The find of a life time 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button & 1821 1/2 Real.

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
HI all
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Well I went out today with my friend Doug he a new sight to try. So we wen't out this past sunday morning. He had found some nice [/FONT]coin's last week there. So I was hopping to fine a real or a doubloon maybe
hmmm.gif
. Well I was hopping anyway. So it was a hell of a climb to the top of the hill. But we got there and start to hunt. The first hour did not find much but gun shells. It was a big field and wood's. Doug went in the wood's and I hit the field. My first good find was a large brass bar a good 2 ft long and 2 in. in diam. 10 lb. My next fine was what I thought was a large cent. Then I saw it was to thin it was a large button. At first it just seem to be a plain flat large button. I rubbed it to get off the mud off and then I saw a G. I told my self it can't be. So I rubbed it one more time and there was the W. I could not believe my eye's
yikes.gif
. A 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button it is a rare one. I first yelled at Doug but he could not hear me. So I ran to him and told him he better be sitting down. I thought his eye's were going to come out of his head. It took him a min. to get the wards out. When he did he gave me a big congrat's . He also told me that I got the big suck award for the year with a smile. So I wen't back and started up again. Within 10 feet I pull out a 1821 1/2 real what a day. I also pulled out a small button pewter and a spoon also pewter.

Attachments

• 20121126_5.JPG
    20121126_5.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 825
  • 20121126_4.JPG
    20121126_4.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 17

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He has gone "bye bye"... If he wants to spend his time signing up, we can spend the 2 seconds it takes to hit the one touch ban and delete icon and delete his account each time..

Johnny just needs to calm down a little. Hopefully he'll do that and make his way back on here because when he sticks to finds posts he almost seems normal! :icon_scratch: :)

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'd like to say this should end the nonsense that this post has caused, but experience tells me it won't. It blows my mind that adults find it OK to act juvenile online, and how racist remarks made it into a metal detecting forum still has me scratching my head. As a father of a black girl -- you can call her brown, African American... I call her beautiful -- I've realized that racism will always exist and it's a result of ignorance that's passed down from generation to generation. But I admit I'm more surprised at the high-school like mentality of comments back and forth. Seriously? I think we're mostly all adults give or take a few young hunters. I ran what was at one time the most popular online forum for BMXers, and had to shut it down due to abuse. But our audience was teenagers! I'd expect that. Not here. People hide behind their avatar and moniker and for whatever reason anonymity makes people behave differently than they would with you face to face. And usually that behavior is negative. It's like road rage: someone cuts you off and you curse them out and give them the finger (yes, I'm guilty of this time to time); meanwhile if you were walking down the street and someone got in your way you'd probably say "it's OK" after they apologized. I use my real name, use a real photo (yes, a very COOL photo) and link to my website. I'm not hard to find and identify. I am online as I am in real life. Most people don't act that way; it's like the Internet is a whole different world and they have license to be someone completely different.

Don't get me wrong. I WELCOME debate. It's how we learn! If you disagree with electrolysis, a wire brush, or cleaning at all, state your opinion and back it up with evidence, examples, etc. Name calling and attitude help no one. This forum and it's contributors has been an amazing resource to me. It's why I became a charter member. Very worth the money for the information I've gotten from the community and I was happy to give back to support the site. I'm not soured on this forum one bit. I expect people online to say stupid things. Sadly.

Anyway, that's my rant. I'm hoping we get back to good discussion: what we've found, how do ID it, how to clean it, and motivating each other to get back out there to swing and dig.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'd like to say this should end the nonsense that this post has caused, but experience tells me it won't. It blows my mind that adults find it OK to act juvenile online, and how racist remarks made it into a metal detecting forum still has me scratching my head. As a father of a black girl -- you can call her brown, African American... I call her beautiful -- I've realized that racism will always exist and it's a result of ignorance that's passed down from generation to generation. But I admit I'm more surprised at the high-school like mentality of comments back and forth. Seriously? I think we're mostly all adults give or take a few young hunters. I ran what was at one time the most popular online forum for BMXers, and had to shut it down due to abuse. But our audience was teenagers! I'd expect that. Not here. People hide behind their avatar and moniker and for whatever reason anonymity makes people behave differently than they would with you face to face. And usually that behavior is negative. It's like road rage: someone cuts you off and you curse them out and give them the finger (yes, I'm guilty of this time to time); meanwhile if you were walking down the street and someone got in your way you'd probably say "it's OK" after they apologized. I use my real name, use a real photo (yes, a very COOL photo) and link to my website. I'm not hard to find and identify. I am online as I am in real life. Most people don't act that way; it's like the Internet is a whole different world and they have license to be someone completely different.

Don't get me wrong. I WELCOME debate. It's how we learn! If you disagree with electrolysis, a wire brush, or cleaning at all, state your opinion and back it up with evidence, examples, etc. Name calling and attitude help no one. This forum and it's contributors has been an amazing resource to me. It's why I became a charter member. Very worth the money for the information I've gotten from the community and I was happy to give back to support the site. I'm not soured on this forum one bit. I expect people online to say stupid things. Sadly.

Anyway, that's my rant. I'm hoping we get back to good discussion: what we've found, how do ID it, how to clean it, and motivating each other to get back out there to swing and dig.

You know the stupid part about the whole racist thing is that I think a lot of the people who talk trash like that don't even really believe it, and have friends, or coworkers, or whatever, of many races. They do it because way too many people with extreme ideologies (whether made up or real) have been given too big a voice, and in most cases they too don't even believe half of what they say, it just makes them a boat load of money.

As for the cleaning part, I think I can at least change your mind to believing in some cleaning, in some cases, but as you can see there was a really stubborn spot on that letter A! :)

Attachments

• zbefore_after.jpg
    zbefore_after.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 108

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
You know the stupid part about the whole racist thing is that I think a lot of the people who talk trash like that don't even really believe it, and have friends, or coworkers, or whatever, of many races. They do it because way too many people with extreme ideologies (whether made up or real) have been given too big a voice, and in most cases they too don't even believe half of what they say, it just makes them a boat load of money.

As for the cleaning part, I think I can at least change your mind to believing in some cleaning, in some cases, but as you can see there was a really stubborn spot on that letter A! :)

Agreed. That's a beautiful clean job. What method did you use?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. That's a beautiful clean job. What method did you use?

Lemon juice and a lot of patience. Most crud cleaned up fairly fast, but it took me many hours over about 10 days or so to get to the point it is now. It's also waxed, which is why it shines a bit.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Lemon juice and a lot of patience. Most crud cleaned up fairly fast, but it took me many hours over about 10 days or so to get to the point it is now. It's also waxed, which is why it shines a bit.

Thanks. I'm working on a really crusted penny sized object which will probably turn out to be a slug but I'm going slow and steady. I accidentally soaked it in acv with some other stuff for a week but it seemed to do ok. Got rid of some crud.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm working on a really crusted penny sized object which will probably turn out to be a slug but I'm going slow and steady. I accidentally soaked it in acv with some other stuff for a week but it seemed to do ok. Got rid of some crud.

Yeah you have to be careful, what works on one thing doesn't necessarily work on the next.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it you didn't just leave it soak in the lemon juice. I know it can strip the guilding clean off, did you clean with a cotton bud and the juice over the ten days.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it you didn't just leave it soak in the lemon juice. I know it can strip the guilding clean off, did you clean with a cotton bud and the juice over the ten days.

SS

I probably had it in for maybe an hour tops, then after that just used drops where I needed them. The gilt had no problem taking it, it was where the gilt wasn't that would get more pitted if i left it in.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably had it in for maybe an hour tops, then after that just used drops where I needed them. The gilt had no problem taking it, it was where the gilt wasn't that would get more pitted if i left it in.
I know I have had buttons soaking in it to long, and the juice has turned green...destroys the copper and any patina that was there, so I try to avoid the juice on the copper, for long periods, or just use the cotton buds.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread