Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Diary of Thomas Ninnes" 1852 March 30 [Gold Rush]

The spelling has be left as written by Thomas Ninness at the time

1852,March 30 - At night My Wife was confine in Jane.She never had a better time.Child born all right in a little time.Sister Mary Thomas present.We had a splendid tent on our dray of close tick.All our bedding was in fact as comfortable as a bedroom.The Following night Maria in her sleep being covered very close put out her arms, turned back the clothes and got cold about the arms,brest and neck. She awoke about 3 o'clock and said she was cold.I gave something hot at once.She improved but never gote right as before.She had an attack of the dysentery.She was now 10 miles from Busenbank,6 miles from the Pirenees and 25 miles from Mount Alexander.We stopped for a week at Daisy Hill.

1852,April 13 - We pitched our tents on Bullock Creek about 8 miles from Long Gully.We pitched to work in Long Gully ,John Thomas,William Henry full share ,James 2/3 share.Brother Joseph and self we had 2 good gold holes in Long Gully.

1852, April - [long note] We pitched to work at Long Gully.We had 2 good holes sunk and worked out by Brother Joseph and myself. James Thomas carted the the wash dust to Bullock Creek to wash 8 miles.No water on the diggens. We washed 63 oz of gold from the 2 holes. John Thomas was laid up some time. Not able to work. John and William Henry did not get any gold.When we settled or divided Brother Joseph would not count for John Thomas to have his share as he had not done any work. John Thomas was very much put out by this.Joseph declared he did not come to the diggens To get gold for John Thomas and family and he had done more than the 2 of us and had little for it.Paid John Thomas 3 oz of gold for the use of his dray to go from Burra to Diggens.

1852,May 11 - We moved our tents to the Head of Mionses Flat and Creek.It came on fearful hard rains. Maria gote whet. She soon gote worse.Palpitations of the hearte came on.

Monday ,18 May - I fetched Doctor Smitch, a German for the Burra. He attended her for inflammation of the lungs.Paid him for 5 visits 10 pounds stirling.No better the 29 May and fetched Doctor Oakley He attended her till June 29th paid 7 visits for 7 pounds stirling,medison 3 pounds stirling.

1852,May 29 - Little Grace died at 9 o.clock at night of direah.Jane died at 12 o'clock same night from the want of breast nursing. We took boards from the Burra which we used to make coffins. I made nice cofins for the children. My wife requested me to make a coffin for her also.It was a severe trail to me but i managed to make it. Bound it with white cloth and it appeared very nice. John Thomas dug the graves.Nicholas Trehair read the buried service.

1852, June, 29 - i gote Doctor Moile ,a nephew of our family doctor of Penzance to see her. Dr Moile declared her case incurable he said she had water in the chamber of the heart and common dropsy.There was no hope of whatever of her recovering.Paid him 1 pound stirling.

1852, 5 july - Maria wanted to see Dr, Smitch.She was in a bad state and could live or die no sleep.Being Sunday morning i hunted him up.Gote to our tent in the afternoon.I went with him for medison. I got back at 8 o'clock at night commenced giving to Maria. It had a fearful effect on her. She became delirious with deathlike appearance in her face.We stopped giving her the medison.She became conscious the next day.She said she soon be gone.She gave up everything for that moment. Praying to the Lord she died at 3 o'clock that day 7th of July. Doctoring in medical comforts cost a little over 30 pounds stirling. She lived 3 months and 7 days after her confinement. So ends the history of a good ,carefull,affectionate wife. Myself with Mary and Martha was left to mourn her loss.

End of 1852- We had pretty good holes at Pegleg Gully,Joseph went home in the Spring. I continued
working with John Thomas and the boys until returned.He and myself joined and worked at Pegleg Gully.

January 1853- We purchased Nagars and Trathews hole ,White Hills for 6 ozs of gold.Joseph Paul Raoch and Henry Pollard.One afternoon we had come up and were standing the bank of our shaft we saw a man comming down the Bendigo Roade .I said to Joseph that looks like brother William.We cooed and he came right up the hill to us. Proved to be him.He was overjoyed and we were glad to see him.Willaim joined with John Thomas and the boys . They went to Heathcote. We worked out our ground pretty well and went down to Heathcote We did not make much there. William gote very little with John Thomas. He returned to Bendigo with us. Joseph Paul Raoch and Henry Pollard left for home. William pitched with me.We worked in White Hills untill November. We gote a good bit of gold.
I built a stone wall around the graves of my wife and two children and cut their names in a Large tree at the head of the graves.The walle is all right but the tree is cut down and Mr Roas have the land, care is taken of the stop.

Hi all today this stone wall and the graves of the Ninnes family still sit in the shade of other trees on a hill top just above a gold mining gully. Over the last week i have spent my time hunting these sites mention in the Excerpt from the Diary of Thomas Ninnes .Here some awsome pics from from my hunts.
I have tried to use the best pics. I took 100 photos and only used 8 for this thread.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1554.jpg
    100_1554.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 792
  • 100_1555.jpg
    100_1555.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 811
  • 100_1562.jpg
    100_1562.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 780
  • 100_1563.jpg
    100_1563.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 918
  • 100_1564.jpg
    100_1564.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 915
  • 100_1565.jpg
    100_1565.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 936
  • 100_1566.jpg
    100_1566.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 910
  • 100_1567.jpg
    100_1567.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 927
Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "The Diary of Thomas Ninnes" 1852 March 30 [Gold Rush]

Love your story titles, love the stories, love the finds.
Always entertaining!
Cheers!
Carl

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Re: "The Diary of Thomas Ninnes" 1852 March 30 [Gold Rush]

Now you are finding it on the surface, what next tinny? I need Milk of Magnesia right now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread