The Damn LAW!

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sick of all these GD laws about metal detecting. Such as in North Carolina you can detect on city or state property but you can't dig WTF, or in Tennessee if you get caught with anything dug over 100 years old it's an arrest...I didn't buy $1400 worth of stuff for scratching my ass! I think I'm gonna go covert and just do it at night, so what I'm breaking some law created by pansy selfish archeologist, f'em....at least I cover my tracks and holes. PS I'm not going on private property without permission....at least the ones with posted signs and residential areas, that's an obvious no no.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Nighthawking" is dangerous and it's not bright to be talking about doing it on the forums. Make sure you have a friend willing to make your bail. Do some research and find some places you can detect legally. Use your head, not just your machine. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more so venting but that's my point, unless it's private property with permission...where can you go without breaking the law in some states, it's gotten ridicules....it's almost like being a detectorist your also considered a vandelist.

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,I understand your frustatration,I live on the island of malta which has been invaded by the Romans Arabs Turks,French and lastly the british,it's full of history but alas no metal detectors are allowed,I think they would rather have there treasures destroyed by tractors than have someone with a metal detector dig them up.So I'm stuck with the beach but it's better than a kick in the teeth.Good Luck Tony

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,I understand your frustatration,I live on the island of malta which has been invaded by the Romans Arabs Turks,French and lastly the british,it's full of history but alas no metal detectors are allowed,I think they would rather have there treasures destroyed by tractors than have someone with a metal detector dig them up.So I'm stuck with the beach but it's better than a kick in the teeth.Good Luck Tony

Hey, a lot of the Romans, Arabs, Turks, French and British liked to swim and sunbathe and there were probably a lot of battles on and along the coastline, so you never know what you might find in or out of the water in locations you can metal detect.

Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Sick of all these GD laws about metal detecting. Such as in North Carolina you can detect on city or state property but you can't dig WTF, or in Tennessee if you get caught with anything dug over 100 years old it's an arrest...I didn't buy $1400 worth of stuff for scratching my ass! I think I'm gonna go covert and just do it at night, so what I'm breaking some law created by pansy selfish archeologist, f'em....at least I cover my tracks and holes. PS I'm not going on private property without permission....at least the ones with posted signs and residential areas, that's an obvious no no.

ok, I'll bite: WHERE THE HECK did you get the information that you can detect, but can't dig, on city properties in all of NC ? I could understand the part about state, but only insofar as it concerns state parks. Not other forms of land within the state (city and county). Each city has it's own rules, codes, charter, etc.. And each county too is different. And RARELY EVER is detecting listed as something forbidden down on podunk city and county levels.

So pray-tell: where did you get the information that "all city parks in the entire state of NC prohibit digging in the parks" ?

And same for your TN info. Your "100 yr." thing might pertain to TN state parks. But no, it does not apply to all other forms of parks, schools, land, etc.... ONLY state parks.

This has been a common misconception when people read the state parks rules list (like what the FMDAC puts out there in their link, for instance). When people read something dire sounding there, they can make the mistake to think that means "the entire state". But it doesn't. It only means the states parks period. Other entity/levels of govt. are not state parks.

Now that's not to say that there *might* not be something on city or county levels about "defacement" or "alteration" or "vandalism", etc... (if that's where you're getting your "dig" fears). But if you leave no trace, then technically you have not defacED, or alterED anything. Just go at low traffic times, avoid busy-bodies and obvious historic sacred monuments. Trust me: there's scores of hunters in each of the states you list, who are a) on public property, and b) "digging" (gasp) for their targets, and c) find > 100 yr. old stuff (gasp). Just don't parade yourself in front of nosy archaeologists at sacred sites.

Last edited:

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi frank, the Only French, british,and Italians,coming here are tourists I hit the beaches for three days running and picked up so many old maltese and british coins going back to the 60s and 70s I stopped counting,it's like summer here at the moment but malta gets hit with some fantastic storms so here's hoping some thing of interest gets washed up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread