The dilemma--how to be productive, safe, and ethical

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
I have this thing about getting arrested....or even yelled at! Yet I constantly hear the best sites are construction zones (private property, usually well marked and fenced off with "no trespassing" signs), the grounds around old houses, etc. I read others saying "I went in the middle of the night," or "I got up really early to avoid being seen..."
to me, that is at the least chancy and at the worst, you could get shot. Now, I'm not aware of any metal detectorist ever getting shot at, or even arrested or fined, but I'm still nervous about the prospect.

So here I sit this morning wanting to go out detecting but not knowing where I can go.
I've done the schoolyards, recently discovered it's illegal in the parks in my town, and been told that BLM and National Forest folks get really nasty. One of the reasons I believe the detecting hobby gets a bad rap is because of those who engage in trespassing and other unethical behaviors, and I don't want to be one of those people. Does that mean I cannot really find good stuff and do so knowing I am acting legally and ethically?

So, I'm hoping for some advice from you all--how to stay productive, yet be ethical and safe at the same time.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
mIKE,
ASK PERMISSION!!
Knock on a few doors and ask if you can detect in people's yards. You may get some funny looks, but many people will be intrigued and ask you questions. Show them that you can do a recovery so well that they cannot find the hole. Offer an equitable division of finds. As you hunt from place to place, word-of-mouth will spread and you will find folks asking for you to come hunt on their property.

grizzly bare

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MikeOregon said:
I have this thing about getting arrested....or even yelled at! Yet I constantly hear the best sites are construction zones (private property, usually well marked and fenced off with "no trespassing" signs), the grounds around old houses, etc. I read others saying "I went in the middle of the night," or "I got up really early to avoid being seen..."
to me, that is at the least chancy and at the worst, you could get shot. Now, I'm not aware of any metal detectorist ever getting shot at, or even arrested or fined, but I'm still nervous about the prospect.

Yes I hear those stories too.

& in My opinion, Most are Lies & the Rest are People wanting
to cause conflict on the forums.

MikeOregon said:
So here I sit this morning wanting to go out detecting but not knowing where I can go.
I've done the schoolyards, recently discovered it's illegal in the parks in my town, and been told that BLM and National Forest folks get really nasty. One of the reasons I believe the detecting hobby gets a bad rap is because of those who engage in trespassing and other unethical behaviors, and I don't want to be one of those people. Does that mean I cannot really find good stuff and do so knowing I am acting legally and ethically?

RESEARCH, & Sticking to the Search, Never Give up.

MikeOregon said:
So, I'm hoping for some advice from you all--how to stay productive, yet be ethical and safe at the same time.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Mike

RESEARCH, & Sticking to the Search, Never Give up.

Happy Hunting !

Jeff

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Mike:
Don't write off the BLM and National Forest sites. These are my choice sites here in Idaho. Remember that BLM, Forest Service, and State Doesn't own any land It's Public Land, Thats you and Me. Ask their office for maps, any closures due to fire's etc. and tell them what you're doing, clean up some camper trash, fill your holes and enjoy "your" land.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
like grizzly said ask permission. sometimes you will get a no and sometimes a yes. its a crap shoot for sure,but right now you cant hunt those sites. what have you got to lose by asking. only things to gain. one helpfull tool i have found is the tax parcel records. in my county you can access them online, and they are a wealth of information. not only can you get the age of a property, but the name and address of the owner.all that is left to do then is put a letter in the mail, or knock on thier door. i dont hunt places without permission. i dont want to be looking over my shoulder every time i hear a car go by.besides........it makes us all look bad when a detectorist pisses someone off.

OP
OP
MikeOregon

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement. I got the courage up to ask someone today and they said "yes." That is a good first step. Didn't find much, but at least I had a couple of hours of hunting, fresh air, and hope. I did rid the place of a hose end, some cans, and a rifle shell, and two coins. But for me the victory of the day was to ask and not get "no" for an answer.

Thanks again,

Mike

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
If its owned by a private citizen like you or me I always ask permission. If its owned by the state government or federal government I walk all over it and dont care. If its a random large piece of wooded area I explore it cautiously and don't go into any areas that are posted no tresspassing, many times I have just wandered through a random section of woods, ran into the owner while out there, and we talked and they say I am welcome to explore and detect it. Theres not a ton of conservation land and parks around westminster, but the town i have house in on cape, Yarmouth, has tons of conservation land and public parks, acres and acres of paths and woods to detect, may not be that productive but iv found alot of jewelry and wheaties on them and its perfectly legal...i think ::) :D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread