Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been spraying a red wasp nest outside my front door. It was full of the old, dark red paper wasps. So after using a whole can of Raid on that I went back in the house to get another can just to make sure I killed them all. As soon as I stepped out the door, another kind of wasp started chasing me! I thought it was the devil >:D--it looked that mean! And it took a 1/2 can of Raid just to knock this one wasp down! I was running backwards and screaming like a little girl :crybaby2:!!! I sure am glad I live in the country and nobody witnessed that!! I didn't think I was gonna get it killed before it got me :help:!!
Anybody know what kind it is? We've looked it our bug books but can't find this one?!
I hate creepy crawly things!! First two pics are of the wasp that chased me and the last two are of the big wasp nest I knocked down.
~~sandcreek

Attachments

• P1100008.JPG
    P1100008.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 827
  • P1100023.JPG
    P1100023.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,629
  • P1100015.JPG
    P1100015.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 772
  • P1100028.JPG
    P1100028.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 922
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
I believe a good old hornet my friend
I thought maybe it was some kind of spider wasp or burrowing wasp? My husband always tells me "I hope nuthin bad ever gets a hold of you!" ;D.
regards~~sandcreek

Likely Guy

Why that looks like a "Polistes carolina".

Frome the site: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...istes+carolina&gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&um=1

"Our featured animal this month is the red wasp. This insect is a type of paper wasp that makes umbrella shaped nests attached by a small stem and having honeycomb-like cells opening to the bottom. The red wasp is a social insect, with each nest occupied by a single queen that lays eggs and similar looking female workers who are her daughters. Males, born only later in the season, perform the sole duty of mating with future queens. Most members of a nest die at the end of summer, but the mated queens hide in safe places through the winter and survive to start new colonies the next spring."

Pic for comparison:

Attachments

• bbeast3-05.jpg
    bbeast3-05.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,386
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely Guy said:
Why that looks like a "Polistes carolina".

Frome the site: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...istes+carolina&gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&um=1

"Our featured animal this month is the red wasp. This insect is a type of paper wasp that makes umbrella shaped nests attached by a small stem and having honeycomb-like cells opening to the bottom. The red wasp is a social insect, with each nest occupied by a single queen that lays eggs and similar looking female workers who are her daughters. Males, born only later in the season, perform the sole duty of mating with future queens. Most members of a nest die at the end of summer, but the mated queens hide in safe places through the winter and survive to start new colonies the next spring."

Pic for comparison:
I thought it was just a regular red wasp, too Likely Guy, but it has two sets of wings and black rings around its tail?
The wasps in the nest were different than the one that chased me. They were a "paper wasp" and there were about 15 of those things on that nest!!
thanks for the info!!
kind regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
those things terrify me !!
by the way ive got you on video
running from that wasp and screaming !!
lol
;D You better not have me on video, Allen! You should have seen how silly I was acting over that one little wasp! My dogs thought I had gone nuts--they went and hid under the porch and wouldn't come back out :laughing9:. I made a spectacle of myself and I'm glad I don't have any neighbors! ::) :laughing7:
regards~~sandcreek

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I watched a huge wasp drag a spider across the yard and under the house. It was big for a wasp, I wouldn't want to fight one.
yeah, Tom heard ya!

naturegirl

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
I watched a huge wasp drag a spider across the yard and under the house. It was big for a wasp, I wouldn't want to fight one.
yeah, Tom heard ya!

naturegirl
Naturegirl----I was hoping none of the pumpers, that come up and down this road, were looking towards the house. Its all funny now, but when that thing was chasing me, I wasn't laughing--I was cussing instead!
I think right now all the wasps are hatching out babies and are really aggressive! My mom said a girl [that's lives across the street from her] was running down her driveway and batting at her head :laughing9:. And my sister said a woman pulled up in front of her antique shop and got out of her car screaming cause a wasp was after her.
I don't know about anyone else, but I am so ready for Fall and colder weather!
regards~~sandcreek
coincrazed said:
I HATE those things.They look terribly frightening.Nice pics,my man! - coincrazed
Yep, they are frightening and I hate em too, especially after yesterday!
thanks for the comments, coincrazed!
kind regards~~sandcreek

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that bad boy looks wicked

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was putting on a metal roof one time and when got into some of those.They kept hammering us as we tried to climb down. I almost laugh now.. The worst ever is that black and white hornet they will knock you down for sure.
Glad you are ok

TnMountains

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
I was putting on a metal roof one time and when got into some of those.They kept hammering us as we tried to climb down. I almost laugh now.. The worst ever is that black and white hornet they will knock you down for sure.
Glad you are ok

TnMountains
Thanks TnMountains! We have some of the black and white hornets around here but they've never gotton after me like this one did!
regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Holy Cow, look at the stinger on that sucker!!!! :o

I had a bunch of wasps shove me down the stairs and kick me up and down the sidewalk. Once they got me down on the ground they proceeded to beat on me with huge sticks..........calling me filthy names etc.................. well it seemed like that's what was happening at the time anyway. I did have to go to the hospital though. :tard:
Yeah that stinger on that thing was HUGE! And look at those little grabbers on its legs--he would've really socked it to me if I hadn't blasted him with the Raid!
Are you allergic to wasps and bees, Felinpeachy? My husband has a friend who has to carry around one of those pens to give himself a shot if he gets stung or take Benedryl really fast. I think his throat closes up when he gets stung.
Everybody "bee" careful right now cause the wasps are in aggressive mode!!
kind regards~~sandcreek

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love your Avatar.......

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know how I missed that post.....You are very lucky !!!!

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
When I was young and could run really fast, a wasp chased me four laps around the house. Every time I looked back, it was 8 inches from my nose.

Nowadays, I just stand my ground and go slap happy. I don't throw rocks at wasp nests anymore though.

Hornets hate lawn mowers and will bite the operator behind the ear when the mower passes by. ouch! Two little fang marks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread