Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the second thread. A couple of you asked to see it cleaned up. So I cleaned it as much as I'm going to. It has a nice, medium brown patina on it. The ground up there is very kind to both the coins and relics. It was found on high ground, and was almost sitting on some fractured rocks. The bedrock is very close to the surface up there. Well, here it is. I certainly don't want to overdo it and wreck the patina. It is not actually shiny, that's an optical illusion due to the lighting. I have found CW brass/bronze relics that were so shiny they look (almost) like they were dropped yesterday, some so bad I can't figure out what they are, and more commonly patinas in brown, darker brown, several shades of green, and black. I suppose it all depends on what they were lost with. I also used a camera with a much greater resolution to it, so every scratch, casting flaw, etc. should be visible. It is an exact match to the one I previously mentioned in the first thread. IMG_0066.JPG If I never dig anything good again, I've had a GREAT run.

Last edited:
Upvote 47

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the second thread. A couple of you asked to see it cleaned up. So I cleaned it as much as I'm going to. It has a nice, medium brown patina on it. The ground up there is very kind to both the coins and relics. It was found on high ground, and was almost sitting on some fractured rocks. The bedrock is very close to the surface up there. Well, here it is. I certainly don't want to overdo it and wreck the patina. It is not actually shiny, that's an optical illusion due to the lighting. I have found CW brass/bronze relics that were so shiny they look (almost) like they were dropped yesterday, some so bad I can't figure out what they are, and more commonly patinas in brown, darker brown, several shades of green, and black. I suppose it all depends on what they were lost with. I also used a camera with a much greater resolution to it, so every scratch, casting flaw, etc. should be visible. It is an exact match to the one I previously mentioned in the first thread. View attachment 1537316 If I never dig anything good again, I've had a GREAT run.
Your'e not dead yet...you have many more exceptional finds ahead of you...this was just one of them.

Nicely done, smokey!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worm-slicer. I was out Friday at two sites. Saturday at two sites. Sunday a 150 mile drive toward your neck of the woods to another one. Monday one site when the high was 28 degrees 80 miles away. More planned for this Saturday 150 miles in the OTHER direction. The main reason I dig stuff including the occasional wow find is I'm out there all the time. And unless I want some newly dropped bling, I hunt private permissions only. I probably average 10-12 hours a week in the off season and 20 in the good season. In 2017 there were only two weekends I was not out maybe 3, due to stupid snow. I carry a full size pick to go through solid ground. This last find was totally unexpected. We have been working the site for a year now, but just moved into this new area. Miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile but one good hit makes up for a lot of misses. I'm not hard headed, no, not at all, no, not really. Yes.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That my friend is a thing of beauty, very nice job on the cleanup, again, congrats!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Worm-slicer. I was out Friday at two sites. Saturday at two sites. Sunday a 150 mile drive toward your neck of the woods to another one. Monday one site when the high was 28 degrees 80 miles away. More planned for this Saturday 150 miles in the OTHER direction. The main reason I dig stuff including the occasional wow find is I'm out there all the time. And unless I want some newly dropped bling, I hunt private permissions only. I probably average 10-12 hours a week in the off season and 20 in the good season. In 2017 there were only two weekends I was not out maybe 3, due to stupid snow. I carry a full size pick to go through solid ground. This last find was totally unexpected. We have been working the site for a year now, but just moved into this new area. Miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile but one good hit makes up for a lot of misses. I'm not hard headed, no, not at all, no, not really. Yes.
Wow, STC, you sure do get out bunch. I am dying to get out. Just been very busy through the holidays mostly with work and then when I can get out the weather hasn't been agreeing. Also I have a lot of places wooded and hunting season cut off a ton of those since it began the first of October and just finished up last week I think (since I don't really enjoy being shot I avoid those during that time of the year, hehehe.) They are calling for it to get better this weekend so I have my fingers crossed I can start getting out some and no more hunting seasons to worry with until Spring turkey season, which is in April I think. Sounds like nothing slows you down and getting out lots always increases chances of good finds. You are right, you can miss something by just an inch so even though a place seems like slim pickens, you just never know when something may be hiding all out by its lonesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread