The county wants all treasure or just big treasure?

Wasabi-wasabi

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piZap_1485493452916.jpg
Please help me understand line 6.
The county wants everything found or just large treasures? This is on the county metal detecting application.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like you have to turn over anything you find. Id bring them lots of pull tabs, can slaw and crusty zinc cents till they say you can stop bringing them your finds :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While applying for the permit, I'd get clarification of what constitutes a treasure trove. Is it a single coin or are they eluding to a cache? It sucks that you can't legally pull targets that are deeper than 6 inches.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sounds like just "treasure troves". Not singular coins. But I bet if you went turning in your junk and individual coins as Showtime jokes about, or "seeking clarifications" that loco-digger suggests, that it would only be a matter of time before the revoke the permit entirely. And just make it simple and say "no md'ing". The psychology of taking up their time to answer Q's, just makes it "perpetually on their radar" as something they have to deal with. This is why there are many stories circulating of permit-programs rescinded, and md'ing banned at some point. Because the mere fact that a "permit" exists, means it's perpetually on their annual list of things to consider, think about, etc.. And then sure as sh$t, one year they decide "gee, do we really want all these yahoos out there digging up the parks ?"

And also notice your permit language says you can't dig deeper than 6". Really ? Ok, so I guess that means they have a fellow follow you and I around with a ruler measuring the depth of the coins/targets you dig. Right ? And he cuffs you and hauls you off when you go deeper than 6", eh ? If I were getting a screaming signal on my machine at 6" , telling me a silver dime is just a tad further, do you think I'm going to stop ? Heck, there are park turf scenarios where I deliberately PASS any signal LESS than 6" (in the quest for deeper older coins, trying to pass clad).

Thus while the notion of "permits" seems to "wax romantic" in the eyes of md'rs (thinking it's a carte-blanche to detect nilly willy), yet as your permit shows, they are ALWAYS fraught with problems and silly-ness. Hence much better for the law to be silent on the subject, not addressed either way.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says "treasure trove" in England they have that law everywhere and it means something like a certain age and or value is considered a trove. But it is not up to the MDer to determine the value/age. I think anything that might be thought as a trove has to be taken to the local Finds Liaison Officer and he decides.

First off I think this whole thing is a bunch of BS.

Here is wikipedia's definition:

Treasure trove is an amount of money or coin, gold, silver, plate, or bullion found hidden underground or in places such as cellars or attics, where the treasure seems old enough for it to be presumed that the true owner is dead and the heirs undiscoverable. The legal definition of what constitutes treasure trove and its treatment under law vary considerably from country to country, and from era to era.

So if you find a few gold rings no big deal. They were not hidden.
Down in SoCA I only heard of one city that required an MD permit to hunt and I never heard of any BS rules that came with the permit.

OP
OP
Wasabi-wasabi

Wasabi-wasabi

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of you have great points. I agree that turning over 1,000 pull tabs every week would not end well lol. Thank you for explaining the question of line 6. And yeah...I wonder how they came up with the 6 inch limit?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of you have great points. I agree that turning over 1,000 pull tabs every week would not end well lol. Thank you for explaining the question of line 6. And yeah...I wonder how they came up with the 6 inch limit?

I would presume that they might believe that the depth of the hole relates to it's circumference so in theory a foot deep hole would require a plug that was a foot in circumference, or else they know they laid 6 inches of fill dirt and don't want you to find anything but recent coin drops?

OP
OP
Wasabi-wasabi

Wasabi-wasabi

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very logical Loco-Digger. I had concidered digging to China but they stopped me lol...guess it's the slow boat then! 6 inches at a time :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would dig anything I want and if hassled, raise your hands and repeat " black lives matter"

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....I wonder how they came up with the 6 inch limit?

I betcha here's how: Someone(s) in decades past went in asking "can I detect?" Or "is there a permit to md ?". Seeing as how the knee-jerk mental connotation is "geeks with shovels digging", they have to address this, eh? I've even seen "permits" with length of digger-tool itself said to be "not to exceed 4" (or whatever). Like , gee, a person with enough resolve can't dig a deep messy pit with a teaspoon ?

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep your digs clean and tidy, pop coins when you can, dig flaps when you can't, bring a towel to gather dirt, and don't worry about it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When dealing with people and governments, have written contracts and rules and regulations and laws.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread