my college homework on treasure hunting too. Describing my collection and how I sometimes go really uncontrollable and buy everything I wish.
It was a Civil War Louisiana Pelican Guards button.

Hi,

Curious about the pre Civil War Louisiana Pelican Guards button. Do you have a photo, by any chance?
There was a discussion, if I'm not mistaken, years ago here on the forum, about this backmark (The CannonBallGuy). And I made some notes in my book back then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread