The central coast bank robbers

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
I watched the FBI files and saw a story about the biggest bank robbers on the central coast that lived in Morro bay or los Ossos they robbed banks up and down the coast for years before they were caught-But they never gave the address! just that it was in a residential neighborhod and a picture of a 70s style house.Any help?

OP
OP
K

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
I can't believe it the biggest gang of bank robber's living in slo county
robbing up and down the coast and no one herd of this?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I live a few hours north of there. When I read your first post, I didn't see what it had to do with metal detecting. Is there some reason to believe they buried some loot? If there was any reason for the cops to suspect that money was stashed (ie.: unaccounted for funds), believe me, the cops would have already searched the property with a fine tooth comb. Also, wouldn't bank robbery loot be paper money anyhow?

R

robert roy

Re: The central coast bank robbers/speaking of bank robbers...

Speaking of bank robbers did you hear about the bank robber (this is supposed to be a ture story about stupid criminals) who went to a city bank, strolled over to the table and wrote on the back of a bank withdrawal slip, a hold-up note. After waiting for a long time in the slow moving line, he began to get nurvous, so he left the bank and walked across the street to another bank. He approached the teller and handed her the hold up note. SHe read the note and seeing all the misspelled words realized this guy was not the brightest light in the harbor. She immediately said, "Sir, I'm sorry. This withdrawal slip is from another bank. I can't accept it! You'll have to fill out one of OUR slips or go back to the bank this one is from." Flustered, the hold up man walked back across the street to the other bank where he was promptly arrested.
;D ;D ;D ::)

OP
OP
K

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Well Tom_in_ Ca
In answer to your question NO! all the money would not be paper they seem to have raided safe deposit boxes to according to the F.B.I.
Now I don't know your experience but even after people have hunted parks/buildings/lawns/etc they have still missed things! I have found things in drains,desks,all kinds of furnature and in walls and an old water heater made
to look real but was a safe, the top of a stair rail banister hollowed out.
door knobs and door casements and on and on.Even the top law enforcement
search teams are amazed at things that were missed and hidden.Unfortunately
it all has to be turn in. But its the hunt and the thrill of finding something missed.I can remember pictures of a murder hidden in a heating vent, that were found ten years later after the house was remodeled.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Konnon6, most people in this hobby look for old coins, relics, and jewelry, via fumble-fingers losses. Or if they do look for hidden caches, it's for the ones of by-gone times. I haven't heard of anyone looking for proceeds of modern crimes, but I suppose some might take the hobby in that direction. I have, on several occasions in my 30 yrs of this, been asked to help the police and others find stolen goods they believe were stashed on properties. But I never thought to actually go out and make it a point (without some certain tip or whatever) to hunt for those things, as it pertains to the hobby side of this.

Did the newspaper accounts of the story you alude to, say for certain that valuables were un-accounted for?

One time, I was metal detecting in San Jose, CA, when my friend and I were approached by a guy, who asked if we could help him find some jewelry he'd buried several years earlier, but had forgotten the exact site. We agreed to a specified reward, and followed him to a house in a blighted neighborhood. From there, he led us on a foot-path to some gullys behind this neighborhood. He pointed out the area, and we went to work. After 5 minutes, my friend hits it: A bunch of gold rings and jewelry buried in some type of cloth sack! The guy thanked us, and led us back to his house, to give us our reward. Once at the house, he dumped the contents of the sack out on the table, and said "take your pick ...... your payment will be 1 item each, of your choice.". My friend and I sifted through the pile to make our pick. As I looked at various items, I could see all different type class rings, for example. Different years of graduation, male, female, diff. states, etc... We made our choice and got out of there...... because we were beginning to smell foul play. It was obvious this was all stolen stuff, and the guy must've buried it, but landed in the pokey, unable to return for several years.

The only reason I bring this up, is ...... in this case, you can see he buried it a clear block from his house. So, to hunt criminal's houses is a long crap-shoot, as there's no clear odds that 1) they even buried stuff to begin with, or 2) if they did, that they buried it at their house. Bear in mind, parole agents have the right to search parolees homes for any reason (a lot of criminals are parolees), so some put evidence far from them. I have also seen this in murder weapons I have recovered for the police: they were always stashed or disposed of far from the criminal's home.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah but humans tend to be beings of habit --- look for nearby stash spots --- if a large sum is stolen --it might not be on the property but is most likely with a block or two for fast and easy access--- look at the local heavy wooded areas where they can feel "safe"while hiding there stash -- be very careful -- digging up their stash can be very dangerous -- esp if they find out your "ripped" them off ( beware some hard core types booby trap their "money" stashes) --theives and armed robbers and dopers really hate getting stole from. and most likely will get even if they find out who burnt em. ---so do not cash in the gold jewelry locally since they normally know the local pawn shops owners very well ( aka the neighborhood "fence"--- since once its melted --who knows where the gold came from?) need major stones to play this game.

OP
OP
K

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Most of the gang where caught.And again this was stolen loot! It has to be turned in!The F.B.I. might think you were involved if you didn't turn over the loot.Finding it is the turn on! And I'm sure there might be a reward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions