The Curse of Civil War Gold

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/...ar-gold-new-treasure-hunting-show-on-history/

Just saw a brief preview. From the same folks that brought us The Curse of Oak Island. Just happens to be up by Marty Lagina's neck of the woods and they just happen to be using the same guy who does the metal detecting from The Curse of Oak Island, ( Gary Drayton ).

Some say the guys on Oak Island had some type of argument ? and maybe this is why ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I see his website is 1715hunter. Have you heard of him in the past ? I saw him maybe a year or so ago and was fairly impressed at that time. I want to root for the guy but when he detects a "nut", (obvious to everyone), and he says it is nothing, then he detects a bolt and says the two don't go together it makes me wonder what happened.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dread this show and the moderation that will entail just like the Oak Island fantasy show... sigh

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Marty Lagina is not backing this guy yet, but he calls Marty weekly with an update which is usually nothing or nothing to establish proof. If I was Marty, I would tell the guy not to bother me until he has something very substantial. Next week he will call Marty and tell him they found a Burger King wrapper and this leads them to believe they are on the right trail. :dontknow:

I am still confused as to why a treasure hunter goes to another treasure hunter for funding ? And at that, Marty is a millionaire, but doesn't have an endless line of credit as he is still shelling out some for Oak Island. The show doesn't pay for everything.

Last edited:

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My biggest issue with this show's search, as well as say that Dent's Run one, is that there is absolutely no evidence of there being anything. A lighthouse keeper's deathbed confession he saw a rail car pushed overboard? As I stated before, I definitely appreciate the historical context of these shows, as they do shed light on little things I've never head about, so I'm not going to dog it for that reason alone. That being said, they've taken one alleged deathbed confession and created their own narrative, and I believe they have truly convinced themselves of this conspiracy (not curse, by the way) solely on the dots they have created on their own accord and then connected. Obviously for an entire season or more, you have create carrots for them to go after, because logically speaking, they would have just hired someone to run ss sonar and search the perimeter of what the alleged lighthouse keeper would have seen. All their searching is not going to lead to a, "at this coordinate we dropped a rail car of Confederate gold", which in itself makes zero sense. I know nothing will be found, but I'll keep watching...blame people like me for more seasons! Hahah!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Three episodes in and still nothing has even happened since it started. What made them think that any of those safe deposit boxes wouldn't have already been emptied out before they came and checked, better yet why would they have Confederate gold in them (wouldn't they use the big safe to store something like that?).

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought that Curse of Oak Island and any spin offs of the program would be long gone within a year, that was around 4 years ago. Apparently viewers took the bait with that show. I enjoyed it for the first few episodes, but it quickly got old seeing them find nothing or make a big deal out of something tiny for 5 episodes straight. Confederate Gold seems to be the same, only even slower paced than Oak Island.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/oak-island/438400-your-thoughts-oak-island.html

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Another based on a "death bed" confession. If the lighthouse keeper actually saw this box car pushed overboard, why didn't he report it ? This could have been a potential navigation danger. I would think this lighthouse keeper's job dictated he report circumstances such as this. Evidently, the shipment was NOT insured which means the shipper was hiding something, or there never was a shipment lost ? Was this lighthouse keeper on the payroll of either Charles Hackley or Benjamin D. Pritchard, or both ? "IF" he saw a box car pushed into the lake, how did he come to the conclusion it was Civil War gold ?
cocwg-9.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Gary Drayton and the team making their biggest discovery on The Curse of Civil War Gold premiere. ( A "Confederate" silver coin )[/FONT]

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the History Channel will do a series called: The Curse of The History Channel. They are ruining these types of shows and giving the Metal Detecting / Treasure Hunter / Historical Artifact Location Teams and others a black eye. The tv audience sees our representatives come in and and then leave with egg on our face. It is a BAD RAP !

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Another based on a "death bed" confession. If the lighthouse keeper actually saw this box car pushed overboard, why didn't he report it ? This could have been a potential navigation danger. I would think this lighthouse keeper's job dictated he report circumstances such as this. Evidently, the shipment was NOT insured which means the shipper was hiding something, or there never was a shipment lost ? Was this lighthouse keeper on the payroll of either Charles Hackley or Benjamin D. Pritchard, or both ? "IF" he saw a box car pushed into the lake, how did he come to the conclusion it was Civil War gold ?
cocwg-9.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Gary Drayton and the team making their biggest discovery on The Curse of Civil War Gold premiere. ( A "Confederate" silver coin )[/FONT]

I read the last two sentences of what you wrote in the narrator's voice. Totally works!

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't lie, That was totally by accident. Did not realize how it sounded until you pointed it out. I've watched these shows for so long I guess I am starting to pick up BAD habits. :BangHead:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Did they ever even show a close up photo of the "coin" they found? They show you a far away shot of it for around three seconds, right after after they dug it. Then they show the token that they think it is. Their "coin" doesn't even look silver, and I highly doubt it is of Confederate origin even if it is. My guess is that it is probably just a flat button with a missing shank, and they didn't find anything better to show us while metal detecting. They probably just claimed that the button was a coin just to keep viewers interested. Based on Gary's excitement though, I think they (or Gary at least) might have genuinely believed their find to be a Confederate silver coin right as they dug it. Shortly after they probably were embarrassed to realized that it wasn't the coin they thought it was, but didn't reveal this information. On Oak Island when they found a copper Spanish Maravedi they showed it close up for the next 10 episodes, and on nearly every commercial for the show. Surely a Confederate silver coin of that size, probably worth tens or hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars, is worthy of this exposure.

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
coinman123 said: Did they ever even show a close up photo of the "coin" they found?
##############################

Nope, no close-up. I am stumped as to why only a single coin, ( if it was a coin ) ? The people involved in the burying and then digging it back up would surely have missed several you would think, especially if it was just "dumped" into holes and then filled back in with dirt. They would not want to be seen or caught so it would have been done hastily.
If that coin "WAS" real, they would be bragging about that each and every episode. They are waiting to send that coin in for testing along with the Oak Island cross, then they get a quantity discount. :laughing7:
Maybe they are saving it for when they actually "DIVE" into Lake Michigan and discover a Roman sword and then run it over to Wal-Mart and to have it all authenticated at once. :tongue3:

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a thread on another forum about the "coin" they dug. This reply gave me a laugh.

"I'm pretty sure it was a Confederate electrical box knockout."

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
How really prepared are they ? They can not even take a flashlight when they go looking for caves. What do they expect, electricity and interior lights ? C'mon guys. This just isn't believable. No flashlight, but they are strapped with weapons.

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Now they say the gold was melted down, which means they can not prove it was the Civil war gold they are looking for. None of this proves, ( or can even link ) to Civil war gold in a box car at the bottom of the lake. big-headache-smiley-emoticon.gif

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would the gold be marked " U.S. Calvary " if it is suppose to be Confederate gold ?
"IF' the feds did swarm on that cave, chances are they would not have left any thing that could be recognized as evidence ?
Again, they try to claim they found the remnants of the six (6) wagons that were burnt, they only have a handful of pieces. Only (1) bolt and only (1) nut. How could you relate that as evidence of 6 wagons.

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, Marty bought in on the thinnest piece of evidence. This probably means he is going to burn through his money and not have enough to continue on Oak Island, giving him an excuse to bow out. Wondering what brother Rick is thinking ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions