Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from last night. I went over to my PA farm to deliver a 3 gallon bucket of gourmet ice cream to the owners. Things like that are important. I had a couple hours till dark so took the Deus to the "hot spot" areas of the two fields we have been digging. We were in their last weekend and I decided to go behind the 3 guys who were digging with me to see what they missed. They were using an Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030, and White's V3i. They missed a lot. This took me 1 hour to dig.

View attachment IMG_0923.jpg

Three three ringers, a Sharps bullet with dimple base, two eagle buttons, four buckles, one in iron, knapsack piece, finial to cartridge box, another .69 round musket ball, that's two this week from the site, round "ball" button, three brass grommets, silver pull tab look alike, don't know what it was used for but absolutely silver, two pieces of redware from top of the ground, large brass thin thingie, 9 modern bullets, small old buck round ball buck load.

I should follow behind expensive machines more often! This much was a surprise though.

Upvote 24

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I would LOVE to find all of that Civil War history!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been on the site for a year and 6 months now. I think I found another "hot spot" last weekend. Since the farmer deep discs, the possibilities continue.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good lord, that is a lot of good targets. That's what I like about digging it all. You nailed it on CW relics!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks can_slaw. I was really surprised to find pretty much anything in that small area, since three accomplished detectorists were there first. Hugh (vferrari) is right in calling it a "detectorists amusement park". There will be an end to the farm, but not when the farm deep discs every year. Next year he'll probably rotate crops, which should be awesome.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job kid, I'm thinking of hitting my underwater site tomorrow. Too hot 95 today

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Treblehunter and no, it tests for silver, and sure beats me what it was used for!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found one of those pull tab like pieces this past Saturday on a 1700's fort site I've been hunting since forever. I too thought it was a pull tab at first, but I kept it because it looked too much like silver and not aluminum. I haven't tested mine yet, but looks similar and I've dug enough pull tabs over the years to know it has a different look from those. I pondered if it could be a piece of trade silver, but I'm not sure. Would like to find out though. Picture.jpg

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...it was you that said it before. Miss by an inch, miss by a mile!

Detectors still do a very poor job scanning ...out to the side.:notworthy:

My partner that passed used to give me "H"!!! Every time he caught me following along......*behind* him! LOL!!

Good job!

By the by...was depth a factor?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funniest story which I have told here before, was on the beach at Folly Island, SC. There was a big CW site there, mostly in the Atlantic now. One guy walking on my left in front of me, the other on my right, again in front. I was not getting anything. They were pulling minie balls with their Tesoro machines left and right. I hadn't even heard of a Tesoro back then. Their swings were not overlapping but missing each other by several feet. I got this screamer signal and it was my first and only CW cartridge box plate. Miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile.

Depth was not a factor, neither was iron, except for one little area. Soil is very rocky and the stuff doesn't seem to be able to go deep.

And yes, trade silver would account for it. This site has tombac buttons on it and one Rev War US artillery button was found there. Fortunately by me. Place is incredible. No gold yet.

And worm-slicer, I think you nailed it. I almost threw it out a few times but every time I'd throw it on the kitchen counter it had a mild "ring" to it. Similar to a trime.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff there Smokey !
Thanks for sharing

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Smokey. I enjoyed your story. Those are some awesome finds while following behind some of the top of the line metal detectors...I just bought a new equinox 600 .... now I’m thinking maybe I should have bought an XP Deus. Congrats!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats crazy for an hour!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you still rock! the silver piece is intriguing for sure and probably is incomplete. the trade silver seems to make more sense. that is one awesome site and the ice cream was well worth it. However, I would have had to indulged in the creamy delight myself. A week or so back, somebody accidentally drove their truck into our Wendys front side. They are still working on it and so no chocolate Frosties for me until they get it finished.....AAAUUUUUUUUU! Chocolate Frosties are the perfect end of hunt treat!

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW, makes me wonder what Ive left behind.. I would love to know the story of what took place there.. I wouldnt be surprised if there is blood and souls in that soil..NICE find

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirtlooter what makes you think I didn’t partake in the ice cream feasting?

Th rebels went through there spying on the nearby town from two hilltops. The feds followed and left a picket post for a few days best we know.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now we're metal detecting. Congrats Smokey.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread