Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never stop digging. Hit the woods where the ground stays warm under a blanket of rotting leaves.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt every weekend until the ground freezes. This normally happens in the 2nd week of January and stays frozen until late February or early March.

OP
OP
wingmaster

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep just saying when your not going to be out for a bit don't leave in those batteries, especially if there on the low side. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been known to hunt with a chipping hammer when the ground was frozen.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used a pickaxe a few times in January when it's all that will penetrate the soil. :laughing7:

Many times the ground may only be frozen on the top few inches. Break that frozen barrier and it's easy diggin again.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been known to hunt with a chipping hammer when the ground was frozen.

I've used a pickaxe a few times in January when it's all that will penetrate the soil. :laughing7:

Many times the ground may only be frozen on the top few inches. Break that frozen barrier and it's easy diggin again.

You guys got it bad, no pick axe for me. If my shovel doesn't work, neither do I. I do get another week or 2 if I hunt in the woods at the local state park that used to be 4 farms back in the day.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a piranha shovel by predator tools (see pic). if that don't work, I haul a torch in with me. I won't stop detecting no matter what. It does not snow here that often. If we get an inch, everything shuts down. I am also off work bec of it, so that is when I have time to head out.

Piranha2.jpg

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking the batteries out during the off season is a very good reminder! But...since we are talking about hunting "fever"...when I was desperate enough, I would hunt frozen ground, making mental note where I found some goodies...and go back when the ground thawed! Now that's nuts! With that said I have since moved south of the Mason Dixon and the ground never freezes. Ta-da! Thank you...thank you very much! H Chipping!

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya I hunt year round... rain, light snow... just do more woods/field hunting in the winter months...

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
The fall and winter are my hunting months. After that its kids practices, vacations, and warm weather, which I don't like detecting in too well. I know most of you will say, you mean you don't detect in warmer months?? Not too often unless i would get an opportunity to hunt somewhere I really wanted to hunt and that was the only time i could.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ground in the Salt Lake Valley is frozen to about 3 or 4 inches. I just head out to the desert and hope its not frozen there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread