All Treasure Hunting

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post seems like there is mines all over ky .

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Stuff Creek Crawler! The guy who found Swift and 1812 carved on a rock may not have found the Swift mine,(wrong date/time) but he found something.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Common denominator in every article, every newspaper....no follow up story to back the claims/stories. This common denominator is still applicable as late as 2017 and will probably apply at some point this year.

It would be interesting to comb all of the archives of every newspaper that may have an article regarding a different someone finding Swifts mine and consolidate them. Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and North Carolina newspapers just to get started...I'm certain it would be a huge compilation....lol. Heck, I think just about every county in Kentucky has a Swift mine or two.

Show me some ore....lol. All these mines and no ore. Slag....yep, see that appear from time to time from just about any location you can imagine.....no ore though. Maybe Swift mined every single ounce of it and just left kegs of freshly minted coinage buried here, stashed there.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that what silver is here in Ky is in lead seams. Mine the lead and you get some silver. Will it be in paying amounts? who is to say? Lead is heavy...if it contains trace amounts of silver and the amount of silver per ton would probably never be in paying amounts. Now, Mrs. Timmin's did find and had assayed samples from what she claimed was Swift's mine or one of them. Seems to me that she is the only case documented, so far. I think Curtis is on to solving the legend/story with the landmarks around Caney Creek being so similar to Swift Journal landmarks. Were those silver mines or lead mines? Since they are collasped we may never know.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Stuff Creek Crawler! The guy who found Swift and 1812 carved on a rock may not have found the Swift mine,(wrong date/time) but he found something.

Interesting though that one of the stories is near Beattyville, which is near the location (forks of the Ky river) that Harrod was supposed to be heading off to when he disappeared years earlier. Its also near the Lower Devil's creek carvings attributed to Swift. Also near the route of the warriors path (indian trace) that is mentioned in some versions of journals, passes through this area heading North and follows Swift Camp Creek to the Red River, from there is follows the Red River to Indian Creek and continues North from there up towards Frenchburg and/or Cave Run Lake areas.

Beattyville Area topo map
https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...3&zoom=16&map=auto&coord=d&mode=zoomin&size=m

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread