The entrance to a lost mine

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
The following video was made as I was trying to get past the water in a old mine here in British Columbia near Stave Lake. Watch the video below and tell me what you think.

Thanks
Daryl Friesen

www.spindlequest.com/mineintro.html

[youtube=425,350] <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object> [/youtube]

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
What's the lay of the land around the mine like? Sometime the simplest solutions are overlooked. A garden hose with the discharge end lower than the intake end can suck several hundred gallons of water out in a very short time with just a couple of puffs on the discharge end of the hose to get it flowing. Even if you need to link two or three or four hoses together, if you can get the discharge side lower than the intake side, gravity will do it's job. Of course this is assuming this isn't a deep mine but something easily accessible from ground level. If I'm wrong, feel free to ignore me or flame me at your leisure :)

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Hello Daryl, If you can't get a siphon going the way you are trying, try this. Get a length or lengths of hose that gets you below the water level of the mine. I like to use poly pipe. Connect together so there are no air leaks. Go to the bottom of your line and plug it up tight with something. Then go in the mine and pour a bunch of water down the hose so it goes below the entrance of the mine. Try to put in 5 or 10 gallons. The higher you have to lift the water out of the entrance the more water it might take. When you think you have enough water to start the siphon, put the end back in the water in the mine. Go to the bottom of the hose and pull your plug out. This should create enough pull to get the water to siphon. Jimmygoat

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
The two easiest ways I've found to dewater a mine hole or otherwise siphon water are either to
carefully submerge a coil of flexible water line one loop at a time into the water until the end is reached . Plug the end of the now full hose and then drag it out to below water level and remove the plug .
Or , mount a pitcher pump upright on a tee fitting on the downstream end of the line and a gate valve downstream of the T . Place a foot valve on the intake end of the line to prevent
backflow . It takes a minimal amount of water and effort to prime the pump and get the line loaded . Once siphon is established you open the gate valve and let nature take it's course .
NOTE : The least amount of air will reach the high point and create a void that will break the siphon .
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread